1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT99 Enhancement Patch, Need A Modder, $ May Be Involved

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by Max]I[muS-X, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Max]I[muS-X

Max]I[muS-X New Member

im working on designing an overall enhancement patch for ut, that will basically give it a new paint job, but keep the gameplay the same. i have a .txt of possible changes i would want done, but more could be added, as i need somebody to COLLABORATE with. money is tight, but if nobody wants to help me out of their own generousity or love of modding, i have $100 im willing to spend. contact me at a115331n6343@hotmail.com, or on IRC at irc.enterthegame.com, #51, nick is {51}Max]I[muS-X, thank you

2. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

Have you checked out 007Mike's EyeCandy project ? It might be a good start.

3. Max]I[muS-X

Max]I[muS-X New Member

ill get to that, but theres other things besides graphics i wanted to bundle together. new features, menus, etc...

4. OO7MIKE

OO7MIKE Mr. Sexy

I have already attepted a complete texture overhaul. Epic wont let me have the UT1 textures....and they wont tell me how to get S3TC textures into .utx packages.

I exausted my resources....so I just came up with 5% of the origonally planned graphic overhaul. It looks stunning...but if I ever find out How to get S3TC textures into UT1 Ill be all over finishing off the project.

A menu overhaul wouldn't be that hard if you got some Uscript coders. Changing the graphics in the menu system isn't that hard either. I have messed with this before and had some pretty good results.

I wouldnt recomend adding more polys to UT1 meshes because it really has problems handling them.

UT is really all about texture quality. This makes up for the lack of geometry.

If I where to improve UT, it would simply be to redo the textures of all UT maps and skins, as well as weapon skins.
    With Project Eye Candy I had hoped to turn all 256x256 textures into 1024x1024 with the exception of a few 2048x2048. The smaller textures like 128x128 would end up 512x512. It really depends on how much needed to be redone.
    I can't do any of this with out the information on how to get those textures compressed. Otherwise everyone will need a gfx card with 512mb of ram.

5. Max]I[muS-X

Max]I[muS-X New Member

alrite, i was told the above wasnt specific enough, so here are a few IDEAS i have written down (not mandatory).

This is a growing list of IDEAL things i would want to add to an all encompassing mutator that would change the game (in no particular order). (X)'s are placed where a mod is already out that covers this. (/)'s are placed when a mod is partially completed covering this. (.)'s are placed when there is none.

1.) Team Colored Fire (shock, pulse, etc) (X)
    2.) Real Ducking (/) (a mod is out that does this, but it puts u a little underground)
    3.) Latest TTM Mod (hit sounds, active warm up, various other options) (X)
    4.) Tickrate Independent Weapons (/) (a mod is out that does this, but only for mini/pulse)
    5.) "New Wave" Map Pack (.) (maps yet to be decided on/created)
    6.) Decal Stay (/) (various sprites such as bullet shells etc remain in the mod available)
    7.) New and Advanced Audio (.)
    8.) Additional Achievements To Gain (.) (beyond monsterkill, godlike, etc)
    9.) New and Advanced Textures/Graphics (.) (for splash damage sprites etc)
    10.) New Skins (.) (humanoid; not yet decided on/created)
    11.) Detailed F1 Information (X) (accuracy, efficiency, pl, netspeed, etc)
    12.) Latest Cheat Protection (/) (the big anti-cheat mod soon to come)
    13.) Clock Outside F1 (X) (part of TTM)
    14.) Laser-Guided Ripper (.) (shows projected path of primary ripper, green when on target)
    15.) Anti-Timing (.) (still no protection for this clientside cheat that i know of)
    16.) Advanced CTF Scoring (X)
    17.) New Gameplay Mods (/) (not decided; may not be included)
    18.) Advanced Blood Sprites (/) (fine blood flows out of target when hurt)
    19.) Undetectable Feign Death (.) (no info given when target is looked upon, able to step on target, inflicts pain?)
    20.) Flag Drop Button (.) (not neccessary, but would be useful. no feign death required)
    21.) Translocam (X) (built-in cam for translocator; use varies, doesnt hurt gameplay imo)
    22.) New Weapon Models (/)
    23.) Advanced Skin Animation (skin changes as health goes down, aka bloodier, tattered clothing, etc..)
    24.) Score Creation (.) (not kill count; based upon difficulty of kills, i.e weapon used, enemy status, movement of crosshair, player, and enemy target during execution, sequential kills, killing sprees, etc)
    25.) Who Pushed Me Mod (X) (pushing someone to their death counts as ur kill)
    26.) Invisible Spawn (X) (5 seconds invis default)
    27.) 32 Bots/Players+ Allowed Maximum (/) (32 bots supposedly done; 32 or MORE)
    28.) Powerups Alternator Mod (X) (get to choose which powerups remain on the map, and which dont, aka sb/vials only, etc)
    29.) Ripper Headshot Fix (.) (target area from neck up, as opposed to from the forehead up)
    30.) Adjustable Team Color (.)
    31.) RealSkin Fix (X)
    32.) No Lockdown (X)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2003
  6. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

Some things I don't understand or I don't think will be worth it:

Team Colored ShieldBelt
    The shieldbelt effect is always team-colored.

Latest Cheat Protection
    Have fun updating this one as cheaters will break it much faster than you can fix it again.

Fair CTF Scoring
    What does "fair" mean here? IMHO the scoring is ok already.

Who Pushed Me Mod & Long Distance Targetting
    There's a reason (apart from not knowing the mods) those two aren't installed on every server: When targets are further away they are supposed to be harder to detect. With instant hit weapons you can just press the fire button when the name pops up. Pushing is not everyone's favorite because you didn't kill the player yourself, yet you gain points for it.

Primary Rockets "Fix"
    I don't see how "reducing" something can be called "fixing" it.

(BTW: I think crossposting it in at least three different parts of this forum slows down discussion.)

7. Swift Viper

Swift Viper Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)

Laser Guided Ripper: The Razorjack (old ripper in Unreal) alt fire already is guided (not by laser, but where you point at) and was replaced in UT because it would be too slow in a fast paced game like this.

Lowing the number of rockets you can shoot as Wormbo said is not fixing it and would make it too much like UT2k3's rocket launcher. 6 rockets is a bit powerful, but most people like it like that and should stay, it will save you a lot of hate mail/comments to lave it at six.

8. Max]I[muS-X

Max]I[muS-X New Member

thx for the info, like i said, nothing is set in stone.

1.) i know i dled a fix that made shieldbelt team colored (couldve been for an older unreal) but if it was already team colored i must not have noticed, im used to seeing it yellow =).

2.) cheat protection i wasnt including on being a part of the bundle unless the huge one was already out that theyre making, i forget the name of it, but it was supposed to be the 'new' be all-end all of cheat protections.

3.) fair ctf scoring was noted kinda bad, because this list was originally more of a reminder to myself than descriptive for somebody else. its basically an extension of the ctf scoring system (thats already out), that lets u assign points for killing flag carrier, capturing a flag, defending the flag carrier, and returning the flag (which is more important than a 0 score encourages imo). as far as capturing a flag, it also scores u on how far u carried it (aka if player1 carries it 95% of the way, dies, and player2 picks it up and captures it, player1 gets 95% of the points, altho i believe whoever directly captures it gets some bonus points, not sure)

4.) i see ur point on the long distance targetting, i hadnt thought of that. however, ive found the who pushed me mod to be fairly accurate (most ppl would blame a fall on somebody else anyway) and people generally dont like suiciding anyway (it only counts as a kill if they suicided becuz of him)

5.) i wanted rox # to be lowered cuz i hear a lot of ppl complain about spam, but didnt want to change the speed, parting distance, etc that was done in 2k3. if that proves not to be well liked i can forgo that. but, most ppl that i see play in matches etc usually use 3 when they spam anyway, 6 is always a bit much. either way, like i said, not set in stone.

6.) as far as the laser guided ripper, i was thinking more of a laser that bounces off of walls (showing primary rippers trajectory), but is only viewable clientside (for each player), going green when on a target. since the ripper is not hitscan, it still would be tough to get a kill, but could be used more efficiently then it is now (ppl hardly ever use it, i wanted to put its primary to good use). as far as being to slow, i never wanted to change the speed of the projectiles or rate of fire.

and sorry for crossposting, the general idea i had in mind was to find somebody that was interested, and meet with them in an email or irc and discuss wut we had, wut to change, possible additions, etc... i wanted to branch out to the largest audience i could (all ut related forums), since i didnt know if ppl largely viewed only one forum section or wut. sorry for slowing the forum discussion down.

9. GunblazeGriffin

GunblazeGriffin New Member

I R Jesiah! Do Eet!!!!!!!!!11

10. Swift Viper

And that had to do with what?

1: The shield belt fix must have been for a older Unreal, because in UT shield belts are always team colored, but in non-team games are golden.

2: Nothing to say here.

3: A slightly scoring system would be nice, but not really all that important as the only score that will count is the team captures.

4: Nothing to say here either.

5: This will request some deep discussion, just remember six rockets is one of the tracemarks of UT's Rocket Launcher and what sets it apart from other ones. Maybe the power could be lowed and spam lowed by making the rockets fire closer together (the spread, not the circle). Again this will need a deep discussion.

6: Not sure about the laser guided part, but I guess the Ripper could be improved by making alt fire have a more powerful push effect and giving the blade a lower lifespan and set no bounce limit. Infact, maybe each bounce would make the damage higher or something, there has to be a way to improve the weapon.

11. Max]I[muS-X

Max]I[muS-X New Member

thx for the input Swift Viper. i need other ideas and opinions.

btw, do u happen to be a coder?

12. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

That might be bad move. You can adjust the rocket launcher but not change it significantly. As I understand it, UT's rocket launcher has been tweaked a couple of times since UT first came out. I trust the experience of developers in this. Yes, it's often used as a spam weapon on small maps but it's a very weak weapon against shock, mini or pulse in an open map (the ability it takes to hit someone in mid air with some rockets goes beyond that required to do a decent moving combo). Whatever changes you would want to make, I think it's best to leave them as an option.

UT is obviously the weak point here. Is it possible to call up a function in an outside dll or something ? If so, would it be possible to make some outside software that offers much heftier encryption and authentication ?

13. Swift Viper

I'm not a coder yet :( , but I want to learn. Won't be anytime soon.

Fearless: How exactly has the rocket launcher been changed from 400v to 436v (list both changes)?

As for ideas, do you think you will be changing any of the other weapons or balancing the ones people complain about the most like Flak Cannon spam and Sniper Rifle rate of fire?

What about improving the alt fire of the Impact Hammer? I don't really think anyone uses it and even if you do block a proj, another one might hit you anyway and I think the damage on it is low. What about the chainsaw that almost no one uses, any ways of changing that?

14. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

I wouldn't know exactly but I do have UT 4.00 somewhere :p (the word both implies that you know the answer). I've only been playing this game for 10 months or so but a player told me that the RL had been tweaked a little since the original release and it used to create more damage. I imagine other aspects have been tweaked too.

15. Max]I[muS-X

Max]I[muS-X New Member

"As for ideas, do you think you will be changing any of the other weapons or balancing the ones people complain about the most like Flak Cannon spam and Sniper Rifle rate of fire?"

i hadnt yet thought of any ideas for the flak cannon without changing it too much, and imo the sniper rifle's rate of fire contributes to the fast paced nature of the game. also, i gave it some thought and i think the rocket launcher count should stay the same :) . but i need a modder to get ANY of this started! help! :(

16. Swift Viper

If you try posting this on the INA fourms, you might get more people to help you there.

17. Max]I[muS-X

Max]I[muS-X New Member

i just tried, but i cant seem to register there. in the registration it says it does not accept free email addresses (hotmail, yahoo, etc) and i dont have any other kind =/.

18. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

Try a freemail website that isn't so popular. I'm certain that gmx.net would wok but they've completely switched to german (useless for me since I can't speak german).

19. Jedediah Knight

Jedediah Knight Flag Runner of the Year

I tend to agree but I do think that one "fix" that the RL needs is the autofire. When you get 6 loaded it will NOT fire untill you release the fire button. It may even slow down spam.