"UT3.exe has stopped working"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
I have a new Windows Vista PC with SP2. Whenever I click the UT3 icon on the desktop to play, the game tries to load then the error pops up. This is like several times this happened. My Sys specs are:
MS Windows Vista SP2
CPU:Intel Dual Core Celeron 420 @2.50GHz
Ram:2GB Nanya Technology Dual-Channel DDR2 @399MHz
Motherboard: Dell ORY007 ,Intel P35/G33/G31 Chipset
Graphics: 320MB Intel G33/G31 Express card
HDD: 250GB
Audio: Realtek HD Audio

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB

^^^

That's not gonna happen.

It'll run w/ that CPU if you get a better video card, but it's still going to run like crap.

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009

^^^

That's not gonna happen.

It'll run w/ that CPU if you get a better video card, but it's still going to run like crap.

UT2k4 runs great on it with no sluggish at all. If I upgrade the ram along with the graphics card then there will no problem running UT3. I also looked at the logs and it all points to one thing, a pos graphics card.

Last edited:

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
Sorry for double posting. I forgot to mention, I also went to the site "Can You Run It", did a scan and the results were my graphics card is not capable using UT3. Also did a scan for other games as well with bad results. Time to buy a graphics card that's compatible with all games.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
UT2k4 runs great on it with no sluggish at all. If I upgrade the ram along with the graphics card then there will no problem running UT3. I also looked at the logs and it all points to one thing, a pos graphics card.
That's some sound logic you've got there.

Doom runs great on my old laptop from 2000, I'm sure if I had more ram installed I'd be able to play Doom3 just fine. :crysmile:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The problem is, your CPU is WAY behind the times. You're on a Celeron. We're talking a dual core of older technology than the Athlon 64 x2 here.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's not about processor speed, it's about architecture. The processor you linked me to is a Core 2 Duo, which is only a couple of years old. Celeron technology is at least 4 years old.

I don't know what a dual core celeron 420 is, since it doesn't seem to exist, but I can tell you that the Celeron 420 is slower than an Athlon XP 2500+.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
It's not about processor speed, it's about architecture. The processor you linked me to is a Core 2 Duo, which is only a couple of years old. Celeron technology is at least 4 years old.

I don't know what a dual core celeron 420 is, since it doesn't seem to exist, but I can tell you that the Celeron 420 is slower than an Athlon XP 2500+.
There is no dual core Celeron 420, but there is a single core Celeron 420 rated at 1.6 Ghz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116040
http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SL9XP

With only 512kb of L2 Cache, that alone would make the game almost unplayable on that system, no matter how much it was overclocked. UT3 can vary frame rates depending on cache by huge amounts according to some tests. :/

Last edited:

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
Whatever the reason, maybe I mis-read my system specs. It's a single Intel Celeron 450 2.20GHz. Someone also told me about the Alienware PCs so I'll save up enough money to buy an Alieware.

Last edited: