UT2Vote48B3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

frogger187

eat. sleep. frag.
May 2, 2003
speaking of mobos..i may need one as well...i got brave and decided to try setting up my PC (no internet yet, but was going to get it ready) at the house last night. I had bought 4 Radio Shack transformers (240-110, 1600W) back in the states..I assumed these would be plenty. Long story short..plugged in PC and Monitor, flipped switch and boom, smoke, wife running upstairs....not sure how much damage it did.. They had told me the electricty was dirty here, but not sure how to get over it...I had 2 surge protectors between it and wall....

/rambling

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
If it was a high surge (voltage too high) the chances it only blew the fuse and Transorbs in your PC Power supply.
The monitor it would have only blown the Transorb.
The Transorb's are easily spotted as they are round and look like a button about 10 mm in diameter with wire legs about 20 mm in length and are normally Red or Blue in color.
The one's used in the monitor will be about 20 mm in diameter.

frogger187

eat. sleep. frag.
May 2, 2003
ProAsm said:
If it was a high surge (voltage too high) the chances it only blew the fuse and Transorbs in your PC Power supply.
The monitor it would have only blown the Transorb.
The Transorb's are easily spotted as they are round and look like a button about 10 mm in diameter with wire legs about 20 mm in length and are normally Red or Blue in color.
The one's used in the monitor will be about 20 mm in diameter.

where are these located?

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
In both cases where the mains wires go onto the PCBoard.
Transorbs have to be located as close to the incoming mains as possible.

Basically their job is to short circuit in case of a high surge like lightning and then blow the fuse.
It is therefore a requirement that they go after the fuse, but some idiot countries (no name and no packdrill) stick them before the fuse, therefore blowing the tripswitch in your house :(