1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UTAN to be integrated into UT:XMP

Discussion in 'General UTXMP Discussion' started by Zur, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Pro^Kp

Pro^Kp [DCSB]Callisto/Talon|Se7eN

So what your saying is that FMI can log in to any server as admin and Globaly ban anyone they want?

either that or someone whows then a demo and FMI magically know there guid.

and also.

1 last thing. if someone does abuse this system for whatever reason and however reason, and someone does get wrongly banned only FMI can unban them and getting hold of one of the FMI guys is hard at the best of times.

2. Killinya

Killinya [BBF]Killinya

No, FMI will not log onto ur server anymore than Atari does. Only FMI can do this global ban, only they can "undo" it.

IF standard UTAN is also loaded, then those rules apply.
    See link for more "standard UTAN" info
    http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6205

Again, based on experience with Standard utan (BBF uses it), Abuse is not an issue at a global level. At a individual server level, how is it different than what we can do today with our u2xmp servers?

3. IndianPsycho

IndianPsycho Registered user

It's still up to server admins; if a demorec is made, which clearly shows that a player is cheating, the server admin will have to provide the GUID. If he refuses to do so, then that's that.

Only FMI can globally ban.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  4. Xaero

Xaero Who Dey!

"Big Brother" is going to ban you.

5. WolfmanK

WolfmanK Puppet Master of BBF

Lithium is clearly a cheater.... ;)

serioulsy dood.. I understand your concern but its not like that. BBF has been running UTAN on its ONS and ASSULT servers for months now... it works fine and no one logs into our server but us. It a means of tracking cheaters before they become an issue on your server. I belive you can use it as a preventative or not, but [BBF]Killinya knows more about that, than I do.

6. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

Epic have other things to do and, despite Dr. Sin being portrayed as keeping track of bans, I think his job description means he has other more important tasks.

7. [Lithium]

[Lithium] New Member

I only believe that the server admin should have the final say in wether or not a player is banned on their server. From what I understand the decision is FMI's first then the server admins which is wrong.

8. Xaero

Xaero Who Dey!

Ok...

a TKL clown joins your server with no admin around....he's vote kicked off. 5 minutes later he rejoins the server using the name of a more respected player and keeps up the same *******ry. still, no admins around, vote kicked...he decides to move on. He comes back at a later time still aliased as another player, this time the admin is around, bans him. The player that was aliased joins the server some time later, the admin gets pissed, bans him. (thinking he had to ban the same player twice). So now you have this player, and possibly his/her clan mad at you for banning without a reason. Based on your reaction here, I can't see you changing your position on the banning.

With the UTAN enable, FMI finds this TKL joker and simply bans his GUID from UT:XMP right out. No mess, no fuss.

Sounds far-fetched, right? No. Its happened, and happened multiple times.

FMI would be stupid to NOT include such a system in UT:XMP after seeing what just a handful of kids without enough adult supervision will/can do. Your saying its better to just ignore the past and not learn from what has already happened?

9. [Lithium]

[Lithium] New Member

I'm saying there should be the choice. Besides that wont happen any more because you can now ban based on GUID, simply ban the culpret and thats it game over for him. Having to ban people by IP in U2XMP was the problem.

10. Panthera

Panthera New Member

The difference here is that BBF has the option of enabling UTAN or not. UTXMP will not have the option to disable it.

11. Killinya

Killinya [BBF]Killinya

Atari can ban peaps too... it has nothing to do with UTAN... and u cant disable that either...

12. Freakish

Freakish Speed Addict

After reading all of this I'm still unclear on UTAN with UTXMP - can it or can it not be disabled? I don't want anybody banning people from my servers but my own admins; I don't mind Epic doing so because a)I trust Dr. Sin and b)they're official.

I think the UTAN integration is a great idea, but there has to be a way to turn it off. :)

13. Panthera

Panthera New Member

See IndanPsycho's post on the first page....

"With the "standalone" version of UTAN, server admins were able to turn this on/off, however in UTXMP this has been built in to core files and cannot be disabled."

14. Naib

Naib New Member

As long as it is only used as a last resort, and with very good proof, then it's a good idea. I don't think FMI would abuse it, as that would kill off the game

IMO the fact it can't be turned off makes it a lot better deterrent.

15. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

i just think that you guys who dissagree with it might be using some HAX? i don't cheat, never have, never will. so im all for it.

i hate spawning and getting sniped in the head, and when 4 of us spawn, and the same guy head shots us all in 1 second, that really pisses me off. i have nothing to worry about, when i get my UTXMP server up and running, i would rather FMI clean shiot up than me. i have better things to do. they made the game, they can keep it clean.

why would you want cheaters on your server anyway's? i asked Wes to close off MyU, cuz of noone was ever on it, and all the lamers usually on it, which MyU servers are great. so why waste a good server for cheaters? cheaters make people leave. i don't want that on my server. why do you people?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  16. MrAzazel

MrAzazel UnrealAdmĀ”n.org

Think of UTAN for UTXMP as 2 things:

1) The integrated version allows FreeMonkey to have a similar system to what Epic can do, which is globally ban someone from there game (UT XMP)

2) The core UTAN functionality is aimed at people running multiple servers.
    It allows you to ban a player on 1 server and that then gets passed on to all your other servers instantly.

If you run say 10 UT2004 servers and 3 UTXMP servers, by using the integrated UTAN you will only ban players on the 3 XMP servers.
    If you use the full version of UTAN, the ban will apply to both the UT2004 and UTXMP servers.

Hope that helps out :)

17. dutch_gecko

dutch_gecko Think Pink

:notworthy: :fluffle:
    May I also express my thanks to the UnrealAdmin team for doing such a good job. :fluffle:

18. Killinya

Killinya [BBF]Killinya

+1

19. Panthera

Panthera New Member

And if I disagree with all my civil liberties being taken away by my government it must be because I'm a terrorist?

20. Freakish

Freakish Speed Addict

That's what I thought - I was confused because of posts 39/40.

I'm not saying that I want cheaters on my server(s), just that I want MY admins to be the ones deciding who stays and who goes. I don't trust everyone else to ban as carefully as we do, and I have no idea how FMI is going to decide exactly what evidence they need to setup bans, etc - is it good enough to have a screenie of the player using derogatory language? Or do they have to be botting, as shown in..a demo of what length?

Dr. Sin already deals with this stuff and he's much closer to the underlying tech than FMI will ever be - I don't see the point in duplicating functionality he's already helping provide in an official capacity.

Can anyone give a good reason as to why there should NOT be a way to disable the UTAN global ban processing? At worst, turning it off may let in a few cheaters - players (assuming they even notice) will blame lazy server admins and not FMI. A simple global ban list toggle can't be hard to implement. It's admirable to want to be able to say that everyone is having the best possible cheat-free UTXMP gameplay, but has FMI thought through how they're going to deal with taking on the responsibility of regulating gameplay - setup some sort of process for accumulating proof and letting admins know who's been banned and why?

I don't mind UTAN being built in - it could be helpful with a local ban list being propogated between several servers adminned by any one person (great feature!), but I'm very wary of letting anyone outside of Epic judge who gets to play on my server(s).

I'm totally stoked for UTXMP - I loved U2XMP, but this forced UTANnage is making me want to just be a player and not an admin.

To clarify one thing - so we can still install the full (non-integrated) version of UTAN? Will that deactivate the embedded version (ie install and config the full version to not use the global list), or will the embedded version always work in some capacity?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004