UT2Vote removed from whitelist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
no it's not, that's a stupid idea. The day you guys decide to do that I'll have 4 servers set up with 3 servers each and 32 player limits in a heartbeat.

UT2Vote doesn't need the BLOAT which is exactly what that stuff is.

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
No problem Lotus2, we were pushing our luck to way over the edge anyways.
I actually thought we would get bombed with the BrightSkins as that we really fight the 'Engine' but with the HitSounds... hell I would never have thought Epic would make such an issue out of them.
And as for the WeaponShaking... for crying out allowed, there is even a INI setting for that in the UT2004.ini

[Engine.GameInfo]
bWeaponShouldViewShake=True

And UberByte, dont worry too much, most that stuff will stay in. :)

Once we have been WhiteListed again, the next priority will be a UT2VoteLite :)

[ZT]Zoid

Sep 10, 2004
The biggest problem here is that Epic has chosen to enable the 'standard servers only' checkbox by default. Most players DON'T know about it. We run UT2Vote (Thanks a million ProAsm and the Dev team) and we've seen a significant dropoff in traffic since they disallowed servers running UT2Vote from showing up as 'standard'. And it's not the 56k'ers that we're losing (heh, didn't even know there were peeps trying to play this on 56k. . .:eek: ) - it's the regular players who probably don't know about the checkbox and haven't added it to the favs - :( Hopefully this will get resolved soon - UT2Vote is so much better than the default (and UTComp for that matter) and it's got so much more to it that I'd hate to see it not used in general just because of this.

[ZT]Zoid

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
Yeah I just cannot believe Epic would come with this 56k Modem story.
Hell even out here in darkest Africa, 80% of gamers use ADSL, 15% on ISDN and only about 5% on 56k Modems.
To get UT2Vote down to below 250 we will have to remove almost everything.
Looking at all out backups here I see one of the very early releases, UT2Vote14 was 447k

What amazes me most is when Epic Whitelisted UT2Vote41 in mid May this year it was then already 935k.
It had HitSounds, NoShaking, SkinBrights and everything that it has today, just today these items are better perfected.
Leaves my understanding stone cold :(

groovyjoker

Aug 23, 2004
Joe Wilcox" <email address edited out so he doesn't get spammed>
Subject: [ut2004mods] UT2Vote has been removed from the White List.

We have just removed UT2Vote from the official white list

Like, who gives a ****?

dschingis

Sep 16, 2004
maybe you should go another way and make ut2vote that public that it will be on most of the servers, and so epic would have to do something...

[HT]ÜberByte

Jul 31, 2004
ProAsm said:
Yeah I just cannot believe Epic would come with this 56k Modem story.
Hell even out here in darkest Africa, 80% of gamers use ADSL, 15% on ISDN and only about 5% on 56k Modems.
To get UT2Vote down to below 250 we will have to remove almost everything.
Looking at all out backups here I see one of the very early releases, UT2Vote14 was 447k

What amazes me most is when Epic Whitelisted UT2Vote41 in mid May this year it was then already 935k.
It had HitSounds, NoShaking, SkinBrights and everything that it has today, just today these items are better perfected.
Leaves my understanding stone cold :(

The 56k story is just trying to cover something up. Because that is bs. Custom maps are allowed on standard servers, and I have seen maps as big as 40mb. Better not mention that to DrSin, he'll probably blacklist that to.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Standard Servers aren't supposed to be running much if any custom content.

[HT]ÜberByte

Jul 31, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
Standard Servers aren't supposed to be running much if any custom content.
Much of any content that modifies the gameplay. And I just want to give a FU to all of you that are siding with epic on this matter.

groovyjoker

Aug 23, 2004
More Whitelisting

Heheh...All previous versions of AntiTCC now join you as being banned from the whitelist:

UnrealAdminPost

I support the conspiracy theory. Weren't there some management changes in Epic....something about them selling portions of the game rights to MidWay...not that MidWay could influence any of this in order to direct the path of future game development, but while we are talking about conspiracies. :eek:

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
An interesting update

This comes off the server admin listserv:

Steve Polge said:
The hitsounds/bright skins are the reasons why UT2Vote was removed.
We'd also like to see it be smaller, but those two features are what absolutely prevents it from being whitelisted.

- Steve