UT2Vote45B3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
UT2Vote45 Beta 3

Dont ask what happend to Beta 2 as I dont know - it got lost in the chaos.

Beta 3 is identical to Beta 1 except:

The following has been removed:

SkinBright
HitSounds
WeaponShake
WeaponStats
TallyOverlay
Disable Adrenaline
Disable ComboAdrenaline

The first 3 had to go and so did the last 2 as they were part of the world shake in UT2Vote.
WeaponStats needed a lot of the Hitsound weapons so it had to go as well.
TallyOverlay is now permanently on and no option to disable it.

As you will notice also the size has dropped quite considerably from 1.2 megs to 520k
Removing the ClanSetup only drops it another 70k which is not worth it at the end of the day.

Now although it needs thorough testing just to see we have not interfered with too much there are several important items I need feedback pretty soon as I want to get a release of somekind out this weekend.

1. ClanMatch
This need a lot of testing, especially that GamePassword problem as I put the UT2Vote43 Password routines back.
Also make sure the Tournament Mode and PlayersMustBeReady and stuff is also properly reset.

2. Admin Menu
Make sure it does what its supposed to and that the various options are not mixed up or something.

3. Voting
Just make sure the voting still alll works ok and the Tally dissapear bug is still gone - tuco..

4. Standard Server
Here there are several options I want you to try to see if we can get a Standard Server.

1. ?Mutator=UT2Vote45B3.UT2Vote
2. As in (1) but set bStandardServer=False - that may do the trick as I got a hack in there now.

3. ?Mutator=UT2Vote45B3.MutBigHead ;)

4. ?Mutator=UT2Vote45B3.UT2VoteMulti - Also got a bit of a hack in here.

UTExtra

Ok there is also included in the zip file another zip file UTExtra.zip
In here is some of the stuff that was removed from UT2Vote like mainly:
SkinBright - HitSounds - WeaponShake
To get the Menu up for a normal player or Admin.
Mutate HitSounds
To change server stuff you need to login as ServerAdmin - Adminlogin etc...
In UT2Vote:
ServerMuts=UTExtra1B1.UTExtra
ServerPackages=UTExtra1B1

http://www.unreal.co.za/files/beta/ut2vote45b3.zip

Good luck and hurry with some feedback - hehe... :D

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
?Mutator=UT2Vote45B3.MutBigHead - WORKS!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA................... well done tuco
NOW we can fsck Epic right in the eye.... hahahahahaha :)

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
Ok this is for your eyes only

What I have done is put it back to normal so the game starts up the first time a ?Mutator=UT2Vote45.UT2Vote so it is all standard and normal without any confusion - BUT when the Restart comes into action AND every level change thereafter it starts up as ?Mutator=UT2Vote45.DMMutator and it works 100%
Unfortunately the UT2VoteMulti is not SS and never was but I dont think that is a big problem.

SO now that we have accomplished that where Epics WhiteList becomes meaningless because they cannot blacklist the DMMutator as it is the heart and sole of XGame.xDeathMatch.... hahahaha :)

Should we stick to our new UT2Vote45B3 with all the stuff removed or should we go back to UT2Vote45B1 with all the original stuff in it.
We can do that now as we have got Epic by the b*alls :)

sh0V3l

Oct 23, 2003
ProAsm said:
Ok this is for your eyes only

What I have done is put it back to normal so the game starts up the first time a ?Mutator=UT2Vote45.UT2Vote so it is all standard and normal without any confusion - BUT when the Restart comes into action AND every level change thereafter it starts up as ?Mutator=UT2Vote45.DMMutator and it works 100%
Unfortunately the UT2VoteMulti is not SS and never was but I dont think that is a big problem.

SO now that we have accomplished that where Epics WhiteList becomes meaningless because they cannot blacklist the DMMutator as it is the heart and sole of XGame.xDeathMatch.... hahahaha :)

Should we stick to our new UT2Vote45B3 with all the stuff removed or should we go back to UT2Vote45B1 with all the original stuff in it.

go with 45b1 for now id love see epic's hissy fit over this and like u say try to patch this one lol

frogger187

eat. sleep. frag.
May 2, 2003
ProAsm said:

please add back all content...if you are backdooring the Standard server status then you may as well make it a mut that everyone will want..This would give EVERY one what they want...Standard Server status as well as the features that everyone wants...I think this is a good direction to go. ..

sh0V3l

Oct 23, 2003
i know you all would probly catch it as i did but just in case theres a typo in ut2vote45b3.ini [[UT2Vote45B3.UT2VoteConfigs] all the sections start with [[ :)

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
Huh... sorry about that - was a last minute copy and paste.
Yeah just change to to one breacket either side else UT2Vote wont see it and write a new one... at the end of the day it should all be the same.
In fact you can dump the whole of the UT2Vote45B3.ini file and let UT2Vote just create you a new one :)

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
please add back all content...if you are backdooring the Standard server status then you may as well make it a mut that everyone will want..This would give EVERY one what they want...Standard Server status as well as the features that everyone wants...I think this is a good direction to go...
Ok this is what I will do.
I will use UT2Vote45B1 as is and release it with the 'backdoor' just to get everyone going.
If Epic now grumble and want to play ball, I will then rename UT2Vote45B4 to UT4Vote10B1.UT4Vote and we now go this route in a legal fashion and the add the 'backdoor' to any other mut we make, like UTExtra :)

I see there are only 233 odd Standard DeathMatch Servers - what happened to them all, at the last count about a month ago there were over 1000.

Last edited:

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
Just something I picked up in my tests here...
The above UT2Vote45B3 when used in the MutBigHead setup, although it will be seen as a Standard Server, it will NOT add any ServerPackages from the [UT2Vote45B3.UT2VotePackages]
Now although this may be a serious bug on your servers currently it is just as well I picked it up now.

tdw-socke

Nov 21, 2003
hmm, i don't think, that's a good idea... of course, i also like seeing epic getting a hit on their big nose, but is it worth it? i'd rather make a real whitelisted ut2vote like the b3 and offer an integratable (or not) mutator for the other things, maybe with player-class, which works a 100% (brightskinns and hitsounds and standard-model) and make that one fake the standard-server...

i always live by the motto "you allways meet twice" and imho the happyness about a success in cheating the masterserver might come back quite soon with the next patch on us, and in that case i would understand epic beeing upset...

if they don't whitlist the b3-founded version, it's another story, then i agree with you ;)

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
Socke as usual you are 100% correct and as much as I'm tempted to hold my finger at Epic, I do however feel we need to continue working on the professional manner we have done to date.

I have however received another mail from Epic but still no mention of the size requirement or whether UT2Vote will get back on the list, sometimes I think they are on drugs there or something.
However they have asked me to change UT2Vote's name so I am changing it to UT2Vote45.UT2VoteX - The UT2Vote45.UT2VoteMulti will currently remain as is.

So having said the above my intensions are as follows:

The current UT2Vote45B3.UT2Vote will after some fixes become UT2Vote45.UT2VoteX and will remain legal and Standard Server compatible and its then up to Epic to Whitelist UT2VoteX

HOWEVER

Just incase we run into problems regarding the Whitelist because I have decided that I am not prepared to compromise on the length of UT2VoteX as being 530k uncompressed as I feel Epics argument regarding Modem users just does not hold any water, therefore UT2Vote45.UT2VoteX will be released as follows:

bStandardServer=True
In this case the UT2Vote45.DMMutator will kick in and make UT2Vote SS compatible regardless of what Epic do regarding the Whitelist.

bStandardServer=False
If however Epic do come through and give UT2VoteX the go ahead for Whitelisting then the Admin can set this to False and use the Whitelist and UT2Vote45 will now be displayed as the Mutator in the browser instead of DMMutator.
At this point we can consider a v46 dumping the bStandardServer= altogether.

ALSO
UTExtra.MutBigHead will go ahead as normal which will consist of SkinBright, WeaponShake and HitSounds.
This mod will no doubt grow in time as we add stuff to it.

Last edited:

tdw-socke

Nov 21, 2003
now this one looks much better to me and i'm happy, that we still decide important things by using our brains more than our hearts ;)

how about a little cutoff, if using the standardserver=true ? (sorry, i'm still not allowed, to use the shortcut for standardserver...)
You said, that the serverpackages don't work, maybe that's not that bad, because who ever uses serverpacages uses custom-content, which mostly will make the server non-standard. By that way we might keep some guys, who really don't run a standardserver from using that option and making epic having a deeper look at what is going on here...

or we simply could take it off the ini, and if the 4.5 gets whitelisted nobody will wake a sleeping dog ;)

personally i guess, the size doesn't matter (as our wives allways told us :) ) and epic will whitelist it.

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
My mail to Epic regarding the above:
Hi Joe,

As we have not heard from you we have decided to do the following:

UT2Vote will in future be released as UT2VoteX as I could not make it
UT2Vote2 as you suggested because it wont allow numeric numbers at the end
of a Classname, so I made it UT2VoteX

The length after ripping the source is 530k and we cannot get it smaller
regardless of what we try, although 530k is a far cry from 1.2 megs.
It may even grow over time to 600k but we will try and restrict it wherever
possible as requests just never end.

Regards Ben
ProAsm - http://www.unreal.co.za/proasm

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
You said, that the serverpackages don't work, maybe that's not that bad, because who ever uses serverpacages uses custom-content, which mostly will make the server non-standard
No this must work as normal like before.
If an Admin decides to run a non SS Mutator that is his problem entirely and it not for us to make his decisions :)

frogger187

eat. sleep. frag.
May 2, 2003
could this coding trick be used to create a replacement for fm2? The old versions were quite simple and from what i've heard..a new version is NOT forthcoming anytime soon...as Epic has pretty well blocked that way of doing it.... Would this be possible? Or maybe to have ut2vote hide the other muts in some way?

Last edited:

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
No I dont think FM can do it anymore as Epic now look at 2 places and if they are not identical the Mutator fails - thats what happened to UT2Vote45.
Basically I took it for granted like in previous whitelists that once you whitelisted you can do what you like as what I did in the "ServerInformation" I sent UT2Vote45 like I used to so people could see what version is running, now it needs the UT2VoteX in both places (the second can be blank) and I cannot see a way out how FM can add names in at the first place, as the first place has to be identical to the current mut thats actually running.
Anyway I got another mail this morning from them with some tips on how to display a version so I will experiment with that now.

tuco[HaH]

InstaGib Player
Jul 2, 2004
Hamburg, Germany, Europe
hah-clan.org
If anybody very badly wants to fool the master server, here's how to do it:

You need your server running on a Linux box you have full control over, or you put a Linux router in front of it. *BSD might also work, but I only know how to do it on Linux (in theory):

Then, filter out all packets using iptables that would go to the masterserver and direct them to a custom userspace daemon that gets the packets using libipq, rewrites the interesting part of payload ("Mutator=BlaBlubs", either remove it or change it to a whitelisted one). Then reinject the packet so it gets sent to the masterserver.

A different technical approach would be to change /etc/hosts and change masterserver1.epicgames.com and the like to 127.0.0.1, then write a transparent proxy that fools EPIC. The first approach should be much easier, because then you don't have to handle and understand the answers and requests the masterserver sends to your UT server.

A plus is that you could fake other parameters like the version number of the server, too ;-)

It would be a fun thing to do, but I myself can't find the time now. If this Standard Server "issue" would be an "issue" for us, it would be different. But as an InstaGib clan, it isn't ;)

Last edited:

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
IIRC, this is a variation on a method that was used to strip authentication/master server kicks and allow pirates to play online. Epic wasn't pleased when they discovered the proxies.