UTXMP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[tH]Angelus

Father of Wings
Mar 16, 2004
www.thclan.co.uk
I'm really sorry about posting this but i felt my opinion needed to be shared as it is "fair" (at least i think so) and u closed that other post just as i finished typing this :(

Well...

Surely we all want the same thing here: for UTXMP to be as successful as possible, and surely for a game to be successful it must attract as large a player base as possible, therefore for UTXMP to succeed it must attract both old U2XMP players and new UT2k4 players.

And yet...

FMI promised us almost a completely identical port of U2XMP to the UT2K4 engine to improve both support and netcode (ping issues), which thankfully have been addressed. :)

But then...

We (the old and experienced players of the original U2XMP) are all arguing for the same cause (a playable ranger class). Surely it is our experience and knowledge of the original game (which was promised to be kept in UTXMP as much as possible) that you must rely on. For it is us that know the potential attractive power of XMP. It is a game with a quality i dont believe I have experienced in any other game: "Style". There is a certain feeling you perceive when you are in the air after a dodge and as you turn 180 degrees and zoom your rifle in, you catch the ranger chasing you and kill him, then proceed to escape with an intricate series of wall jumps and other tricks you have learned over time and practice.

But now...

You are suggesting we no longer need these tricks, we no longer need this "Style" in the game to accomidate the less experienced. Surely it is much more logical and preferable to all if this "style" and "flair" remains in the game we have grown to love so much. We do need players who can run circles round others and headshot them while dodge-boosting sideways, we need players who run in straight lines spamming gas, we need the full range of players, good and bad, rangers, techs, gunners. we need XMP!

And so...

I say we need to accept players who have more skill and knowledge of maps, we need to accept those who have no knowledge and teach them. Rather than removing from the game we need to add to it, maybe even more "tricks" and "skills" that are intentionally put in that the more commited players may discover. We must agree that removing from the game can in no way improve it. In any game it is the details which make a game, in U2XMP perhaps the most potent detail was its style of movement; players who were more experienced were able to move faster than those who were not, players trained others in movement, there were different styles of movement created by different players and for different situations. The players of U2XMP discovered for themselves what was possible and we were left with few boundaries in our development of techniques.

And now...

Some of the best movers in the game we all loved (Kaio, Headwire etc) tell us they cannot move.
Some of the best shots in the game we all loved (Lippen, Guppy etc) tell us they cannot shoot.
Some of the best gunners in the game we all loved (Silver, Naib etc) tell us that the gunner is too easy to play now.

Surely we must listen to these people as they are clearly experienced and have spent a great amount of time developing themselves in U2XMP and they understand better than anyone what their particular skills should be like if the game is to resemble U2XMP.

Finally...

I propose a simple solution: U2XMP: "Style", "Flair" and "No limits"
Classes balanced "U2XMP Style"
Movement "U2XMP Style"
Crosshairs "U2XMP Style"
Netcode "UT2K4 Style"
<3 "U2XMP Style"

And then we have the perfect game with a huge player base

Rant Over

BetaButterfly

Banned
Dec 2, 2004
www.nobullclan.org
[tH]Angelus said:
Some of the best movers in the game we all loved (Kaio, Headwire etc) tell us they cannot move.
Some of the best shots in the game we all loved (Lippen, Guppy etc) tell us they cannot shoot.
Some of the best gunners in the game we all loved (Silver, Naib etc) tell us that the gunner is too easy to play now.

I propose a simple solution: U2XMP: "Style", "Flair" and "No limits"
Movement "U2XMP Style"
Crosshairs "U2XMP Style"
Netcode "UT2K4 Style"
<3 "U2XMP Style"

And then we have the perfect game with a huge player base

Rant Over

I know it's still beta, but I couldn't agree more with this post. The balance is off, and that's the biggest thing that made U2XMP so great.

Ranger and techie need to be brought back up to where they were in u2xmp AND the gunner needs to be brought back down to where they were in u2xmp. I used to play mainly tech in u2xmp, but since utxmp, I play gunner because it's so obviously the "super" class now.

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
U2XMP was not perfect. You sacrificed it's bad net code and plethora of glitches, bugs, and exploits because you enjoyed the game play and the game type.

UTXMP will differ from what YOU specifically want in some way shape or form. Every single one of us will have at least one thing we will not like about it, and chances are.. at least one thing we will truly despise more than having naked pictures of Oprah pop up in our minds out of nowhere as well.

The point is, you compromised some things for other things in the original and you then grew to love what the result was. The same will happen for this. You can't tailor to one specific groups needs, and regardless of how often the argument is brought up and discussed amongst people who think that 'debates' are like primitive mating scenes where the weak fall from the herd, are thrown to the ground, and get savagely torn to shreds by razor-sharp claws.. it won't change the fact that YOU MUST COMPROMISE.

And about the locking;

Stop quoting single sentences out of people's posts whose ideas differ from your own and taking their statements out of context and contorting their objectives to fit your own malicious intent to make them look stupid and you look superior, and maybe things like having threads be locked will cease to be a problem on this, the long list of what "should" be :rolleyes:

Reiteration; You = Generalized.

[tH]Angelus

Father of Wings
Mar 16, 2004
www.thclan.co.uk
I really want to avoid any sort of flame war but:

I beg to differ on 2 points:

1. U2XMP "was" as close to perfect as i have ever seen any game (other than its netcode)

2. Catering for groups needs: We (experienced U2XMP players) are the only group that it is possible to cater for as anyone else simply has no idea of what to expect and they cannot voice the exact things that they know will make UTXMP great.

Of course i understand we must compromise something for the beauty of the low ping and good fps but must we change so much to compensate?

I simply wish to enjoy my gaming and for others to enjoy it with me, we are all aiming for the same purpose, the goal of making XMP succeed like it never has before. Of course we must compromise but lets at least "try" to make UTXMP perfect, not for the experienced XMP gamers, not for the new inexperienced players, not for the middle of the range, average players but for everybody at a different level.

Let the experienced players show each other trick jumps and make videos of them.

Let the average players fight the experienced ones and be trained by them to improve and become experienced and great players.

Let the new players experience the whole range of gameplay, let them learn from their mistakes and let them be taught what energy is and what a concussion grenade can really do from other players.

Let the community teach itself and balance the field in that way rather than forcing certain instabilities into the game

<3
:)

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
I feel you Angelus but the problem is first drawing the players to create the community. If you don't have something that 2K4 players, regardless of mode they currently play, can identify with, recognize, or appeal to them.. all we are left with is the same 120 people we've been playing against for the past year or so. And quite frankly, I'm getting sick of you jerks ;P

JK. But yeah, it's double bladed I guess you could say.

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
I used to play various classes, and now i am working on gunner, it seems a lot easier to get someone with the gunner in utxmp, than it was in u2xmp... lol... but other than that, the gunner's movement needs not be tweaked, but the conc nades still annoy me a little bit ( not enough power on the recoil ).

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
While I never was a "professional" U2XMP player, personally I find the best games are the one's where the competive community likes it. However, that being said, I don't notice any of the horrible imbalances in UTXMP that the competive community mentions. Not sure if it has just been too long since I played U2XMP or if they just can't comprehend that a game could be slightly different from U2XMP, but not be dumbed down. Personally, I want to play the next patch before I do any serious commenting on gameplay.

XMP.Arc

+-aka Arcturus, HalcYoN, goBOT etc-+
AFFIRMATIVE!!
AFFIRMATIVE!!

Mantik.... I respect your opinion. You know in your heart Angelus is right. I suggest firing up U2XMP right after a bout of UTxmp beta to review. It then becomes instantly recognizable.
I fully believe FMI intends to make good on this project and bring the current beta closer to original 'diamond in the rough' that Legend created.

Angelus Quote:
Movement "U2XMP Style"
Crosshairs "U2XMP Style"
Netcode "UT2K4 Style"
<3 "U2XMP Style"

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Mantik said:
I feel you Angelus but the problem is first drawing the players to create the community. If you don't have something that 2K4 players, regardless of mode they currently play, can identify with, recognize, or appeal to them.. all we are left with is the same 120 people we've been playing against for the past year or so. And quite frankly, I'm getting sick of you jerks ;P

JK. But yeah, it's double bladed I guess you could say.
:tup:

like Maest I am from this moment onward not posting in anymore of the worthless "problems with whatever" threads that keep popping up until the next patch.

PhatAzz

Phat n Pnunky Phreaky Phunny Phull
Sep 15, 2004
Three lines:

1) UTXMP != U2XMP
2) Adapt or die.
3) Deal with it and hope things change for the better.

Obviously, FMI aren't stupid. They know certain things need work. They also know how to prioritize. So, they are working on certain things first, and as time goes on address a lot of the issues that you have.

BUT, last thing, anyone wants to hear is a rant that assumes FMI is deaf and doesn't give 2 ****s about what people want. In fact, they could very well not care in which case your post might make them care - in a negative way. So be supportive and work with them, rather then insult them and their work.

Angelus, everything that you posted, everyone knows publicly. You didn't raise anyone's concerns, you didn't bring something new up, you didn't offer any real solution, but you did bitich.

Thx and GG

Last edited:

tabasco

Nov 23, 2004
Three lines:

1) UTXMP != U2XMP
2) Adapt or die.
3) Deal with it and hope things change for the better.

Obviously, FMI aren't stupid. They know certain things need work. They also know how to prioritize. So, they are working on certain things first, and as time goes on address a lot of the issues that you have.

ditto.

Silver Sequence

XMP Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2004
The gunner will be nerfed in the next build, and the ranger and tech will get some fixes (including headshots). I have to disagree with the part of the post from many of the best movers and snipers in u2xmp. I know that I rank well among the top all around rangers from xmp and I do find utxmp challengine, but I'm also finding that most of the old tricks are still there. It takes different timing now is all. Wall jumping, boostdodging, even bunnyhopping are still possible but the physics engine is a little different so it reacts differently. There are some new moves that weren't in xmp that allow for even faster movment in some cases. For instance, there is more air control now than ever before. I can change directions and arcs in my jumps 10X better than one could in xmp. I honestly feel that this has a lot to do with the difficulty rangers are having (along with the x-hairs). I think that we're being too quick to blame utxmp hopping movment when the real problems are elsewhere. One thing that the rangers have now that the other classes don't is skii moving, if you use your jumpjets at the last possible second you can now use them to do a wierd skii effect where you actually slide along flat ground. I find this to be a better dodging technique to avoid snipers than almost anything in u2xmp because the speed changes during the slide making it hard to hit. Yes the lack of long bunny hopping chains is annoying, but equivalent movment techniques, and even new ones are still there. Yes it has a new learning curve, so some of the old players are feeling a bit down. Yes the gunner is overpowered atm. Yes the pistol will be fixed. But wer're looking in the wrong places for fixes. For instance, the pistol being fixed is alright, but I'd rather keep it as is and give me back fast weapon switching. The strength of the pistol was that I could quickly go from pistol to nade laucher to sniper rifle, wheras now if I empty a clip I have to wait to reload before I switch weapons. Fellow rangers out there, think about it and tell me if that istn't more crippling than movment differences. Let's work hard to look at the big picture and consider all possiblities during this beta so that we can make the best utxmp possible, no matter how much it looks like u2xmp.
-Love to everyone,
=vD=Drunken