1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3

Discussion in 'Dev Team' started by ProAsm, Feb 2, 2008.

1. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Well today I bought the game.... 60 friggin dollars (US)... it better be worth it else I will commit huri kiri :rolleyes:
    I still dont have a PC that can run it as it plays 10 times worse than the demo, even on 640x480 it sucks very bad.
    I think people had forgotten what a horrible experience it is to install it and set it up as it never remembers anything and who ever at Epic made the decision to install everything in the 'Program Files folder' and 'Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\' needs to be shot as thats gonna confuse a lot of people like it did in the demo. :(
    Anyway I'm busy downloading the patch atm so hopefully that improves things a bit.

What system to I need to get ?
    2 core
    core 2
    dual core
    quad core
    Hell there are so many variants its confusing.
    I've ordered a nVidia 8800GT 512 which should be ok.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  2. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

your graphicscard is ok. any actual dual-core will be ok too. yust get enough ram (2gig) and a strong power-supply.

i'm still not shure, if i'll stay with the ut-community... ut3 is much to real for my taste and i still can't find much time to play it...

3. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

This is what I have in mind:
    Code:
    Case with A_Open 620 watt Power Supply.
    E6750 Intel Core 2 Duo LGA775 2.66GHz 1333Mhz FSB 4MCache, VPro, VT, EIST, EM64T, XD

If I can get a better price I'll maybe go for this CPU:
    Q6600 Intel Core 2 Quad LGA775 2.40GHz Quad Core, 1066Mhz FSB 8MB Cache, VT, EIST, EM64T, XD

Motherboard:
    Intel Media Series 'Tower Lake' G33, LGA775, FSB1333, 4xDual DDR2 800, 1xPCI-x16, GMA X3100(VGA+DVI-D), 1xPCI, 2xPCI-x1, 5xSATA(Raid 0,10,5,10), 1xeSATA, 1xATA100, Gbe Lan, 8ch_Sound, Max 10xUSB, IEEE1394, Micro ATX (Viiv)

Seagate Barracuda 320Gb 7200rpm Serial ATA + NCQ Hardrive with 16MB cache
    2 X Kingmax DDR-2 - 1GB Desktop Memory Module (800Mhz, PC-6400, 240-Pin)
    LG GSA4166B Black LightScribe DVD Writer - 16x 
    GeForce 8800GT 512MB DDR2 : PCI-Express 16X
    WinXp Pro

The rest I got.

Some questions regarding this game.
    1. No matter how I set the key inputs, in never remembers anything as everytime I start UT3, I have to go and invert my mouse again and set the keybinds as I use the mouse scroll buttons for certain weapons.
    I tried setting the UTInput.ini file but it always goes back to default.
    2. What is the shortcut string to use on the desktop to go straight into a map in Instant action.
    I get it to more or less work but it always goes to the beginning through all the 'adverts' then goes to a 'Precaching' screen, then starts the map and sits there waiting for other players - hell this sucks man.
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" DM-Deck?Game=UTGame.UTDeathmatch?Mutator=ServerBots3.ServerBots

Btw, I am running the last Patch1.1

Hell I am sooooo frustrated with this game, soooooo many folders and stuff to make just to get a mutator going, its a friggin nightmare.
    Maybe it will get better later... I hope so as it is atm, it just ain't worth playing or modding for.
    The code is sooooooo different to any previous UT and very complicated to say the least.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  4. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

if you want to have the full power of your system and ut3, you'll need vista, because of DX10.

Personally i'd prefer a bigger HD, as i'm always running out of space ;)

regarding your settings, are you shure, you modified the right files? i had the same symphtoms, and i modified the default-files by mistake.

haha, serverbots3 ^^. I have no idea about directly starting a map...

puh, and i hoped, you could help me a bit with the coding-changes :D

5. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Yeah I'm sure about my settings and the files which are in the folder:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\ProAsm\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config

The screen size and some things save ok, its mainly the binds that dont save:
    These keys refuse to bind properly:

[Engine.PlayerInput]
    bInvertMouse=True

[UTGame.UTPlayerInput]
    Bindings=(Name="MiddleMouseButton",Command="GBA_SwitchToBestWeapon",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
    Bindings=(Name="MouseScrollDown",Command="GBA_SwitchWeapon6",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
    Bindings=(Name="MouseScrollUp",Command="GBA_SwitchWeapon7",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
    Bindings=(Name="LeftControl",Command="GBA_ToggleTranslocator",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

[Engine.Console]
    ConsoleKey=Tilde

Whether I set them in the UTInput.ini or I set them in the game menu, it holds for this game, then I exit and start again, and everything goes back to default.
    EPIC this is a F*CKUP!!!!!

This is how to start a map or game from a shortcut which I use as when coding you do not have time to go through all the menus everytime.
    On your desktop, copy the shortcut 'Unreal Tournament 3' then change the Target Properties to read:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" DM-Deck?Game=UTGame.UTDeathmatch

To kill all the startup movies edit the following in the UTEngine.ini by adding a ';'
    [FullScreenMovie]
    ;StartupMovies=Copyright_PC
    ;StartupMovies=EpicLogo
    ;StartupMovies=MidwayLogo
    ;StartupMovies=UE3_logo
    ;StartupMovies=Nvidia_PC
    ;StartupMovies=Intel_Duo_Logo
    ;StartupMovies=UT_loadmovie1

I'm beginning to hate this game with a passion :(

6. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

7. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

mmm ok I see if you 'Login' then it always remembers your keybinds and settings but that is not the way to play instant action.
    Here you start with the shortcut I gave as you are now playing offline and dont need to login.
    Here it also does not remember your Nickname, or any part of the last game setup... eish, Epic have a long way to go before this game is even a tiny patch on UT2k4.

8. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

The next patch will allow you to login from the command line, which is the big problem there.

9. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Sounds great.
    I hope they fix the 100 and 1 other problems also.
    When developing you need to test things as fast as possible as all I use is shortcuts or batch files.
    Have they mentioned a public release yet or can you mail me a link to the beta as I stopped the ut3servers mailing list as there was just too much yapping about nothing and filling up my mailbox :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  10. Sir_Brizz

No news yet, unfortunately.

11. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Found a Change log...
    o Added support for commandline log in -login=xxx -password=xxx
    As you mentioned.... great stuff.
    o Dedicated servers don't require DirectX shader model 2.0
    HOO-BLOODY-RAY
    I asked for this first time around as why should a server require Shader Model comapability graphics when all it runs is a Dos-Box... thank heavens they finally listened.
    o Added MaxClientTravelTime config option to GameInfo.
    mmm... I can see big problems coming here.

Otherwise a nice patch - all I need now is the release.
    Let me go find a beta :)

12. CVROY

CVROY New Member

client-wise the patch is good, server-wise it's still bad. Still not anywhere close to what we need to have a good running server.

I've been running a quake wars server in the mean-time and if EPIC gets their crap together I may switch back... although the team play on QW is going to be hard to beat as far as UT3 is concerned.

13. Sir_Brizz

It's only a beta. When it's finalized the patch does have tons of great fixes for server admins.

14. CVROY

CVROY New Member

There was no difference between the last beta and official release. They put it out as official even after people pointed the bugs out... this time around I have seen admin emails of some action fixing a few things before going official. I can't believe this game had things like web admin and GUID bans missing from day one, four months to re-implement that is preposterous.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  15. Sir_Brizz

the last patch had four betas before it went official. This is the first beta of the second patch.

16. CVROY

CVROY New Member

I don't have admin emails that far back, but even so, I do have ones from just before the official release where admins discovered bugs and epic said they were going to release it anyway. The bugs were more server than client related, it would seem logical to get the server stuff nailed first because even if you make the client all nice-nice there are no servers to play on that are stable. Just seems like they are working back wards to me.

17. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Well I'm still new at this game but I must admit, Epic lost it somewhere along the line.
    Although there is some improvement in the code in some small area's, there is total destruction in many other area's.
    It is hard to believe that they have come so far from U1 to UT2k4 where they had almost mastered the code except for a few hairy places which just needed sorting out for UT3, but if you look at most the code, you would say that this is the first edition of the Unreal Engined game as almost everything has changed.
    I realize that they are trying to close the 'cheating' loops but they could have consulted with some of us, especially those of us that have so loyally supported UT since the beginning.
    I have spent the last few days modifying our mod ServerBots for UT3 and it has been a total uphill nightmare and not a nice experience at all.
    Testing has been also slow as the compiling is very slow in comparison to the UT2k4 code and the Instant Action games not remembering the keybinds is very annoying to say the least.
    Anyway we are making some sort of headway but I sometimes cannot help but loose interest and rather go watch TV or something.

In the meantime I need someone here to take a screenshot for me.
    During an online DeathMatch or TeamGame with say, 3 or more players and at least one Bot in the game, press F1 to get the scoreboard up, then F9 to take a screenshot of it.
    You'll find the screenshot in:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\ScreenShots\ScreenShot00000.bmp

That would be much appreciated as for some reason I cannot join a server.
    I get all the servers listed in my browser and when I join one, I get that red logon screen and after a while its says 'Play' but the logon screen does not go away and I have to Alt+Ctrl+Del to get out of it :(

Some progress Screenshots - check the messages ;)

http://www.proasm.com/ut/sb3shots1.html

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  18. CVROY

CVROY New Member

they are testing a new beta server patch that should fix that connection issue you speak of. It's the 1.2 beta 2.

I will say though I am not impressed. People are having a hell of a time with the haaaxxxed web admin they are trying to through in there.

I've been happy with the quake wars, but I do miss my UT... what a world, what a world!

19. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

20. [PHX]Big_Deal

[PHX]Big_Deal Member

Hi
    Nice to see you all here back ;) . I looked a lot of times here and didnĀ“t see any news, but now i saw that i was not logged in and my old username didnt exist. I am happy that you start again with coding for UT3 and if you need the v1.2beta2 patch for do that, give me a sign and i give you a link for the patch on my hp.
    I hope i can test your next betas soon ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008