1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3

Discussion in 'Dev Team' started by ProAsm, Feb 2, 2008.

1. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Welcome back ;)

2. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Ok I have installed the latest Beta patch 2 and still the SAME friggin problems are still there.
    Is it possible for someone here who belongs to the mailing list to point this out to them and please ask them to fix it asap.
    I will also see if I can email someone at epic about it.

When a modder tests a mutator or map you first do it via local Instant Action.
    Now you don't need a Internet connection to play local Instant Action, so in other words you are playing off line.
    You start your game from a desktop shortcut because when coding testing must happen as quick as possible.
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" DM-Deck?Game=UTGame.UTDeathmatch?GoalScore=10?NumPlay=4

1. Your nickname is never remembered even if you set it in game by either the menu or a console command.
    2. The MouseInvert is also never remembered and you have to go and set it every time you start an offline Instant Action game.
    3. Keybinds too are never remembered and always set back to default whether you first edit the ini file or you set a bind in the console "setbind backspace exit" for example.

No doubt there would be other things relating to "offline" Instant Action also if scrutinised.
    There is no point in an answer in saying use the new -login=xxx -password=xxx when there is no internet connection.
    Internet connections cost a lot of money and are capped in some parts of the world and all unnecessary bytes transceived count towards our monthly cap.

3. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

"C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" DM-Deck?Game=UTGame.UTDeathmatch?GoalScore=10?NumPlay=4 -login=MyLogin -password=MyPassword

4. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

As I said in my post:
    There is NO internet connection thus making this command null and void.
    Switch your modem/router or whatever you have off, and try again :)

5. [PHX]Big_Deal

[PHX]Big_Deal Member

No it works Ben ;)
    Open your Game.ini and change it like you will see here:

[UTGame.UTUIFrontEnd_LoginScreen]
    bSavePassword=True
    bAutoLogin=False
    PlayerNames=your playername

I testet it with my registered Name, so i think it will be the best you create online a profile with name and pw and use it with the settings above.
    After you start the game you should see in the right corner "play offline"

6. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

You are missing my point completely.

Think about this....
    I program for 6 hours.
    In that 6 hours I compile approx every 10 minutes, often more.
    That means I test the game 6 times in an hour - 36 times in 6 hours.
    That means for 36 times I have to do the following:
    1. Start the game in the beginning - after waiting for a long time (I do have all movies disabled etc)
    2. Select Play Offline
    3. Select Instant Action
    4. Select a Game
    5. Select a Map
    6. Select the correct Mutator in a list of 100 or more if you can find it.
    7. Select number of Bots as it NEVER remembers the last time.
    8. Select the Bot Skill (Difficulty) as it NEVER remembers the last time.
    9. Select the Goal Score as it NEVER remembers the last time.
    10. Select the Time Limit as it NEVER remembers the last time.
    11. Finally you can start the game.

Now the above works BUT now emagine going through that exercise 36 - 50 times every day as it wont be possible - not enough time.
    I guarentee you will very soon throw the game in the trash can.

So like in UT1, UT99, UT2k3 and UT2k4, coders always use desktop shortcuts that take you straight into you game.
    Takes about 10 seconds to get to the "Precaching" and another 10 seconds and you're playing.
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" DM-Deck?Game=UTGame.UTDeathmatch?Mutator=ServerBots3.ServerBots?GoalScore=10?TimeLimit=10?NumPlay=4?Difficulty=5 -useunpublished

Now everything here works 100% except:
    1. Your nickname is ALWAYS Player
    2. Your MouseInvert is off which in my case should be on.
    3. It never remembers any keybinds you set (infact even the online method never remembers my exit - "SetBind BackSpace Exit")

So if all works then within a minute or so you know if what you coded works and you just hit the backspace key, BUT in this case it NEVER remembers its bind so you have to bring down the console and type "exit" and you continue coding.
    If Epic could add a -playoffline command then that would be cool also. :)

7. Sir_Brizz

You just need to add those command line options from my post. Your batch file (if that's what you are using) needs to run:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" DM-Deck?Game=UTGame.UTDeathmatch?Mutator=ServerBots3.ServerBots?GoalScore=10?TimeLimit=10?NumPlay=4?Difficulty=5 -useunpublished -login=YourUT3Login -password=YourUT3Password
    If you have one of the patch 1 betas, that will use your profile while you are testing.

I realize that this is a stupid thing to need to do, I fully agree with that. But it does work if you do it this way.

8. [PHX]Big_Deal

[PHX]Big_Deal Member

Yes you have right, i understand you. I will post it to the admin list.

9. [PHX]Big_Deal

[PHX]Big_Deal Member

But this will only work when you are online.

10. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

If you are offline (no internet connection) it takes you to the beginning login page after what seems a lifetime.
    Patch1.1 used to say something like: "Cannot login - please try again" or something.
    I am using [Version 1.2 Beta 3]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  11. [PHX]Big_Deal

[PHX]Big_Deal Member

Ben you are using beta4, it only shows beta3 ;)

12. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

ahhh ok, did not know that.
    Hell if Epic cannot get such a simple thing right, emagine the cockup they making to the game, but hang on... the game is already a cockup... oh well... lets wait and see what they do... now where was I last in my Solitaire game :)

13. [PHX]Big_Deal

[PHX]Big_Deal Member

I have send your request to the admin mail list! Forgett Soitaire you must code UT3Vote, Zound3 and Serverbots3 ;)

14. Sir_Brizz

Hah... I gotcha now.

15. CVROY

CVROY New Member

I have not started up my UT3 in approx four months. I think the next patch will be super small step toward what we should have had since day one. It would have been a lot better if they made the game for the PC like a PC game. Instead we got some piece of crap console port for the PC. If you notice, just about everything that has been stripped from the game (compared to UT99 and UT2004) are things you cannot use in a console version. Unfortunately these things taken out are what made the games popular. It seems that their main focus is in fact consoles right now... which is fine, but at least finish your damn PC game... losers.

I'd love for them to fix this game up, but looks hopeless.

16. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

So I see the new Patch2 is out.....
    Have they fixed my requirements or is this where I part company with the unreal engine ?

17. [PHX]Big_Deal

[PHX]Big_Deal Member

I donĀ“t think so, because nothing changed since beta4.

18. CVROY

CVROY New Member

I've been watching the official forums to see if there are any comments about it, but so far nothing really notable as of yet either way.

19. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

I'm absolutely amazed at modders that enter the game only by the login screen and not using a shortcut like I do, in fact its quite shattering.
    No wonder other modders take a long time to complete a tiny mod.
    Anyways I made myself a small mut that sets up my Nick, Inverts my mouse and sets my Backspace key as "Exit" and it seems to work quite well so now I can have shortcuts to all testing etc.
    Hell but this game is slow in compiling.
    Anyway I will continue modding but only when I have time on my hands.
    I have also decided to get a new PC as this one is now 4 years old although still rocks big time.
    I'm not getting anything too fancy just something that wont break the bank:

Case with 620 watt A-Open PSU
    BX80557E6850 - Core 2 Duo - 3 gig
    DP35DPM - Intel Mobo
    ST3320620AS - 320 gig HD
    2 gig Memory
    nVidia 8800GT512
    Acer Esquire Keyboard

Thats should do it, if not, tough luck :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  20. [PHX]Big_Deal

[PHX]Big_Deal Member

The best news today ;)