1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT99 - How to fix crashing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Adorkable, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Adorkable

Adorkable New Member

Whenever I try to open Unreal Tournament (GOTY), it crashes when I am starting it up. I think it's a Direct3D issue.

Direct3D issues

Some video cards ship with drivers which do not support Unreal Tournament properly. If you experience any of the following problems, your Direct3D driver may need updating:

* Crashes when starting up.
    * Crashes when changing video resolutions.
    * Corrupted textures: garbage pixels appearing on surfaces; unexpected bright flashy colors on the screen; incorrect textures on surfaces.
    * Unusually slower performance.

-Unreal Release Notes

Is there any way I can fix this? The only way I know I can play, is if I reinstall it, and I've done it already 4 times. I just got this game 2 days ago, and I'm thinking of setting up my Windows XP computer just to play it. I also have Windows 7. I know I can play it, because I have already. So..what's the problem? :hmm: :(

2. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Hi Adorkable. It is recommanded that you use updated OpenGL or Direct3D9 renderer instead of stock Direct3D that ships with UT. Please refer to UT forum sticky or look at my signature for more updated article.

3. Adorkable

Adorkable New Member

I tried it and it worked...for a couple days. I have a new problem now. :gonk:

No troubles when opening..but when I get right to playing the game, I either the game speed is really fast (and mouse lag?), or the game speed is slow (but no lag). Should I just put this game on my Windows XP computer? Because this game is kinda making me mad now.. :mad:

4. IronMonkey

IronMonkey Moi?

5. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Limit your framerate as described in guide. In your computer BIOS disable Intel EIST and SpeedStep if you have Intel processor and AMD Cool n Quiet if you got AMD platform.
    Enable Direct imput, disable mouse smoothing and VSync to get rid of mouse lag.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  6. UnrealGold57

UnrealGold57 New Member

do u have a dual-core processor? if so, download this fix (it also works for quad-core!):

http://www.ut99.org/download/file.php?id=110

just click on the .zip, then extract the UnrealTournament.exe to C:\UnrealTournament\System

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011