UT4 Friday Fragfest 10/16/2015

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
So who is around today and will be available for some UT4 CTF action?

@Dagger, I'm curious have you started to get into the weeds on coding anything EO-related for UT4? Definitely don't want to get too far ahead of the UT4 programmers, but I would think the basic framework could be started.

A simple pure port of UT99 EO would be a place to start, but I expect there might be interest on the player and developer side of a more experimental fork. The successful experiments could then find their way into the main Excessive Overkill. I've got an idea for an experimental EO fork that I might type up and put in another thread.

It'd also be good to get a EO to test to make sure mappers don't totally neglect us high flyers with blocking volumes etc.

WHAT:
A scheduled UT4 CTF bloodbath open to anyone. Teams will be kept balanced and the event will run until the last man standing. Use this thread to suggest future dates/times and discuss the matches.

WHEN:
Friday 10/15 @ 9pm EST / 6pm PST

WHERE:
Epic Games USA [Central] Hub 01
*Join an active public CTF game and someone can host and invite others to a new game if the server gets full*

Google Calendar
(For Reminders)
https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=excessive.overkill@gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

WHO:
Forum Name / Epic Name
@MÆST / MÆST
@Rip / Remdale
@oskeno / osk
@Dagger / Dagger
@Rahuah / 3dw4rd
@ShatteredX / ShatteredX
@xts-sparky / ???
@BigGeorge22 / ???
@thechaos' / ???
@deafsparky / ???
@soulstrife / ???
@soggynacho / ???
@randy / ???
@theturds / ???
@tormentor / ???

And you!

WHY:
something fun!

Rip

Nov 12, 2014
Well, I don't think there can be such a thing as a 'port', since they are no longer using their UnrealScript but rather actual C++. Dagger works with C++ for a living, and I might like to learn it, or enough to do what I want, but the problem both of us faced before was that their modding methodology was just incredibly obtuse/buggy/time consuming. And instructions would change with new releases so accurate guides.... yeah. I couldn't even get the "demo weapon" code to actually make and I spent a lot of time on it. I think I could get maps to make but code noooo and yeah had source/etc installed. If it's gotten any better maybe I'll try again sometime. Surely it's going to get better..... *grumble* Dagger could prolly whip something up quick and easy if they didn't make "packaging" such a damn mess.

Anyhow I'm not playing UT4 and don't have it installed, sorry. :p Maybe some other time.

Last edited:

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
Well, I don't think there can be such a thing as a 'port', since they are no longer using their UnrealScript but rather actual C++. Dagger works with C++ for a living, and I might like to learn it, or enough to do what I want, but the problem both of us faced before was that their modding methodology was just incredibly obtuse/buggy/time consuming. And instructions would change with new releases so accurate guides.... yeah. I couldn't even get the "demo weapon" code to actually make and I spent a lot of time on it. I think I could get maps to make but code noooo and yeah had source/etc installed. If it's gotten any better maybe I'll try again sometime. Surely it's going to get better..... *grumble* Dagger could prolly whip something up quick and easy if they didn't make "packaging" such a damn mess.

Anyhow I'm not playing UT4 and don't have it installed, sorry. :p Maybe some other time.

By port I didn't mean to imply copying and pasting the code. Just replicating the core gameplay mechanics and variables for UT99 EO into UT4. Then we'd just be tweaking variables and adding effects.

I'll freely admit that C++ is outside of my paygrade, but I'd have to imagine, since Epic is giving away the game for free, and plan on making money from user content in the marketplace, they would make it as easy as possible to make, package and distribute content. But I haven't looked into it.

Here's the writeup to the alternate fork I promised:
https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads/ut4-akeo-framework.203989/