UT3 achievements: PC???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
I know UT3 is not part of the Games for Windows thingy or whatever it's called. I heard the PC version does not have achievements.

Well the 360 version is coming sooner or later (April maybe), and they HAVE to add achievements in the 360 version to be released on 360.

So anyoone think they might add these in to the PC version after the fact or what?

Minimaul

Hate Kill Destroy
Apr 28, 2002
Visit site
Not really, no. I mean if you're comparing the PC and Xbox version, then yeah, maybe. But i consider the achievements as something exclusive to the Xbox and not something needed for PC players who already have the game and have either beaten it and/or don't care about that stuff because they only play online.

Do the GoW Xbox360 players feal cheated because the PC version has more stuff (it does, doesn't it)?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
To answer that last question, yes it has more stuff in it, and yes, I haven't seen more whining about exclusive platform content in a while.

Personally, I think it's refreshing to see the exclusive content on the PC instead of the console for a change :lol:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I know UT3 is not part of the Games for Windows thingy or whatever it's called. I heard the PC version does not have achievements.

Well the 360 version is coming sooner or later (April maybe), and they HAVE to add achievements in the 360 version to be released on 360.

So anyoone think they might add these in to the PC version after the fact or what?
Achievements only work if the game supports the Live!-network ... (and since UT3 does not have the "games for windows"-logo that is unlikely to patched in by Epic).
That's not to say that someone could write a mutator that displayed whatever 'achievements' you got while playing the game.
It would be interesting to see if Epic could think of some cool variants instead of the usual "kill x enemies using weapon y" that most games have.

What is interesting is that the scripts that support 'achievements' are part of the UT3-scripts already. Although they probably are tagged with a 'console-only' check.

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
Achievements only work if the game supports the Live!-network ... (and since UT3 does not have the "games for windows"-logo that is unlikely to patched in by Epic).
That's not to say that someone could write a mutator that displayed whatever 'achievements' you got while playing the game.
It would be interesting to see if Epic could think of some cool variants instead of the usual "kill x enemies using weapon y" that most games have.

What is interesting is that the scripts that support 'achievements' are part of the UT3-scripts already. Although they probably are tagged with a 'console-only' check.

Yeah this is more what I'm getting at. I was guessing that the whole gamerscore thing has caught on with Windows games. I guess if enough people want it, they can patch it, and add it in.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Yeah this is more what I'm getting at. I was guessing that the whole gamerscore thing has caught on with Windows games. I guess if enough people want it, they can patch it, and add it in.
Well the thing is -- they already do have an achievement system in Unreal Tournament 3.

The announcers are tracked by the game and sent to various trackers (I think EnemyDown is the only one at the moment though). So you can count how many Combo Kings you got... which is basically all the tracking and achievements you can get for UT3.

If you want cross-game score... then no... Microsoft demands that the game be in Games for Windows Live to support Live gamerscores.

Unfortunately Microsoft also demands a couple of other things to be a Games for Windows Live game... such as limiting User-Generated content. (New content would need to be certified with Microsoft to be allowed in the game... Mike Capps, President of Epic Games explains all http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=spzTbkXJZh4 {Check ~3 minutes 10 seconds})

So... if you want to remove UnrealED and all custom content apart from Microsoft certified... to substitute for Gamerscore... okay -- but I'd much prefer UnrealED to an arbitrary e-peen number.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Yeah this is more what I'm getting at. I was guessing that the whole gamerscore thing has caught on with Windows games.
I doubt it has caught on, but then I rarely if ever look at my gamerscore for my console-games. That's not to say that some games have nice achievements, but most are so boring and mindnumbingly dull that even a simple 'double kill'-reward in UT is more fun.

And then there's the fact that you can get achievements only once in a lifetime, which would make it quite a bit of work for something that most people won't ever see (again).

I really wonder if MS ever allows games to be certified for "games for Windows"-standard after they've been released.
If it happens then it probably will be like a "game of the year"-version ...
I seriously doubt that it can be patched in even though there are no technical reasons for such a restriction.

Keep in mind that Epic has signed a contract with Gamespy for their master-server (essentially : Gamespy's answer to some of the Live!-services). I think they (and their lawyers) would be extremely unhappy if Epic decided to end that contract without giving them a very good reason ...

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
Well I guess the whole UED type of thing kills it. Either way I'll personally still get achivements cause 360 is where i'll play it, but I just was wondering if a year from now, when poeple who have started to build a gamerscore would want those same achievements, and feel left out. From the tone of responses so far, I guess not.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
That is the one thing I've always wondered about when people explain how great xbox live is: what the EFF is the point of the gamerscore?
First of all, it says absolutely nothing about how good you are. The most accurade reading of it would be (1/gamerscore)*100 = percent of social life left.
I've seen people with gamerscores into the tenthousands being beaten by guys who had actual skills, yet zero-to-little achievements.

I mean ... are they really necessary? If getting achievement X is the only reason you're playing a game, then you just shouldn't be playing it at all. If the gameplay isn't compelling enough to keep you playing, what's the point of 'goals'?
I can understand that it's nice to just play and suddenly see a popup telling you you've unlocked this or that achievement. It's a certain sense of gratification, much like the announcer sounds in UT.

There's one difference though...scoring an ultrakill takes considerable skill (or at least a lot of luck;)), so you are rewarded that for being good at the game.
Most achievements I've seen are filler. A game has to have the 1000 score, so there are achievements in the game that actually stop you from playing the game, and instead make you whore 1 weapon, or camp, or do something else unproductive.

Prime example of this is BF2142(also criticized for it's rank/unlock system), where the existence of badges such as "50 knife kills in a match", "5 successive pistol kills", "10 hours in Assault Hoverjet" and other useless crap meant you regularly ran into people on the edge of the map, sitting there in their hoverjet, denying it to their team. Or the wonderful knife-only battles on Titan decks, where you'd usually be flamed and called a cheater/noob for mowing down all the idiots jumping around with knives. Mind you this was not an xbox game, but a PC game with a controversial unlocks system.

At least in BF you got actual, in-game rewards for your statpadding, like new gadgets, a custom knife, extra weapons, scope, etc.

So really ... in my opinion achievements, unlocks and the like ruin gameplay on a lot of servers, while being completely unnecessary unless tied to in-game rewards other than "My GS>Your GS" and a cute little pop-up.
So the choice between "achievements+paid online service" and "editor/mod content" for me is perfectly clear.

Last edited:

i_hax

member since Jan07... didn't survive
Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
That is the one thing I've always wondered about when people explain how great xbox live is: what the EFF is the point of the gamerscore?

I wonder the same.

Like, say, I spend 200hrs playing UT3 on Xbox while someone else plays 50 different games for 4hrs each... who has the higher gamerscore? It seems utterly pointless to me - even more pointless than your rank in a specific game.

IMO It seems like a scheme to get idiots to buy more games.

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008

You mean the gamerscore thing that comes with Windows Live for the PC? Hah, yea right. That thing is so dead it's not even funny - no one on the PC wants to pay for things that they're used to having for free, and very few developers implement it (only three games come to mind that have used it on the PC - GoW, Shadowrun, and Viva Pinata).

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
Say no to PC achievements!

They're really not necessary. While I'm fairly certain that once the XBox has achievements, there'll be plenty of people and whiners feeling cheated and left out, but I'll as happily ignore their whines as I ignore the ones saying "oh noes, UT3 sucks". I disagree enough with them, our value systems are different enough, so we won't to be able to reasonably talk with each other anyway.