UTSecure and MapVote b11

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Yogi

Jul 13, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

I have some trouble with UTSecure and MapVote. Certain players get the message "Modified package detected" when MapVote kicks in (at the end of a game) but they have no modified packages! I searched a little bit an found this thread http://forums.bfgn.com/viewtopic.php?t=516&highlight=utsecure.

Are there any solution for this problem or maybe an explanation why this "Modified package detected" shows up when MapVote kicks in?

Bye,

Yogi

BDB

May 9, 2000
NC, USA
www.planetunreal.com
I have never been able to reproduce this problem
and my assumption all along is that it was a UTSecure problem.
Can anyone tell me exactly how to reproduce this
problem.
Tell me every little detailed thing that you do from
the time you start UT2003.
For example, did you connect to a server that had a different version
of mapvote or didnt have mapvote before connecting
to the server that you had the Mod Pkg error ?
Also, can someone supply a client log file that has this error ?

Last edited:

Sailsoft

May 4, 2003
Visit site
We also ran across this same problem on our server.

The problem is that it doesn't happen every time, but a couple of time a day... It allways happens after completing a map, and mapvote comes up. So it can be that I have played 10 maps on our server, and after those maps mapvote comes up normally, and it works great....
And then suddenly the next time after a map I get this error...

We recently removed Utsecure and it never happened again....
So is must be the combination..

I don't have a log any more, so I hope somebody else can supply you with that...

|Robot|Paragon

Jul 20, 2003
Its not related to mapvote. UTsecure will do that if, a, you have dl'ed certain packages required for certain mopds on other servers, and/or b, you have changed your ini to get the Brock/Lauren skins without beeting the single player game. Take those lines out of your ini and empty your cache. This will prove that when you rejoin a mapvote enabled server that it is not mapvote causing the problem.

Sailsoft

May 4, 2003
Visit site
|Robot|Paragon said:
Its not related to mapvote. UTsecure will do that if, a, you have dl'ed certain packages required for certain mopds on other servers.

If that was the case, then I would have expected that I would be kicked before, or deffenatly right after, the first game.....
But that's not the case. Could play for 10 or 15 games, and then be kicked....

|Robot|Paragon said:
and/or b, you have changed your ini to get the Brock/Lauren skins without beeting the single player game. Take those lines out of your ini and empty your cache. This will prove that when you rejoin a mapvote enabled server that it is not mapvote causing the problem.

Nope, haven't done that.....

|Robot|Paragon

Jul 20, 2003
Since you havent changed the ini then its related to mods. I have had this happen on TTM servers with utsecure 211 as well as ut2vote servers with utsecure 211. Try emptying you cache and see what happens. Ive even had it happen with other players which i know quite well for same reasons. I do wish it were just one vote system causing it but sad truth is its not.

Yogi

Jul 13, 2003
Visit site
|Robot|Paragon said:
Since you havent changed the ini then its related to mods. I have had this happen on TTM servers with utsecure 211 as well as ut2vote servers with utsecure 211. Try emptying you cache and see what happens. Ive even had it happen with other players which i know quite well for same reasons. I do wish it were just one vote system causing it but sad truth is its not.

Nope, ini is not changed, cache is empty, no other mods installed (clean fresh installation) and still the same problem. It's just UTSecure and MapVote which is installed on the server but when MapVote kicks in the message "modified package detected" comes up.

I checked the UTSecure.log file and saw that UTSecure always (for all players which had the problems) complains that the "playerskins" are modified but that's not true, the playerskins are the original skins without any modifications. So I removed the "playerskins" from the UTSecure check and voila not one even one "modified package detected" message comes up. Of course that's not the solution because without this check a lot of hacks still work.

Sorry, I have no further information only that this stupid "modified package detected" message comes up when MapVote kicks in (at the end of the game) I never got this message in the middle of the game or in the beginning but often at the end of the game when it's "MapVote time".

Bye,

Yogi

BDB

May 9, 2000
NC, USA
www.planetunreal.com
MapVote does display the Player Protrait in the kick vote tab which I think comes from the playerskin.
Try disabling Kick Voting so that the that window doesn't load.

Yogi

Jul 13, 2003
Visit site
BDB said:
MapVote does display the Player Protrait in the kick vote tab which I think comes from the playerskin.
Try disabling Kick Voting so that the that window doesn't load.

Nope, I tried it, still the same problem. Always the "playerskins" with a wrong MD5 checksum. I don't know how to solve the problem.

Bye,

Yogi

Yogi

Jul 13, 2003
Visit site
Strange behavior of UTSecure/MapVote

Hi,

I could figure out what happens at the end of the game when MapVote kicks in. UTSecure/AntiTCC displays the message "modified package detected" and the UTSecure.log shows this entry

Code:
[INSECURE CLIENT] Player
[INSECURE CLIENT] has a modifed PlayerSkins
[INSECURE CLIENT] MD5 of [091cb7c31bf174f9c28458df9a55e34b] expected [084b130ae3446290c7093339464117d5]

But UTSecure is wrong because it compares the PlayerSkins on the server (it's the MD5 sum from there) instead of the PlayerSkins on the client side :). The Playerskins on the server are not the same as on the client because the server needs no PlayerSkins :).

One solution is to copy the PlayerSkins from the client to the server and the "modified package detected" problem at the end of the game is gone but I think this is a serious bug in UTSecure/MapVote! It looks like that the combination MapVote/UTSecure triggers this bug (I don't know why, maybe you can tell me :)?) and it looks like that it is related to Windows bases servers and not to Unix based server.

Maybe this helps you to find/fix the bug?

Bye,

Yogi

Last edited:

BDB

May 9, 2000
NC, USA
www.planetunreal.com
So adding the skins to the server fixes this problem ??
Can anyone else confirm this. If so I'll send this info to DrSin so he can fix UTSecure.
So I'm assuming that you are running the ServerOnly version of UT2003. Right ?

Yogi

Jul 13, 2003
Visit site
BDB said:
So adding the skins to the server fixes this problem ??

Yep, it's strange but after I figured out that the MD5 sum which UTSecure displays is the MD5 sum form the PlayerSkins on the server I thought it's worth a try tp copy the client PlayerSkins to the server.

BDB said:
So I'm assuming that you are running the ServerOnly version of UT2003. Right ?

Yes, it's a dedicated server with Windows Server 2003 and UT2003 in Version 2225 (both Bonuspacks installed) and it runs with MapVote b11, AntiTCC 1.06/UTSecure 2.11 and SuperBotv2_2 (it doesn't matter if this Mutator is enabled or not).

Bye,

Yogi

HornDog

Propeller head
Sep 27, 2003
horndogshouse.com
"Modified package detected"

Yogi said:
Hi,

I have some trouble with UTSecure and MapVote. Certain players get the message "Modified package detected" when MapVote kicks in (at the end of a game) but they have no modified packages! I searched a little bit an found this thread http://forums.bfgn.com/viewtopic.php?t=516&highlight=utsecure.

Are there any solution for this problem or maybe an explanation why this "Modified package detected" shows up when MapVote kicks in?

Bye,

Yogi

The problem is with UTsecure. I have a server without MapVote and I get
the same "Modified package detected". The problem is UTsecure does not know how to handle
EOG when some one logs on. The hopeful solution is to scrap UTSecure and
get AntiTCC1.08. Wormbo has removed the UTSecure file and uses a new security algorithm.

http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/

BTW I have three other servers that use MapVote 400b11 Great program.

HornDog

BDB

May 9, 2000
NC, USA
www.planetunreal.com
FYI, A few weeks ago I tracked down the problem that
causes players to be kicked if they join the server after
the end of game. It is a UT2003 bug. If UTSecure is
running on the server then you will get a "Modified
package detected" and it will list playerskins in the log
file. Epic has a fix for this that will be in the next UT2003 patch.
I'm not sure if this is the exact same problem or not.