UT99 strange online problems.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MangoStarr

Jun 30, 2009
Hey all!

So I've been having this problem when playing UT99 online.

Every once in a while a new map will start up and when I spawn I can't move at all, not my mouse, not anything, I can't shoot either.

Also the chatbox shows all messages in white and it doesn't show who typed the messages. I've heard of this happening to a few other people.

Anyone know how to fix this??

Any help is appreciated!

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
S3TC textures should not cause this problem. Is the movement fine in single player?
Delete your System\User.ini and try again.

billybill

Aug 5, 2008
to fix this bug you need to install the cd1 texture named XbpFX.utx. cd 2 (S3TC) texture with the same name is bugged and needs fixing

you can download the file here and put it in your textures folder over the top of your cd 2 (S3TC) one
http://utdirect.info/textures/cd1/XbpFX.utx

If you are positive that all the servers you play on are 'good' servers, with the cd 1 textures installed then you can go ahead and download all of the high def ones from http://www.uttexture.com/UT/Website/Downloads/Textures/Textures.htm. why stop there, get the extreme-end ones too http://www.uttexture.com/UT/Website/Downloads/Textures/ExtremeEnd/StockUT/UTExtremeEnd.htm

keep a backup of the folder with the cd2 (S3TC) textures with the cd1 XbpFX texture, this will be for 'bad' servers. email administrators of the bad servers and ask them politely to install the cd 1 textures so you can enjoy higher quality textures without the ice skaters and walking dead!

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Grrr....Servers without the textures installed are NOT "bad" servers. That's the way it was intended by Epic, and that is the standard installation offered by the gaming rental companies.

If you want to play stuff high-res on your end, fine. Don't try to tell admins how to run their servers so you can play your way.

billybill

Aug 5, 2008
i didn't come here to push any websites or unofficial files. I didn't want to see him delete his User.ini. and like i said, they are "bad" servers because the people with cd 2 installed have to rename files and constantly switch from backup folders because there are bad servers out there. your argument of not telling admins how to run servers will only get your mailbox filled please do try playing a few maps with the problem he's explaining and you will see that it is worse than bad and it is definitely not the way the game is meant to be played.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I know the problems he is experiencing rather intimately. I've dealt with them before and it cost me several nights in research to fully understand the why. Diehard has done some incredible work with texturing but he failed in execution. Until he can fix this, it should be a top priority in place of more texture work.

I'll be happy to accept emails from people, my addy is in my profile. So far of the admins I've had to explain this to they are about:
8 (or so) - "This is bull****, why do I have to upload more stuff to my server?"
to
2 (or so) - "Yeah, ok. Whatever."

It's divisive and unfair that players are trying to dictate to admins how to set up their server. It's like players telling me I have to install a voicepack or they just won't join.

BTW, did you ever pause to think that once this is in play, there is absolutely nothing stopping him from "fixing" other things and you can't stop it. This whole uber-texture thing has been a buggy mess and it's time someone said so.

billybill

Aug 5, 2008
i bought the game with cd 2. all of them are fine except for one texture. obviously i am a fan of my ultra texture folder, but i still provide instructions on how to fix the problem for default S3TC textures both client side and server side, the cd1 textures are more official and much smaller than the S3TC serverside texture-fix. therefore i will keep on encouraging people to email admins, i will keep on setting up servers my way, and helping others with their games

another thing though, if you are concerned about people using 'any texture they damn well please' on your servers. your argument is flawed because what is stopping them from doing to any new texture they desire, what was done with all the 'good' textures to make them server-texture compatable

i will add that most people have better systems than in 1999 and the majority of the old files have unofficial versions that do the job better

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
So far I have never experienced issue described by OP (over wide range of PC configurations) that was caused by CD2 S3TC textures. Can't comment about unofficial ones though. My recommendation was to try UT with default configuration (by removing old User.ini).

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Holy Mackeral! Really?! One bad texture pack is causing all this fuss?:eek: Just use the one from CD1 and move on. What's the big deal? I also thought there was an s3fix file that took care of the skating problem. I haven't had any problems with any of the unofficial ones from DieHard save the ones he says are bugged and I'm pretty sure it's only 1 or 2 at this point; for those I try CD2 and if that doesn't look right then CD1 textures and I move on. As far as the server admins, they can do whatever they want as long as they don't ban players for stupid reasons. I would say e-mailing them and asking once is no problem, but no spamming. I also have not had the problems of the OP and I'm not even sure it's related to the S3TC textures either.:looney:

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
The way to tell if it is a CD2 texture issue or the DieHard stuff is this:
On CD2 issues you get the "sliding players" problem. We've all seen the players sliding around, looking all Captain Morgan. It's funny (for about 3 seconds) but it's a very unique problem. The DieHard issue is much more restrictive. Players will spawn into a level containing the corrupt textures and be unable to move, fire, or do anything but chat.

I've spoken directly to DieHard about this. The guy is genuinely a very nice man and I like him. I just don't like that he has hit a snag with this and decided to pass over it without fixing. I and a couple other admins lost some good players because they joined and were unable to do anything on our servers. Pronouncing them "bugged" they moved on, and it cost me the several days I mentioned tearing apart my installation to find the problem. There was a long thread at UA about this, with a lot of back-and-forth from me and him, but in the end I could reproduce this error at will (as could others) and that is why I campaign against the texture pack.

Nothing a player installs should compel an admin to make unwanted changes to their server or risk losing that player because he cannot play. The fix isn't that hard and he needs to get it done.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Correct. Offline it is fine but online having the altered textures installed locally creates conflict between you and the server resulting in the problems we are discussing.

MangoStarr

Jun 30, 2009
Honestly, I don't really care about having my game look better or whatever, I'm happy with it the way it is... I just want this fixed so I can actually play every map!!

Because it seems that this bug happens with most good maps :(

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Here's how to fix it:
Get your CD 1 (not cd2!) and copy the texture folder over into your installation. You don't need to reinstall you just need to overwrite the corrupt textures with the default, normal ones. If you don't have a disk, let me know and I'll help you out with the textures.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Pass it on bro, that's all I ask. If you see someone else stuck on a server, mention this. Save your admin from losing a player.