UE3 - UT3 UT3 Custom Character Issues

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
Weather you’re a noob to UT character modding or an old master of the art; we all run into problems or roadblock sometime or the other.
It can be a little frustrating at times when looking answers to as to why your new Piakchu model looks like a friggin glow stick.
So I though it would be great to have a thread where we can discus some of the common and not so common problem facing UT3 characters modders and ways to fix em.

Here’s a list of some problems I have run into at the moment.
  • Opacity Mask not showing up in game: It works in the character selection screen but when I start a match it does not work. Any one else had this problem?
  • Second eye texture region shows black in game.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9263/screenshot00207mf8.jpg

[*]Real cloth physics doesn't work in game. However is works in the editor and with sekeletal meshes placed in maps.[/LIST]

I’ve putting together a list of resources and tutorials that should come in very handy. :D
If you know of any other great tutorials, please post them and I’ll ad it to the list.

Skinning Tutorials:
Slaughter’s Skinning Tutorial

Custom Character Tutorials:
UDN
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UT3CustomCharacters.html

3DS Max

GeoDev’s Custom Character Tutorial

Camurai’s Custom Character Tutorial

Custom Head Model Tutorial

Maya
Denny’s Maya Tutorials

XSI
http://www.fundi3d.com/tutorials.html

Epic's 3DS Max Rigs.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UT3Mods.html

Actor X Plugins
http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorX.html

Slaughter

exsomnis
Feb 16, 2004
Germany
slaughter.jimdo.com
Here’s a list of some problems I have run into at the moment.

* Opacity Mask not showing up in game: It works in the character selection screen but when I start a match it does not work. Any one else had this problem?
* Second eye texture region shows black in game.

Yeah, I ran into the exact same problems.

Opacity maps won´t work unless you change the phong lighting to unlit...which looks pretty stupid when you want to do hair or something.
I have no Idea if Epic plans to fix this Issue or not.

One of my problems:
* When adding facemasks, helmets and glasses the models seem slightly misplaced in character customization.
Ingame however they work like they should.

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
Something weird I've noticed when switching custom characters. When every I select one of the original UT3 characters and then select one of my custom characters its textures gets replaced with the texture of the previous character.

WatchMaker

Jul 31, 2008
I've followed every Custom UT3 Character tutorial here, but none have addressed my issue. When I go to import my character mesh, UE3 just crashes. No messages, no errors, just a crash. I've tried everything I can think of, including importing EXACTLY what comes in the UT3_Male.max file, but still no luck.

Can anyone help me? I'd really like to get started modding.

Max_Damage_uk

May 20, 2002
uk
Visit site
I managed to get both eyes to show up by moving the uvs of the left eye.
ingame1.jpg

kirrawolfe

Aug 14, 2008
my character was coming in all glowey so i took off the specular map and i dont have an emissive map on it... still it runs all glowey. shows up fine in the character screen... any ideas?

kirrawolfe

Aug 14, 2008
yea... i looked at that... i have a different type of glowing issue...

kirrawolfe

none of their texture is showing up and they are glowing white. i made a material instance constant with only a diffuse on it right now... help please!

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
I've had that happen to me a couple of times too. It's quite annoying.
I didn't find out exactly what was causing the problem but I eventually had to create my on custom family code to fix it.
kirrawolfe which tutorial did you follow?

I managed to get both eyes to show up by moving the uvs of the left eye.
ingame1.jpg
Yeah that works but it's kind of useless to have that second eye texture region it to doesn't work.
I had a character design that has two different colour eyes.

Last edited:

Droknar

Sep 3, 2008
Solid Glowy Character

I ran into a similar issue with the character looking like they're made of pure energy (massive glow, not from bloom).

When I double-checked the texture properties in Unreal Editor (doubleclick your textures, not your material), I realized I had made a mistake and had not specified the LODGroup to TEXTUREGROUP_Character, _CharacterSpecular, or _CharacterNormalMap. All of them were set at the default TEXTUREGROUP_World.

Setting up my diffuse and emissive on _Character, the spec on _CharacterSpecular, and the normal on _CharacterNormalMap were the only changes I made, and my character showed up correctly the next time I played UT3.

Hope this helps =)

-D

sjgrunge

Dec 6, 2008
I tried downloading the actorx plugin for 3ds max 2009 32-bit, but after installing it, every time I start max I get this error message:

3dsactorxerror.jpg

can anyone help? I know I downloaded the right version because I re-tried it several times.