1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 to Incorporate Facebook API

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by W0RF, Apr 1, 2009.

1. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

[​IMG]

In another stunning revelation, Epic Games have announced that the next patch of Unreal Tournament 3 will also incorporate the Facebook API. Among other features, this will allow players to use Facebook Connect to bypass the login screen when loading UT3. Additionally, to accommodate this new feature, UT3 will revert to the old menu system.

"This is another feather in our cap when it comes to bleeding-edge social networking in video games," explained the Director Of Online Functionality, United States. "Not only will users be able to log on to UT3 using Facebook Connect, but whenever they enter an online match, their Facebook status will be automatically updated to show that they are playing online, with a link to the game server included. On the Facebook side of things, players can click on that link to load UT3 and drop them onto that server automatically."

Another feature revealed in the announcement is the ability to have the player's Facebook avatar appear as a 30x30 px image next to their in-game messages. Conversely, they can have a snap of their online character saved as an image and stored to Facebook as their profile picture. It is not yet known if players will be able to Poke each other in-game, or whether their crush's IQ will appear next to their in-game scoreboard.

2. Nevzat

Nevzat Member

LoL nice try :lol:

3. DannyMeister

DannyMeister UT3 Jailbreak Coder

Lol, apparently this new functionality is based on UT3 1.3 instead of 2.0. :p

4. crowl

crowl Epic User

Who needs Greed skulls when you can throw sheep!

5. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Yeah... last year's April Fool's was better.

6. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

I thought the gag worked better with that old clunker of a login screen. Despite the fixes, that just sticks in your mind, you know?

Well, the main crew already noted that they weren't going to do anything major this year, just sit back and coast through the day. Besides, I could never hope to match the menu system overlay. That was the most awesome thing I had ever seen them do. :D

7. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

Not such a bad idea actually. Any cheater would hesitate twice before entering a server with this since they could end up branded for life :D .

8. TurdDrive

TurdDrive sam k

lol'ed

9. Quaglax

Quaglax May the funk be with you...

Man that sucks this is an April Fools joke but that would actually be a very cool idea. :(

10. daloonie

daloonie sex boobs nude

W0RFED!

11. B4NE

B4NE Unregistered User

lol I actually like this idea...would be a good way of stirring up some new interest in the game when people saw it in their friend's status'....

12. Kazimira

Kazimira Necris Fan

Haha nice joke.

13. Apathy

Apathy The original

If they really want to make the game more enjoyable they need to get rid of the gamespy login altogether, it is an unnecessary burden, it wasn't in any unreal game before UT3 and doesn't need to be in this one either.

14. Enfluence

Enfluence I kinda like UT3.

lol Facebook

15. TheIronKnuckle

TheIronKnuckle What the hell is this "ballin" thing?

you know what, this doesn't sound too bad, i'd prefer facebook over ****ing gamespy :lol:

Nice joke article though

16. Cox

Cox New Member

Hahaha i almost believed it :D

17. Gryph

Gryph trap

you had me for a fraction of a second, but only because I wouldn't put it beyond epic to do something that stupid

18. Crotale

Crotale _________________________ _______________

Although I refrain from using such sites, I can see the potential in using such an avenue for customer interaction, player interaction, etc. In all honesty, I'm surprised Epic doesn't yet have a spot on Sony Home.

19. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

I fell for it. I didn't even know what day it was.

I logged into IRC and started to bitch about it. Then I realized :(

20. Mr. UglyPants

Mr. UglyPants 2007 never existed, it was all a dream.

Lolz, on reading it a second time i was like, oh **** its a joke xD.