UT3 Editor Crash on Start Up

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Robject09

Nov 4, 2009
Hi,

I’ve been having a major problem with the UT3 editor this last week and really need some help. Basically every time I try to boot up the editor it crashes whilst loading. The game itself still runs and I’m not loading a specific level design, just the editor itself, so I have no idea what’s causing this crash.

I can fix it briefly if I:
- Uninstall the game
- Manually delete all the linked files
- Then reinstall again.

This then allows me to use the software once or twice. After that, try and load the editor and - BANG - the crash is back.

I don’t know if this is related but I have been trying to get some skeletal meshes into my scene. It’s the only thing I’ve started to attempt, which I haven’t tried before so it might be relevant but I don’t see how…
In addition, when I come to uninstall the software the windows security thingamybob pops up and says, "Do you want to continue blocking this software". Now I would have assumed this to be the problem, case closed, but when go to the firewall and try to list UT3 as an exception... it already is, and thus is not being blocked at all.

I really have no clue what to do so I really hope someone has encountered this problem before. Any help I can get on this will be much appreciated as I can't continue with my mod if I have to spend two hours a day, after getting in from work, uninstalling the reinstalling just so I can do a few minutes editing before I decide I'm hungry or want a beer! :(

Rob

Robject09

Nov 4, 2009
Hi Hunter, thanks for posting back so quickly.

The crash occurs as soon as I try to load the editor.

I did try to find the editor executable on the off chance it is being blocked by something but I couldn't find any EXE with the word "Editor" or similar under the folder I've installed it all in. Does the editor, perhaps, randomly get installed elseware or am I just clutching at straws now?

Robject09

Nov 4, 2009
Well I've checked the shortcut and it's linked to the same EXE... it just has the word 'editor' typed after it, which I guess causes the editor to boot up rather than the main game. Anyway I've made sure nothing relating to unreal is blocked and it's still not working, so maybe it's something else. Still no idea what though :(

Robject09

Nov 4, 2009
Well I reinstalled, yet again, last week... and have been systematically transfering my files from external memory to the sub directory under the "MyDocuments" folder... and it works. All I can think is that something is contained inside one of the older versions of my level and once it's back in said directory it completely stops the editor from working.

Anyway, panic over, should be back into the swing of things within the next couple of weeks :)