1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT2Vote43

Discussion in 'Dev Team' started by PoW, Jul 17, 2004.

1. PoW

PoW New Member

Something strange which I think have to do with majority vote:

If 4 players are on the server and the vote menu comes up, 2 players vote for the same map, the map is switched immediately and the other 2 players have no chance to place another vote.

2. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

set the percentage higher, to maybe 60%

3. frogger187

frogger187 eat. sleep. frag.

if maps have been voted for...and i select a map form RH pane to vote for...it always picks the map top in list... if there are 4 maps that have been voted...if i want the 3rd map down i select it and vote.. it casts my vote for the first map in list...

also..had understood voted for maps were also going to appear in the New Maps menu..?

4. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Well you had 3 Beta's to test this and everyone gave it the green light ?
    A dicission was not reached here as it would look wierd if you cannot vote with them so I decided to leave that out.

5. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Players = 4
    TotalVoters * VotePercent / 100 + 0.5 = RequiredVotes

4 * 50% / 100 + 0.5 = 2.5 | Therefore = 2 Players
    4 * 60% / 100 + 0.5 = 2.9 | Therefore = 2 Players
    4 * 65% / 100 + 0.5 = 3.1 | Therefore = 3 Players
    4 * 80% / 100 + 0.5 = 3.7 | Therefore = 3 Players

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  6. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

hmm, this is imho a bit confusing...

the players on the right means the percentage on the left? so if there are 4 players, and the percentage is set to 60%, imho 2 players can't make a vote succeed, but they do... couldn't this one not be calculated as "real percentage" ? means if <voting players> * 100 / <total players> is bigger than <necessary percentage> then the vote succeds...

you'll have good reasons, why you do it the other way, maybe you could explain in shot words?

7. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

When it comes to objects like people one has to draw the line somewhere.
    You say if there are 4 Players and its 60% then 2 people cannot make the vote - Why ???
    So how many players must make a 60% vote.... 3 ??? - wrong as 3 Players is 75% and not 60%
    So again - how many players is 60% ???

2 Players is 50% and 3 Players is 75% - therefore 3.5 Players (halfway) should be 62.5% - thats where the + 0.5 comes in.

4 * 62.5% / 100 + 0.5 = 3.0 | Therefore = 3 Players is therefore 100% correct, but anything below 62.5% must be equal to 2 Players.

8. PoW

PoW New Member

I think I do not describe it correctly. This was only an example! Yesterday we were 9 players on the server. 2 players voted for different maps. This was shown in the tally display. I decided to vote for one of these two maps and made a doubleclick on the map in the tally display.
    Then ... the server switched immediately without any chance to see what the other 6 players had voted or if they voted generally.

I do not know what happened. I have VotePercent=51 (default). But this could not be a majority vote ... 2 of 9 players with the same map? Also ... the other players should have a chance to see what is voted for, or am I wrong? Is that not also the sense of the tally vote window to see what map a player has voted for?

9. PoW

PoW New Member

Another thing which I do not understand ... (it seems to be up to me :eek: )

In the Admin Options General menu there is a check box called "Enable Switch Random". The hint for this box is "Uses a random map if Switch Map enabled".

I cannot activate this check box. Also I do not find this "Switch Map enabled", in no menu and also not in the UT2Vote43.ini.

10. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Its times like this that are rare and when major problems are picked up.
    If something like this happens, please kill the server ASAP and save the Logfile with a description and email it to me (zipped) as every vote is recorded in the logfile.
    9 Players at 51% :
    9 * 51 / 100 + 0.5 = 5.09 | Therefore = 5 Players

Regarding the Random Map.
    Yes that is still giving the wrong message and thanks for picking that up.
    That is supposed to read:
    Enable Random Map
    Hint: Server switches to a Random map if vote fails.

The option can be found at:
    [UT2Vote43.UT2VoteConfigs]
    bUseRandomMap=True

Basically if that is set to False, then when a vote fails, the server will switch to the Game's Default Map.

11. PoW

PoW New Member

Yes, I thought that but it does not matter if it is set to true or false, in the admin option general menu I cannot activate this check box and therefore the entry in the UT2Vote43.ini is not changed, I only can change it in the .ini directly.

Regarding the voting prob: If the calculation is wrong or correct, I cannot say but presently the server switches immediately when I vote as second or third player for an already voted map. Nobody could see anything else in the tally window, so no chance to change, vote etc. That was different in the 42.

Ben, I have sent you the mail with my server log .

12. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Yes 42 was different in that it always waited for timeout unless all players had voted.

I had a look at your log you sent and found some very usefull stuff there.
    All votings were correct except for a miscalculation when there are an odd number of players.

At 51% it would give 4 votes out of 9 for a Majority which is wrong and should be 5.
    For an even number of players it gives it correct as 50% depending on how many players.
    Why its doing this I really dont know but in 44 I have incremented it if there are odd numbers and its above 50% so we can try that.

Regarding your Log, it passes it ok except like I say if there are an odd number of players it makes it one less like 4/9 which is wierd.

On several of the votes in your log the voting would Timeout and it would accept the most votes like 3/11 or 2/9 which is 100% correct for a Timeout situation.
    Other times it would switch on Majority-1 like 4/9 - 5/11 etc...

Maybe you may want to increase your VoteStepTime and VoteIdleTime as Timeout is being reached quickly when you have 9 or more players and it seems deceiving but according to the logs it is working correctly except like I say, it accepts a Majority-1 which is wierd and I will look into it again.

13. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

ok regarding the calculation, i understand the way you see it, and that's imho ok. It's just a bit confusing... Me, and everyone, i talked to, thought, the percentage is a minimum that must be reached, so if set to 60%, and 2 ppl vote, it's less than 60%, while 3ppl is more than 60%. With more players, it's nearly the same, no matter, which calculation is used, only with 4-6 players, it's confusing, but ok, as long, as it works ;)

14. frogger187

i guess we missed..just pointing it out as it is there.

15. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Can someone please try and figure this one out:
    http://www.unrealza.co.za/files/other/andrew.zip

Thanks ;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  16. Imaginos

Imaginos Deathball addict?

Looks like this guy didn't have a serverpackages line for UAdminModV095b.
    I'm emailing him at the admin addy I found in the server ini : ScrnNm12@comcast.net

Hopefully, he'll be happy. Text of email is here:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  17. frogger187

also of note..uadmin uses accesscontrol of its own...this may interfere with ut2vote's reserverslot stuff if enabled...i have reservered admin disabled and everything in uadmin works 100%

18. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Great stuff - thanks guys, can you mail him also with that info frogger.

Ta ;)

19. Imaginos

Imaginos Deathball addict?

Server.Ext's reserved slots messes with accesscontrol as well..

20. frogger187

done.