UTXMP Trickjump vid

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
:hmm:

I guess it was too much for me to expect that no one would figure out how to triple jump. I never officially reported itopenly, but I mentioned it several times to CaptainKewl.

In the interest of general fairness (because honestly, triple jumping totally ruins the movement since you can fly way farther than you are supposed to and even fall and survive...) I guess I'll reveal how 12m pulled this off.

There is currently a bug in Patch 1a (and has existed since the beginning of the Beta) where you can get a second boost at a very minimal draw off of a boost jump. The way to do it is very simple, if you knew how to super boost in UT2k3 or U2XMP.

To do a super boost, simply stand right next to a wall and press jump-> strafe-jump-strafe (quickly) and you will jump higher/farther than you normally would. Thanks to the prevalent bug, however, you can press jump again anytime during that jump as long as you pulled off the super boost correctly. Normally in UT2k4 this would give you no real advantage considering the flat trajectory of super boosting. However, with the addition of the booster in UTXMP, you can get quite alot of height off a jump like this.

Just watch the video and you'll see. You can see where they do the first boost and then the second boost all during the same jump (you have to pay attention during most of them, but the jump and then fall on Alcazar is pretty noticeable.

If anyone wants ingame help with this I'd be happy to offer it. Just for reference, this jump can get you from the statue things around the spawns on ValleyofApes all the way up to the artifact node in one jump.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
it IS a bug.

Just for reference here is an image. The statue things I'm talking about circled in red. The blue line is the path you take.

Attachments

• promo1.jpg
    promo1.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 93

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
bleh,
it's a great video and i'm sure there's a ton of skill getting it right but i'd hate to see it in the release version of utxmp because being able to shortcut a map in that way would be unfair, hinder gameplay and wasn't what the mappers intended when they planned gameflow.
i'm being too serious aren't i

cyb

Dec 15, 2003
Sir_Brizz said:
I guess it was too much for me to expect that no one would figure out how to triple jump. I never officially reported itopenly, but I mentioned it several times to CaptainKewl.

In the interest of general fairness (because honestly, triple jumping totally ruins the movement since you can fly way farther than you are supposed to and even fall and survive...) I guess I'll reveal how 12m pulled this off.
:stupid:

i haven't seen a single bit that looked like a hack or bug abuse in this video. most if not all jumps can be done on U2XMP too. and the movement is, what makes XMP fun.

i know, this is the time were you come in again, telling all people about the 'concept' and how movement does not make XMP ... blabla

but i said 'makes fun'. FMI took away lasermine-jumps and concussion jump for whatever reason, at least they should now stick to the 'normal' movement the 'old' people are used to from U2XMP. sprint, dodge, jump, jetpack are all there for a reason - to be used. if you do not like the many different movement capabilities maybe doom2 multiplayer could be a game for you. :rolleyes:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
cyb said:
:stupid:

i haven't seen a single bit that looked like a hack or bug abuse in this video. most if not all jumps can be done on U2XMP too. and the movement is, what makes XMP fun.

i know, this is the time were you come in again, telling all people about the 'concept' and how movement does not make XMP ... blabla

but i said 'makes fun'. FMI took away lasermine-jumps and concussion jump for whatever reason, at least they should now stick to the 'normal' movement the 'old' people are used to from U2XMP. sprint, dodge, jump, jetpack are all there for a reason - to be used. if you do not like the many different movement capabilities maybe doom2 multiplayer could be a game for you. :rolleyes:
I'm going to share with you the wisdom of the ages.

That emotiocon you posted mean you AGREE with the post you quoted. Why do you think it says "I'm WITH stupid"?

Anyways, you're right, it is a concept and movement doesn't make the game. However, movement does affect the gameplay at certain extremes. This is one of them.

None of these jumps are possible in U2XMP (on this scale). Please find me a trickjump video where someone jumps halfway across NaKoja without blinking (or hacking). Thanks.

Or maybe you are missing the point. YOU ACTUALLY BOOST TWICE. This isn't walljumping and THEN boosting, this is walldodging and then BOOSTING TWICE. It's not right, it's not supposed to be allowed, and they've already tried to fix it (apparently unsuccessfully). I guarantee you this movement is unintended and will be removed.

Pro-Pain

¹²M UTXMP Captain
Feb 15, 2004
Just watch the energy bars and tell me again how many times they boost.
These guys are among the best in xmp movement so just give them credits for it or su. If I know them right they'll prolly take this as a complimant so np.

Just wait until they release a frag movie :eek:

Last edited:

cyb

Dec 15, 2003
i just watched the movie again and every, i repeat, every single jump was ok. they do NOT boost twice in a row without hitting a wall or terrain in between. many experienced players can do these kind of jumps, simply because we had a whole year to find out, what the classes are capable of and know how and where to use (or misuse) the terrain, walls and mushrooms, mappers gave us.

nbk-Lei

XMP Beta Tester
Jul 14, 2004
I'm with Pro and cyb, these type of jumps were in U2XMP as well. If you payed attention to the video, you'd notice the 1st boost BEFORE dodging off the wall, and the 2nd boost after. Watch the video again, and maybe after..give credit where credit's due.

Very nice job DeLa and Boocker!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Most of those jumps are triple jumps! And most of them are without hitting any terrain between the first boost and the second boost.

This is UTXMP not U2XMP, it should be quite obvious that all those things you found out about the different classes aren't applying here. Watch the video. They are doing their first boost off the wall then boosting again in the middle of their jump on every single one of the far jumps. How do you think that their energy goes from 100 to 30? That's 50 for a dodge boost and 20 for a regular boost.

edit: I'm not trying to diminish how cool the jumps are. I mean, they do a good job on the ones they show. I'm just telling you the plain reality of this. They are using triple jumping to do cool jumps. I would still give them props.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyb

Dec 15, 2003
Sire_Brizz said:
Most of those jumps are triple jumps! And most of them are without hitting any terrain between the first boost and the second boost.
wrong.

nbk-Lei said:
If you payed attention to the video, you'd notice the 1st boost BEFORE dodging off the wall, and the 2nd boost after.
right.

nbk-Lei

XMP Beta Tester
Jul 14, 2004
I still fail to see their energy drop 3 different times in any one of those jumps. Which ones are you talking about specifically? Because -to me-, NONE of those jumps look anything different than the type of trick jumps that were done in U2XMP.

I guess I find it hard to believe because I've never even accidentally (at least that I know of) hit a 3rd boost while trick/wall jumping in UTXMP.

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
it IS a bug.

Just for reference here is an image. The statue things I'm talking about circled in red. The blue line is the path you take.[/QUOTE

Brizz,

It now makes complete sense to me why you lobby so hard to have UTXMP changed as much as possible when it comes to movement. If you think the jump you describe is anything special then you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about. Let me explain something to you about wall jumping in U2XMP/UTXMP. In a properly executed wall jump, there ARE two boost's involved. There's one before you hit the wall and one after the dodge off the wall. The closer the two boost's are together the longer you travel. The jump that you describe is one of the easiest I've ever seen. It's also one of the shortest(for the ranger).

This behaviour is NOT a bug and will NOT be removed. If I remember correctly this behaviour was a bug in 2k3 and intentionally brought over to U2XMP and thus BELONGS in UTXMP. I'm really tired of your rediculous argument that UTXMP isn't U2XMP. It makes no sense to keep harping that. You are way too vocal on matters that you seem to not know what you are talking about. You say you played U2XMP, but from what I've read in your posts, you obviously never quite understood how the mechanics of the movement worked. Or, maybe you just couldn't do the things you say don't belong in the game. Or got owned by someone that did them better. I don't know. Your latest diatribe on ranger wall jumping just proves your ignorance on the matter. Please do me a favor, sit down, and stfu. I'm tired of reading the things you spew forth. You only irritate matters instead of help them, IMO.

Personally, I think we could all live with the movement that's in UTXMP as it stands. There are some obvious tweaks that need to be made to a few things, but for the most part it's fine. The game is still fun. However, I see absolutely NO reason why, if programmatically possible, that the movement in UTXMP can't be just like it was in U2XMP.

PETsnake

www.p3t.org bitch
Feb 25, 2004
alas, it appears that instead of creating producting criticism to move utxmp towards a clan playable, final version, we are stuck in that fitfull circle jerk, brizz being the soggy muffin of course. Jago is right, lei is right, ect ect ect.

Videos like this are a great assett to the community as it draws in the excitement of new players, and also shows them ways to learn the more exciting points of xmp. I remember the first time i learned to wall jump on the top of alcazar, i thought, holy @#$% this is the coolest game ever. Things like this let us overlook the shortcomings of games and keep us interested in the long run. Trying to dumb down the 'perks' is what cripples mainstream gaming today, brizz, if you want a cut and dry gaming experience, try call of duty, in that game you can sit and hide behind a rock whilst the enemy walks in a straight line from cover to cover, i think you would find such a game very entertaining as there is no 'space monkey' jumping going on.

jago, <3

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
nbk-Lei said:
I still fail to see their energy drop 3 different times in any one of those jumps. Which ones are you talking about specifically? Because -to me-, NONE of those jumps look anything different than the type of trick jumps that were done in U2XMP.

I guess I find it hard to believe because I've never even accidentally (at least that I know of) hit a 3rd boost while trick/wall jumping in UTXMP.
There aren't three boosts, there are two, and they are both performed after the dodge has BEGUN. There is a jump, then boost->boost.

It is a bug, I don't give a flying crap what you people think or not (veteran u2xmp players :rolleyes: ). There isn't the slightest fleeting of a doubt in my mind that it would have been removed in U2XMP were Legend still supporting it, and if you check the changelogs for UTXMP you will see there have already been attempts to remove triple jumping from the game.

If all the fodder you have against me is "if you think this is a bug you don't know crap about u2xmp" then go eat someone's wanker.
jago said:
If I remember correctly this behaviour was a bug in 2k3 and intentionally brought over to U2XMP and thus BELONGS in UTXMP.
You don't remember correctly. The bug is a result of an exploit that existed in 2k3 that was coded around by Legend likely because they didn't even know it existed. "Walljumping" was not in prevalent use until AFTER the 7710 patch. I'm not convinced it was even KNOWN before the 7710 patch. It exists in UTXMP only as a result of the same bug (now recognized and tweaked) in 2k4. I still have yet to see a trickjump video from U2XMP where jumps like these are done. If you think Legend KNEW about super boosting and intentionally left it in the game, you must be sitting in a cold dark room surrounded by your own urine.

Additionally, if anyone irritates matters, it's all of you "UTXMP being different" naysayers. I post hoping that FMI will read my post and realize that not all of the community feels like you guys do. I love XMP and I want to see it succeed, it doesn't need to suck any worse than it started to on U2XMP anymore. Problems can be fixed (and yes the ridiculous movement is part of those problems). If you can't deal with reading my posts (unlike all the rest of the community, even many that don't agree with me) then just ignore me. I really don't give a crap if you read my posts or even respond to them. In fact, I wouldn't mind if you didn't respond to them, considering the crap that spews forh everytime you do. Do you think your arguments are good? "U2XMP was like that UTXMP has to be like that" Do you think that "most of the community" agrees with you? It's not very likely. As much as you are on one side of the XMP coin, I am very much on the other. I want the CONCEPT of XMP to succeed and now it finally can. You want U2XMP to SURVIVE and that's just not going to happen.

Bring on the brick walls!

Last edited by a moderator:

cyb

Dec 15, 2003
irre.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.