1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[UT2k4] Vehicles WIP's

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by Major-Lee-High, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Major-Lee-High

Major-Lee-High Im a ranter, ignore me!

Newest Pics

Texture WIP Need CRITS/Help!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Latest Jeep Pics, added side step since these, still right at about 3500tris.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

original post

Hey guys, been working on these models off and on for a few weeks now, trying to get them looking like they would fit in with ut2k4 vehicles.

Ive got a HELI based off a OH-6 like the little birds in BHD and a jeep. ATM the helis biggest problem (or atleast crits ive gotten on other boards) is that it looks to toyish.... I cant really tell, i dont really like the landing rails is my only problem (ive been thinking of making it hover, blades move constantly but slower when still and removing them).

So far ive called it the SMERC (small military equiped recon craft, or atleast thats what i made up after calling it smerk). The driver will fly it and control the gatlin guns for the main weapon, im aiming for making them antivehicle (shooting players out first, need to see how that works) and the rockets which will be mainly anti infantry. The passenger will control a bomb similar to the redemer that falls out the bottom and can be controlled, except with less damage, faster speed (and possible a burst or something with main fire mode) and a alt fire that detonates it. Heres latest pics of the smerc.

2499 tris in the pics, although i made a few changes to my current save, mainly taking the edges off the rocket launchers to round it off a bit.

Pics of Heli Removed for now!!

So, now im asking the ut2k4 players what they think now that ive been showing the modellers for a while. IMO the raptor and manta look kinda toyish so maybee it fits in after all hehe. With a texture it should look better, but point out any model parts that bother you.

yayayayay just a few more days till i get those lovely vtms that will take weeks to watch!!!!!!!!

Heres the jeep pics added now, I dont know if it will get guns like planned or just be transport, i think just having a 4 seat vehicle would be cool.

EDIT Jeep pics UPDATED 24th of march

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  2. BLUUDTH|RSTA

BLUUDTH|RSTA New Member

Wow, looks great so far, I love the idea of a two person Flying object.

Consider using UT2004 rockets for the Co Pilot position, to reduce chances for over balancing. Or other options, as I think balancing is the most important issue when introducing a item into a game.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    What about a flying vehicle where the Co-Pilot actually has a chair OUTSIDE the vehicle, on one side only? (a 1 sided passenger turret would add to the difficulty using it, hence balancing, and it would make it really interesting) Like a Heli with the gunner on the left or right side having a turret but actually sitting OUTSIDE. THis would enable a smaller or more SHLEEK looking heli. Ideas ideas. Ill try and draw one. You know what I mean?

3. BLUUDTH|RSTA

BLUUDTH|RSTA New Member

More ideas.

Why not make the both the pilots external, so there is no inclosing window, chop the whole front section off, so the two pilots are still in those seets but legs dangling so to speak. THis would give a MENACING look to the vehilce, to have two players chasing you down, with then ability to reach out and slap you.

THIS could allow the CO-pilot or both PILOTS to use weapons he/they already has, ie flak, mini, shock, goo, DEEMER, so there by needing to RELOAD. REALOAD is a good idea.

And consider having the vehicle with the LINK gun or a variant. THis would make it super UT2004ish. Even dual LINK guns would be sick! Imaging, a flying vehilce that could heal vehilces as well as deal death. So consider replacing the mini guns with the link guns.

I guess Im trying to come up with some ideas to help make the vehilces look less BF1942 or more Unrealish if ya know what I mean.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    OH NO...its happeneing again! My brain is working overtime with ideas. Perhaps I should endevour to make my own vehilce. I shouldnt burden you with all these ideas, one the dam of ideas is flowing, there is no stopping me. Is it easy to model?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2004
  4. Major-Lee-High

Well its pretty easy to model its just learning the program and learning all the tricks thats hard, gotta know what can be done and what shouldnt or cant too hehe. Im still a noob :p

Those are some good ideas :) A healing vehicle, flying or ground would be awsome. I dunno if ill change the heli up too much cause im getting tired of messing with it and want to start on a few other vehicles and finish the jeep (pics still comming of it). I had already thought about something similar to what the cobras had in GIJOE that had external seats too sorta, one of my friends posted some pics of a few helicopter toys from the series and i think im gonna make it next (cool apache looking thing that would fit in perfect), depending on how well these two go i may make a whole bunch lol.

For the passenger bomb, it wont be as strong as a redemer at all so it should be ok i just want it to be controlable, it will prolly be more like a goliath shell with a long reload time. I wasnt even going to add a gun for the passenger at first and just have it for a ride hehe.

The jeep needs alot of ideas for it, cause it looks like a jeep still (which isnt that bad but still :p). I think besides the landing part and a few tweaks the heli will be good with a texture and ingame working. Im really just making these to get in game asap to learn how, plus to hopefully advance my scripting skills past a few easy weapons muts :\

5. BLUUDTH|RSTA

BLUUDTH|RSTA New Member

Awsome.

Whilst I was in my lecture I was think about some other ideas. GOO COPTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like a crop duster, have the ability to dust people underneath with GOO!!!! Or drop a big GOO drop for a payload! Fwaaaaaaaaaar! Be awsome to take out nodes, have to hover over it and drop the goo.

6. Major-Lee-High

Goo tank :p

With alt fire :D

7. NATO_chrisjm

NATO_chrisjm Member

I think it shoud be much more block like, it does look a bit toyish, But it still looks really good !!!

8. Major-Lee-High

Yeah i know where you comming from, i started it out as a semi accurate to the real thing model then changed it up, next time i wont do that lol. I may do taht a bit, although i had some comments about it being blocky already (i assume they meant the tail and rockets lol).

The next heli i have planned to make (im lazy and dont finish things though sometimes ;)) is very blocky similar to teh commanche, but its a gijoe toy that looks like it would fit right in ut2k4 as is hehe :)

BTW, imo the second seat in the hellbender and the scorpoin main guns kinda suck and i was thinking about changing them when i first got the demo. A LinkGun on the scorpion instead of its main gun and a Goo Gun for the second hellbender seat would rule :) Maybee ill do that as a mutator :p

9. BLUUDTH|RSTA

BLUUDTH|RSTA New Member

Here check these out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  10. Sett

Sett New Member

Porkchop sandwichies!!!

GO JOE!
    YA that's the one!

Now someone make a Baroness model....mmmmmm.

11. Bang Yr Head

Bang Yr Head ( )

ya thats definitely a really nice one to do. make sure players can actually go into cargo area too, that would be totally badass!

12. Major-Lee-High

Thats the exact one im speaking of :) the red heli hehe. Depending on how well the heli flys it may be the next thing i start, not going to make it exactly like tht but its going to be the concept for it. I also have a pic of a range rover type thing i found while looking for the jeep pics that i may make too hehe. It all depends on how these two go and what i decide to do with em, make a mod or just make em for maps, or start/join a mod dunno still tossing so many ideas around :)

I want my 150 hours of vtms!!!!

13. _Dark_Rusty_

_Dark_Rusty_ to protect & severe

I came up with a concept idea for a tank that would make the leviathan look like ya mums volvo :) I call it the Mammoth tank, driver controls twin cannon turret with primary fire, secondary fire fires missiles that lock on to airborn targets, machine guns at front & back for a 2nd & 3rd player too control, & a link gun on top of turret for 4th player, & players couild hitch a ride on the guards of the tank treads. Or alternatively drivers primary fire fires twin cannons sequential for quicker rate of fire, secondary fires them at the same time for a more powerful sudden burst, while 4th player controls rockets & link turret, link would be only secondary type of fire.

14. _Dark_Rusty_

oh & anything even slightly resembling that red heli would be totally bad ass

15. BLUUDTH|RSTA

BLUUDTH|RSTA New Member

You guys must remember that if your going to add anything into the game and you wont it to be popular, practical and not overbearing, you must make it BALANCED!

DARK RUSTY, even though that tank sounds MULTI COOL!!!!! I hold grave fears for its application in UT2004. I would be unstoppable, unbalanced and totally overbearing within any map.

Even that RED GIJOE helicopter would be too overbearing, unless you use your imagination and bring it down to a balanced medium. If it had rockets and dual mini's and carry people, what would stop it? Unless the mini's could only aim from the direction of the Heli, or you rreplace them with Linkguns.

BALANCED is the most important aspect of anything you wish to introduce into the game, otherwise players will discard them.

Do you agree?

16. Major-Lee-High

Well, i think having super vehicles is perfectly fine as long as they dont respawn every 10 seconds and theres not one at every base. I plan on making any that i make alot stronger than the ones in the demo, at least against infantry weapons, other vehicles will take em out good.

I dont even play ons anymore, i stick to AS, just because of the fact that every vehicle is dead meat if your in close combat... Manta is hit and run, i dont even look at the raptor anymore, havent been in a scorpion for a while, i just get in a hellbender or goliath and go hide right outside of my targets fog distance and zoom in. Just one guy with a link gun can take either out with no problem if hes close, goliath turret moves too slow (although ill jump in secondary usually, but still sometimes it doesnt help) and the hellbender you really only get one or two full blasts with 3rd gun, a good combo from secondary will get em sometimes too (close range is teh ONLY use ive seen that used for).

IMO the vehciles should drive fear into the infantry instead of laughter. Strong armor and lotsa health, but then to balance it LONG respawn times to make healing them more iportant, as is i just assume die in it and go get it again than heal them.... Most likely the reason they didnt do that in the game and made em easy to kill is hijacking, i can just see the other team taking your hellbender and keeping it healed up so you never get it again lol. That should be part of the game though.... Makes hijacking more of a stratagy.

Anything airborne is going to be hellbender bait imo anyway :p i love taking out raptors in the 3rd seat gun. Plus if i make a few air vehicles ill most likely make a ground vehicles with anti air weapons (leviathon has those) and airborne vehicles with antivehicle weapons will be able to take ground targets out (and air ones too) pretty easy. Need some good dogfight vehciles, im hoping the main gatlin guns on the heli will be good for that.

17. {MåçE}

{MåçE} ma$e is back!!??

i agree with taking off the front window.. plus it would make the driver/passenger a little more vulnerable so that the person doesnt have to have AVRiL or something like that to take it down. they could maybe just shoot a few shock rounds into the cockpit :p

also, i think a boat vehicle would be sweet :p or possibly a big cargo airplane that could hold people and/or a vehicle in it.. i think that would be really sweet. make a hhuuuge map, but have these carrier airplanes that can carry raptors and stuff in it.. make it like a bunch of islands.. you can take boats from island to island.. helicopters from island to island.. or you can even transfer vehicles using the big air carriers :p just ideas.

that helicopter is sweet lookin though, GJ

18. _Dark_Rusty_

true, true. I thought this myself, I just have a wild imagination & a fixation with big things that can blow alot of **** up :) just an idea.

19. NATO_chrisjm

NATO_chrisjm Member

*me clicks fingers ....*

Anyone fancy making some Warhammer 40K tanks as a mod :p

20. Major-Lee-High

I never played that game :p

Boats would be cool, but there wouldnt be enough water in most maps. If the maps can be tons biger than in ut2k3 then it may be possible but i doubt it, well see. I made some boats for BF1942 (well a boat and a wave runner ;)) that i could finish and put in, but i decided not to at least yet, if anything ill make a hovercraft or a land vehicle that can ride on water.

I dunno about removing the window on this heli, i may try that out though. I was kinda going for the ut version of the oh-6 kinda like the hellbender is the ut hummer :p a ut blackhawk would rule too hehe.

Ill try to post jeep pics tonight too, i messed with it a bit but its still in need of work heh, need to make it a good tire model and lower its polys by about 2k lol, so i can add more stuff to it..