UTJB Arena Problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Arenas

Heya
I've been mapping JB-HallOfGiants for UTJB, and I've got a problem that always causes a general protection fault, and its always caused when an arena fight is about to begin.

• The arena is made up of 4 zones, and in 2 of these zones there is a JBArenaStart actor.
  • There is a JBArenaZone in one of them (which happens to have one of the JBArenaStarts in it), and the other 3 zones have their ZoneTag property set to the same property as the SlaveZoneTag of the JBArenaZone.

The problem to me appears to be that the JBArenaStart's arent in the same zone. However, for this arena, they MUST be in a different zone. (Since the other 2 zones connect the zones with the player starts in them.)

The diagram attached may help.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Attachments

• ArenaZone Problems.JPG
    ArenaZone Problems.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Rob

Hole in one!
Nov 19, 2002
France
Visit site
ZedMaestro said:
The problem to me appears to be that the JBArenaStart's arent in the same zone.
Maybe. Link the 2 zones with player starts with a brush (like in Community and Hydro32), thus they'll become a single zone. Then you'll see if it works or not.

Last edited:

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Thanks Rob, that worked!

But something else cropped up. (hence thread title change)

I got the following General Protection Fault:

General Protection Fault!

Histry: AActor::processState <- ObjectJBTMale2Bot JB-HallOfGiants 3.JBTMale2Bot0, Old State State Botpack.Bot.FallingState, New State State Botpack.Bot.FallingState <- AActor::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

I keep on getting quite a few general protection faults on this map. I dont know what to do. It appears to happen each time an arena match is about to start, though I'm not sure yet - I'll look into it more.
PLEASE HELP if you can!

Last edited:

Sexmachine

- retired -
Feb 5, 2002
Germany
www.planetjailbreak.com
Not "many" but "some" ... yeah - no clue and no fix for that one (may have something to do with pathing and happens mostly in maps with either T/L enabled or a spacey environment ... just guesswork here - sorry Zed)

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
Your first problem occured because the JBArenaStart actors all have to be in the original zone, they can't be in the slave zones, but you've already fixed that so it doesn't matter :)

It's still possible they're related though, I think there's some AI built into the arena fight to get the bots to begin fighting immediately or some such. It sounds like you've got a fairly complex arena (how complicated is the botpathing for this?), it's possible that might cause some sort of problem with the AI additions, not sure how to fix such a thing though :(

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
the map's pathing is exactly the same as its CTF version. The arena pathing is dead simple. Theres the playerstarts, as shown in the pic above, then path nodes in the "north, south, east, west" position of the circles, with path nodes just inside the speed tubes which connect thru the tubes and out the other side. Its made up of 2 JBArenaStarts and pathnodes. Nothing clever.

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Right, ok, the problem has been fixed in a similar way to the arena in JB-Community.

The "unknown-cause" error appears sometimes, but if that cant be helped, then nevermind.

Just thinking to JB2003, is this able to understand arena PlayerStarts that arent in the same zone defined by the ArenaZoneInfo actor? ie, can PlayerStarts in JB2003 arenas be placed in other zones, or even volumes? It would be very helpful if they could be.

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
He knows that, he's making a map or two for JB2003, remember!

I'd say though, ZedMaestro, judging by the way the jails are done in JB2003 (though I guess I shouldn't mention it here ;)), that the playerstarts will be able to be in any volume/zone that is declared part of the arena. In fact, if it wasn't that way, JB2003 arenas would simply have to be encompassed in one large volume (because volumes have to be convex), which wouldn't be very flexible at all!

Anyway, answer to your question: Yes, I'd say they can be put in any arena zone or volume, spank me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Mychaeel

ZedMaestro said:
Just thinking to JB2003, is this able to understand arena PlayerStarts that arent in the same zone defined by the ArenaZoneInfo actor? ie, can PlayerStarts in JB2003 arenas be placed in other zones, or even volumes? It would be very helpful if they could be.
Jailbreak 2003 doesn't require any distinct zone (or volume) for arenas at all anymore. You basically only "attach" a bunch of PlayerStarts to a JBInfoArena actor; it's of no consequence where those PlayerStarts are located.

There is a "shortcut" though that allows you to automatically attach all PlayerStarts in the same zone the JBInfoArena actor is in to that JBInfoArena actor, but that's only that: a shortcut for mappers, nothing else.

JDN: JBInfoArena describes it all in detail.