UTXMP (Client, not server) under linux

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twigathy

Feb 7, 2004
Hi guys, just thought you might like to know that UTXMP does work in linux! This is untested on any box except mine though!

There are a LOT of stages to this, unfortunately, but heres how I got here.

Firstly, you'll need to install Linux if you havent done so already. My distro of choice is centOS. Dont ask why, I think someone recommended it to me. Once you have installed your ditro of choice, you'll need to install the kernel sources and kernel-development packages so that the nVidia 3D drivers can compile its kernel module. (Im assuming you are using nVidia under linux because ATI under linux is, uh, well....lets just say I'm not trying it again).

The nVidia site has different versions of the drivers, make sure you get the one that is correct for your architecture. I'm running an Athlon 64 3000+, using CentOS x86_64 (So, 64 bit)...so I needed the 64Bit drivers. This should be reasonably obvious.

The bit that tripped me up was that you need to kill the X server before you can install the nVidia drivers. To do this, I hit "ctrl-alt-F1" to go to a text based console, typed in "init 3" to go to runlevel 3 (this nukes X). Once you have got this far, you can install the nVidia drivers using "./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7667-pkg2.run" while in the appropriate directory. This opens up a pretty nice installer, if it cant find your kernal somethingorother and wants to download one from the nVidia FTP then say "no" and let it compile a new kernel somethingorother (Sorry, cant remember quite what its called :p). Once this is done, you'll need to edit your xorg.conf (Im assuming X.org instead of XFree86) which is in /etc/X11/ . I took a crash course in vi here, and edited the nv driver (Default) to nvidia so it used the 3D driver. Navigate around vi using the cursor keys and hit "i" when you want to insert some text. Press escape to come out of edit more, hit :w to save and :q to quit. Please note that you need to be logged in as root to edit the xorg.conf! The relevent section from my xorg.conf is below:

Code:
Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
	VendorName  "Gigabyte"
	BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT"
EndSection

Right, so far so good? Next thing to do is to do a "startx" in a different screen (hit ctrl-alt-F2 or something) once you have logged in as a normal user. If it comes up ok, then you are probably fine. If not then, uh, well....yeah. *coughs* Im no linux expert so i cant help much. :(. Open up a console, type in "glxgears" and check that you are getting a reasonable FPS. Output from glxgears for me is as follows:
Code:
58312 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11662.400 FPS
60950 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12190.000 FPS
60953 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12190.600 FPS
60590 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12118.000 FPS

Now, stick in your UT2004 DVD / CD1 (hah, sucker, you bought the CD edition!). There should be an install script in the root of the DVD/CD/Monkey, double click it to execute it. UT2004 installer should run, enter CD key etc. and keep the install directories the same if you can. Once UT is installed, you'll need to grab a bittorent client, like azureus. If you havent got java installed, you might need to download and install that first too.

Grab the torrents on this site for UT2004 patch 3355 and UTXMP, torrent away for a while....lalalalaaa.....install the Patch 3355 by opening up a console, navigating to wherever you downloaded the patch to and install it using ./Name.of.patch.here (You might need to be root to do this). Run UT2004 once the patch is installed just to check its still working. You can then quit out of UT2004 and install UTXMP using the same method you did to install UT2004 patch 3355. The UTXMP installer does take a little while, so be patient ;). Once you have installed UTXMP, its almost all over....pull up a console, cd to wherever you installed UT2004 and ./utxmp will get you playing XMP.

PLEASE NOTE that for some insane reason i'm stuck at 800x600 in UTXMP, and 1024x768 in UT2004. If anyone know why this is or how I can edit the resolutions available to me, then prod me severely.

Best of luck to you all! I hope this works for someone who wants to play UTXMP on linux!

My system is as follows: CentOS 4.1, Linux 2.6.9-11.EL [x86_64/1.81GHz], AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512MB RAM, Gigabyte Geforce 6600GT, Latest Linux nVidia Drivers, MSI K8N Neo2.

I apologise in advance if this post seems rushed, im kind of on a mini-buzz because i got UTXMP working in linux (FINALLY!)