1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 Hackers

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Jaydee, Mar 30, 2008.

1. i_hax

i_hax member since Jan07... didn't survive

QFT

If I was to hack a game and ruin other peoples fun, I think I'd pick a game that was actually popular.

2. Hedge

Hedge Wish I was with her

um, bad hygene? ;)

3. MonsOlympus

MonsOlympus Active Member

Note to self: Dont play popular games! :lol:

4. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

So either UT3 is more popular than most people give it credit ...
    or the anti-cheats on more popular games have become so good that the crackers are targeting the less popular games instead.

If aliases that suggest 'aimbot' were supposed to be taken for 'real' then someone using 'n00b' as part of his/her alias is just as likely to be a n00b as well ...
    In fact if it were that easy then all server-admins have to do is to auto-kick/ban anyone whose alias is 'aimbot' or 'cheater' or 'wallhacker' or 'n00bnugget' ... ;)

5. MonsOlympus

Or i_hax, wahbot etc :p

6. Lethargy

Lethargy Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

You know... if I were going to cheat to ruin people's fun, I would actually probably do it in a fairly unpopular game. Think about it, if there are tons of people then they are going to have fun regardless, and you are just griefing them temporarily before they go back to enjoying the game. However, if there are very few people playing, and they aren't having much fun because of it, you will do much more significant damage to their enjoyment of the game, you'll be able to cruelly snuff out the little spark of enjoyment the game still holds for them. It's like going for the wounded antelope in the herd in order to have the best chance of a kill.

7. MonsOlympus

Do people actually put this much thought into cheating? You make it sound like industrial espionage :lol:

8. Doz

Doz Dream Theater

Here is a Client side Anti Cheat program Free

http://www.xraygaming.com/

Currently the following games are supported by XAC...
    Battlefield 2 *NEW*
    Call of Duty 4
    Counter Strike 1.6
    Counter Strike Source
    Counter Strike Condition Zero
    Day of Defeat
    Day of Defeat Source
    Team Fortress 2
    Unreal Tournament 3 ;)

9. Lethargy

Looks nice for leagues... I don't see how you could make people install and run this to play in public servers. Could be cool if built into a game, but people would learn to work around it and ultimately it would just be wasting resources, much like piracy protection.

10. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I haven't seen any cheeting online in UT3. Crysis on the other hand, is a different story. However, the hacking is rather funny, when the nomad is running 200 miles and hour and keeps running into stuff. :D

11. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

I used X-Ray, then I realised it actually does **** all. It just takes a screenshot at the end of the game. Very few aimbots would be picked up by that.

12. »Silenoz«

»Silenoz« New Member

I saw lauren cheating on akasha:eek:

13. ambershee

Pics or it didn't happen.

14. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

I saw a guy who could have been a cheater once - if he was, he used some sophisticated hack, like triggerbot or something similar. And I heard a lot of another one that pops up randomly across european servers - same nick got reported on UTForums and certain russian forums aswell. That guy has insane double enforcer stats, while he basically sucks with any other weapon.

That's not possible with client-server network model. It's server that determines if you're hit or not, server determines what your health is and server determines if you died or not. Client can't do anything about.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  15. ambershee

External programs can intercept incoming and ongoing traffic to report false information to the server.

16. awaw

awaw I didn't survive the '08 BUF crash

So? The client tells the server: I have moved a step left, not I have picked up a health pickup. The server checks whether the player collides with a pickup and then increases his health.
    The only way a client could do something like that is, if he would really hack the server, so he can execute any code on it, but that's way harder and not really worth the effort.

17. ambershee

If you know the server frame rate and have very low latency, an external program can 'jitterbug' the player position, jumping the player rapidly between specific relative positions. The server uses these positions to calculate whether a player has been hit or not - but tells other clients to simulate only some of them. This results in false hits on the client side, because the visual simulation isn't matching the server calculation.

It's surprisingly easy to do, because games generally only deal with absolutes.

18. DarQraven

DarQraven New Member

Well, apparently I am hacking. At least, if I can believe the text messages I receive often.

19. [TT]BrundleFly

[TT]BrundleFly New Member

I have an excellent anti-cheat program. If you cheat your home address is emailed to me. Then I send over my 350 pound sister and she sits on your face and :morety:

20. Lethargy

My favorite is when people say "I have a program that tells me when people are cheating and it proves you are a cheater." I mean dear god... what has to be going through your head...