UT3 is the best of the series

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I agree with most of it, except the balancing of vehicles. Necris Vehicles are generally more powerful. Part of it is certain maps like Avalance and Suspense Necris give the necris sides too many powerful ones. (In suspense necris the necris side gets two nemesis').
Yea, that's one part of UT3 I don't like: non-symmetrical arenas. And especially when the power is on the blue side, and you by default play on red...

It made more sense in UC2 because the game was designed around the Nahkti concept. UT2 was like "hey here's some Egyptians, but we're not going to tell you where they came from or how they fit into the universe." Same with the Nightmare, and Gen Mo'kai teams.
Obviously you didn't see/don't remember UT2003 intro. It's quite clear that it's a Tournament where you get teleported to other planets to fight.

Completely dissagree with this, the community made vctf in 2k4.
No, the community made maps, not the gametype.

You are correct about the scorp. You are about the bender, but only if you weren't that goodwith it. And now you don't use the bender to travel because it's damn slow!

Eh, what? Scorpion for transport? It had a nearly instagib web that kills everything! While Hellbender was useless as you can't shoot while driving.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
I dont know.. I still like tons of aspects of the other games > UT3.

UT assault was and still is my fav gametype of any ut game.
Invasion was a second.
original UT dom third.
All gone in ut3.

Greed is my new fav gametype but only because I loved headhunters so much in quake 3. So to me its more like playing a quake3 gametype with ut weapons over "wow look at this NEW way to play."

I still like the "tournament" storyline over this war thing. Was always a wrestling fan as a kid so the "tournament deathmatch" style really appealed to me and made it "different". Now it's a futuristic WWII game like everything else out there.

UT2004 scorpion was also my fav vehicle. LOVED the bolos over the little nade things it has now. I used to take tons of flying vehicles and mantas out of the air with those things. New weapon is pretty much for ground troops in my opinion. Also dont know if it's me or not but it seems the new ground vehicles are a LOT harder to control. The scorpion seems to bounce and spin out way more than it' original counterpart.

Juggernauts. Fav race in any fps game ever. Gone...

I also cant say I care for the stock maps in ut3. In both ut and 2k4 there were those certain maps that stuck out and became iconic in the game. The only ones that truly "stick out" to me in this one as fun to play are remakes of old ones. Also not too fond of all the gimmicky things in the ut3 maps like the darkwalker in a dm map or the mixed low grav areas and teleports in gateway to name a few.

Far as graphics style goes, yeah the game looks pretty as hell but it just doesnt "do" it for me gameplay-wise. Thats just me though. My fav maps to play in the game over any others are the HOLP pack maps simply because they are simply textured and promote gameplay/layout over eyecandy. Thats just the type of person I am and one reason why i play quakelive more than UT3 :D.
Another big thing for me in the style department is the players. In other games the different teams all had a distinct style to them. In ut3 they all look the same. Bulky armored people with a few different heads to throw on them. Ive skinned players for almost every fps game I play, yet I have no desire whatsoever to touch any of these.

Just my opinions mind you.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
No, the community made maps, not the gametype.

I wasnt implying that the community made the game type, I was more on about that they supported it and made it what it was.
You cant say that for the community in UT3 because all thats played are stock maps.

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Obviously you didn't see/don't remember UT2003 intro. It's quite clear that it's a Tournament where you get teleported to other planets to fight.

How is this different from UT?

In UT people were already familiar with Skaarj and Nali from Unreal. The only characters/races added were Xan and that was explained in the course of the game as he was the current champion / owner of Liandri corporation.

If you can show me where the Nahkti, Nightmares and Gen Mo'kai are clearly explained in the UT2 backstory I'm more than willing to keep discussing this matter.

@Boog: Give L4D a try? It has the survival element of invasion mixed with the "can you do better?" nature of assault.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It made more sense in UC2 because the game was designed around the Nahkti concept. UT2 was like "hey here's some Egyptians, but we're not going to tell you where they came from or how they fit into the universe." Same with the Nightmare, and Gen Mo'kai teams.

The Asian motif fits since I think the Izanagi corporation is Asian origin. As is the Ronin team.

http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Ronin
:tup: EXACTLY!
You mean in terms of storyline this makes no sense? Because I like the visuals very much! They differ from all the other great stuff :)
I don't REALLY mind the visual style, it just made no sense to go from gritty, kind of worn architecture to this glassy, brand new looking design between UT and UT2003. UT2004 had the worst amount of consistent level design of any UT or UC game so far.
Completely dissagree with this, the community made vctf in 2k4. The whole gametype was made by people who specifically played the game type. The maps where very simplistic with creative layouts and not jammed up to the tits with vehicles. UT3's idea of phun in vctf is to place every vehicle made for the game on one map.
And that's exactly why it sucked in 2k4. There were no good maps. They were almost unilaterally the same poor style and poor design.

It's kind of a proof that Epic can't just provide a "working" gametype and let the community make maps for it without any basis for gameplay and design from Epic. We have boatloads of cool custom VCTF maps in UT3, because Epic gave several perfectly fine examples of well balanced maps.

If you honestly think VCTF was better in UT2004, I don't think we can even have a reasonable conversation about vehicle balance or map quality in UT3.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
From what I recall a team was working on a DOM UT3 project.
Haven't heard about it, nor do I know what has happened to it.

Well I was talking official modes from Epic.

If we are going to take usermods into consideration, UT2004 rules over all of them in my opinion as it has Alien Swarm and Rocketeer. I played those two mods more than any stock/official mode of any UT :D
(in fact a bunch of us from sudreal still play Alien Swarm to this day)

@Boog: Give L4D a try? It has the survival element of invasion mixed with the "can you do better?" nature of assault.

Got it the day it came out and I loves it :D

Oh and I also miss the 4-team aspect of the original UT. Why they took it out is completely beyond me as it was something that set it apart from other fps games besides the shombo.

Last edited:

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
The reason I love UT3 is because it's fun. I don't know what it is about it, but no matter what happens, the game is fun as heck. I think it's the weapons. Meh, probably. The only problem I have with UT3 however, is that it won't work, and even then that's my fault due to crappy hardware *coughGeForce6200cough*. And now with the Titan Pack out, I just HAVE to upgrade.

Some people push UT3 aside because it doesn't have this, or it doesn't have that. I hate that. Then there are people who simply say it's not fun to them. That I can respect. But when people trounce the game because it doesn't have something in it, it really makes me mad, even though I did that once too. But I got over it eventually. And I hope you all can do the same and just enjoy the game for what it has, not what it got rid of.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
. We have boatloads of cool custom VCTF maps in UT3, because Epic gave several perfectly fine examples of well balanced maps.

Only ones ive seen so far are remakes of 2k4 maps, so there must be a demand for these "same poor style and poor design" maps for them to be remade.

there is only one map in vctf that is balanced and that is suspence, the rest have some kind of gimmick that shifts that balance to the team that gets there first.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Learn to dodge.
idd

it's really not that hard to avoid rockets tbh. Unless suffering a direct hit, a single doesn't often do a ton of damage, and if your awareness is up to snuff, usually you can hear double/triple packs being loaded in time to make an escape.