UT3 is the best of the series

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I don't think one is particularly "better" than than the others. I love all of the UT series and they all have aspects I like. If I go from UT2KX to UT to UT3 I get different experiences.

It's like playing 3 different games with a similar theme. They all rock :)
+1. Absolutely true.

Nearly istagib? The bolo web was one of the slowest moving projectiles in the game.
Yes, but once it got where it supposed to get - instagib.

The reason I love UT3 is because it's fun. I don't know what it is about it, but no matter what happens, the game is fun as heck.

Some people push UT3 aside because it doesn't have this, or it doesn't have that. I hate that. Then there are people who simply say it's not fun to them. That I can respect. But when people trounce the game because it doesn't have something in it, it really makes me mad, even though I did that once too. But I got over it eventually. And I hope you all can do the same and just enjoy the game for what it has, not what it got rid of.
+1 Another true post. It's just fun for me too, I'm not sure why. Though I suspect the Hoverboard.
And yeap, complaining that the game doesn't *have* something is stupid. Just go and make it yourself, just like Malcolm was remade. Heck, I might as well go and make myself some egyptian meshes.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Yes, but once it got where it supposed to get - instagib.

Because it was slow moving it rarely ever hit anything; skilled enough players could easily dodge the bola and/or then dodge jump over the scorpion if it tried to rush the player. It was at most a decent transport. The new scorpion is much more deadly and feasible as an offensive weapon.

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Except for the fact that its either total gore or not gore (Still waiting for a mut to fix this :p), UT3 is pretty damn awesome.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So what you are basically saying is; "if you don't have the same opinion as me we can't have a reasonable conversation"?
In addition to what DP said, yes, I do believe that if you don't agree with me we can't have a reasonable conversation. VCTF in UT2004 was completely and utterly flawed, everything from the gametype to the maps to the gameplay was just broken, and if you think I am wrong then you are not looking at the gametype in that game with any sense of reason at all (note: enjoying a gametype is not the same as it being a good gametype).

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
In addition to what DP said, yes, I do believe that if you don't agree with me we can't have a reasonable conversation.
Ok then I got it right. Looks like we have a new King of Scottland. :]
VCTF in UT2004 was completely and utterly flawed, everything from the gametype to the maps to the gameplay was just broken, and if you think I am wrong then you are not looking at the gametype in that game with any sense of reason at all
If you state that everything was broken and flawed you should have something more to offer then "because I say so". There was a lot of weird maps in 2k4 vctf and mantarunning was a discussed topic (though a map layout issue only), but as a gametype it had much more diversity then the UT3 version. Replacing tactics with gimmiks, that seem to be the way UT3 handle things, doesn't make a better gametype imo. The only one who lacks a sense of reason here seems to be you since you claim that a large quantity of players are wrong but refuse to give any better explanation then "because Brizz say so".
(note: enjoying a gametype is not the same as it being a good gametype).
Interesting, so there can be a good gametype that nobody enjoys? I'm truly interested in the resoning behind that.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Epic knew VCTF in UT2004 was flawed/broken, why else would they not ship any maps for it? They only kept support for it because they knew people would want to try it once they started playing Onslaught. Although, they did a couple tweaks to it with patches.

The fact that the gametype is an "easter egg" says everything about the state of UT2004 VCTF.

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
Epic knew VCTF in UT2004 was flawed/broken, why else would they not ship any maps for it? They only kept support for it because they knew people would want to try it once they started playing Onslaught. Although, they did a couple tweaks to it with patches.

The fact that the gametype is an "easter egg" says everything about the state of UT2004 VCTF.
Wrong. They didn't think people would like it so they never finished it up, and obviously they were wrong. That it should have been because of flaws is something you made up yourself.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I don't see how carrying flags in vehicles is bad. I mean, come on, in UT3 it's almost impossible to score - you can't carry flags in any vehicles plus you don't have the Shield Gun. Any Goliath or Raptor will blow you to bits easily. Plus, carrying flags in vehicles in UT2004 was quite dangerous as well, because to get a vehicle to carry the flag in, you had to either come with one (so use the same health for two trips round the whole map) or go back near your own base where vehicles are no longer locked, and in that case the enemies wouldn't protect the flag even if there were no vehicles. As for manta runs, you can do basically the same in UT3, just hold onto a Manta with the Hoverboard. Standing on the Manta didn't hive much advantage against vehicles anyway, because you can't use AVRiL there.

And if you still keep saying that it's too easy to get the flag in UT2004, try out VCTF-Garden offline. You will take around 20 tries to actually get to the flag, and another 20 to score, because that map is really pathed well, has only 2 vehicles per side, and to get the flag you have to infiltrate the enemy fortress.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
VCTF in UT3 actually requires teamwork, whereas in UT2004 you could win a VCTF match solo with a Manta.

I don't really think we need to go over why VCTF was broken in 2k4. The shield gun, lack of quick moving transportation that had any form of a disadvantage, carrying flags in vehicles and more all contributed to it being an awful chaotic mess that simply cannot be considered well balanced or good.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
I think the main problem here is how you exactly define something being "broken."

Every time I see someone complaining that something is indeed "broken" or "gamebreaking" it's usually being looked at from a competitive standpoint. Just keep in mind that not everyone looks at games and how they are played or designed from such a view, nor do game designers make their games to be specifically for competitive play. They are designed to be what they deem to be FUN for the players first and foremost.

A classic example of this is the latest class update for TF2. There's tons of people whining about the sandman unlock from a competitive standpoint to the point it's actually been banned from use in CEVO league games already. Then there's the other half of players who have no problem with it, and actually see it as "fun to use" and a viable counter to ubers (where before there was none).

It's all in how you look at it and to tell someone they are 'wrong" and that they cant have a "reasonable" conversation about it because they dont look at it the same way you do is pretty reeedonkulous.

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
Tip: Finish the sentence before you hit "Submit Reply". ;)

VCTF in UT3 actually requires teamwork, whereas in UT2004 you could win a VCTF match solo with a Manta.
Solo? It took at least one driver and one wingman, and the wingman could easily be shot off the wing on the already woulnerable Manta.

I don't really think we need to go over why VCTF was broken in 2k4. The shield gun, lack of quick moving transportation that had any form of a disadvantage, carrying flags in vehicles and more all contributed to it being an awful chaotic mess that simply cannot be considered well balanced or good.
This just proves once again you know too little about 2k4 VCTF to be able to have a valid opinion. "Quick moving transportation that had any form of a disadvantage", the Raptor and Cicada is the quickest with the disadvantage that you could not carry a flag, same goes for Manta but there you could co-op and ride on the wing. Jumping into a waiting HB manning the guns to keep of the pursuit was a thrill, limiting the vehicles to spam and tow as in UT3 takes a lot of the fun of VCTF away.

2k4 VCTF were in itself really well balanced, some maps wasn't. If you didn't like it ok, but you don't have to make up reasons for it.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org

Actually, Raptor and Manta were the two vehicles you couldn't carry the vehicle in. And the Cicada, I think. Those were the only exceptions. So technically you couldn't solo it... you had to have a manta driver to do your manta runs with.

Molgan pointed that out before I did though. But to be fair to him, hitting a flag carrier on a fast-moving, jumping manta was difficult at best and near impossible at worst.

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
Yeah! I knew this day would come! I also knew that when it did there would be a few that would say "Your wrong! UT3 is a horrible game and here's the reasons why you shouldn't play it..."

Bah! I think the Vanilla version of UT3 has just surpassed my heavily modded version of UT2k4 (which until today was my favorite). Time to hunt some mods! Sadly I'll have to go elsewhere because... well... you know... the mod selection here kinda sucks.

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
The reason manta running was taken out was because it was "zero risk, huge reward" situation. It was easy as pie to bypass the defense and grab the flag. Now that you have to do flag running on a hoverboard, much more coordination is needed.

What has change is player skill level: UT2k4 VCTF was full of players that knew what they were doing, UT3 VCTF is full of people playing DM with vehicles.

UT3's vehicle balance is also much better overall than 2k4's.