1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT2k4 - Timing the powerups

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by TyeFang, May 7, 2004.

?

What level of timing/use of a timer do you think is legit(multiple choices allowed)?

1. Only the 5 players playing are tracking the powerups, using ONLY the game clock...and no one on voic

25 vote(s)
    86.2%
  2. A teammate on voice is helping track the powerups (using a timer)

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. The players use a background timer application providing digital countdown, sounds, and is hot-key e

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. HUD overlay timer with hot-keys, digital countdowns, etc

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TyeFang

TyeFang Ambassador

(EDIT to the POLL::: Please disregard the "5" in the first selection)

Hey guys,

I have been in discussion with a few peeps about different ways of timing the pickups, including the seemingly prevelent use of timers by many clans in competition, and I wanted to get some feedback from you all on what you think is legit and what is not.

A timer is an external device or program that tracks when a powerup (like the 100 shield, health, double damage, etc) will spawn. You could use something as simple as a stopwatch to something as elaborate as a hot-key enabled program.

The question is...what is legit and what is not.

So, please look at the options in this poll and vote. Also, add you comments here as well.

EDIT::: Multiple choices are allowed in this poll, so if you think more than one option is acceptable, please select them :) :::EDIT

Thanks guys!

- Tye

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  2. pine

pine Official Photography Thread Appreciator

I can see using teammates to help you time, but imho anything other than the HUD timer is completely lame and my clan would never use it. The fact is that you can time just as well with the HUD timer as with any other method, so they other ones are for people who aren't willing to learn the skill of timing with the HUD.

Using external timers is just plain cheating.

3. TyeFang

TyeFang Ambassador

Oh, i meant to add another option...crap...do you think a stopwatch is acceptable?

just want to cover all the bases...

- Tye

4. Element

Element Clan .::Hard 2 Kill::.

Well the main problem is unless its a LAN you cannot and will never be able to tell if someone is or isnt using some sort of external timer. And yes I do believe that a lot of clans use timers in matches/scrims etc.

At what level is it cheating or NON-legit, I think each person will have a different opinion on that, me personally I think the clock in the game itself is enough but I guess some feel its necessary to use a stopwatch, website etc to assist them in timing because LORD help them if they miss a powerup in a match/scrim! :eek:

5. pine

pine Official Photography Thread Appreciator

You personally using a stopwatch is essentially the same thing as timing with the HUD so I don't see what the problem with that is. Besides, how could you do that and play at the same time? Seems like it'd be more of a disadvantage than anything.

6. TyeFang

TyeFang Ambassador

Agreed, just wanted to make sure that option was brought up...

Thanks,

- Tye

7. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I think using the in game match timer is the only thing that is appropriate and etiquetteical (???). Obviously people use other things, but I don't think it's smart to condone their use.

8. TyeFang

TyeFang Ambassador

wow, good point there. Still would like to know what people think is legit...

once you say YES to one thing, it can sort of snowball on ya...

For example: Let's say you vote "YES" to using a stopwatch..then that leads to "how about a software-based stopwatch?" to "how about a key activated stopwatch" etc etc.

OR

Let's say you vote YES to having a person on voice helping time things...that can lead to "can he use a software timer?" "can he use sound files that play back to everyone on voice?" etc etc.

So, it kinda starts this grey area where you aren't sure where to draw the line.

Right now, the easiest way is to say "you have to use the game clock...and only players playing can be timing" and then just hope everyone follows that code of sportsmanship and skill.

- Tye

9. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Right. I don't think the question is what should you be able to use, but what is appropriate and proper. It's like playing sports. There are things you can "do and get away with" and there is, just like you said, sportsmanship. IMO, using something the game doesn't provide you and not everyone feels completely conscionable doing is not using proper etiquette. Obviously though, there are a lot of people that play UT and any other game that have no sense of that whatsoever.

Note: there are exceptions, like how not everyone feels right using the redeemer, but that doesn't mean you don't use it. It all comes down to trying to make everyone's game experience (not just yours) enjoyable.

10. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Anything else is too much.

Players in the game using the standard match-clock. Nothing else.

11. Swedix

Swedix Retired from UT2004

I agree.

The best would be to randomize the spawn-time. It would make timers useless.

12. Ominous

Ominous Registered User

I think in ut1 external timers were much more popular since there wasn't a hud clock, but with ttm in 2k3 and now the clock standard in 2k4 most people just use the hudclock to time. Its pretty easy to call out the times to your teammates so you can track them. I voted for option 1 but the other options don't really bother me either.

13. Hanover_Fist

Hanover_Fist Hero

I don't think an external clock is a bad thing, in fact I wish the HUD clock was analog, it's easier to keep track of time elapsed/time left on an analog dial.

Wouldn't that kinda screw up the game play though?

Lets say there are three 'goodies'.

-100 Shield
    -Amp
    -Keg

I don't really know in terms of competitive 1 on 1's which of those is the most useful but wouldn't the game be reduced to constantly camping the most valuble?

14. Swedix

Swedix Retired from UT2004

Well, I don't know how it would work in 1on1, but it sure would work in CTF.
    Instead of an item respawn after 60 seconds, it could randomize a time between 50 - 70 seconds.
    I don't think it's good for the rest of the team if you are camping there for up to 20 seconds.

15. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

Doesn't matter to me. Go ahead and time them, I'll know where to find you.

16. Major-Lee-High

Major-Lee-High Im a ranter, ignore me!

It doesnt matter....

Unless you can see it being picked up each time your time will be off. Not to mention that using a external timer or the ingame one is almost teh exact same lol....

If they have some sort of hack that tells them when it spawns or if a player picks it up etc, sure, cheats, otherwise who cares.... If you notice its back on your time and get there and its gone, there is almost no way to tell the time it was taken.

17. I_B_Bangin

I_B_Bangin habitual line stepper

Well the way it works is when a player on voice sees a powerup taken (whether he took it or the enemy took it), he calls it out on voice and the timer records it. It won't be an exact science, since many powerups get taken by the opposing team without you seeing it, but for the most part it can be effective when you have 5 people monitoring a few powerups on each map. I have seen clans completely own the powerups against us, simply by popping up at the power up spots at the right moment, rather than camping.

I have never even worried about timing powerups until recently, when i started learning the times of each powerup. I have never been one to watch the clock, so it will be an adjustment to try and learn to do it, but some of the best players are amazing at timing, so it appears to be worth it.

18. Bonzo_Dog

Bonzo_Dog New Member

:) Just stick an alarm clock on top of monitorz :lol:

19. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

The only method of timing that is not accepable is one that interfaces with the game it's self. You pick up the shield and it starts timing by it's self without you having to push a key to start it. Anything else is perfectly legit. (at least that's according to ladder rules)

I must stress that there is NO way you can enforce it. I can time in my head if I have to, there's nothing you can do about it.

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  20. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

:tup: TWD.

That's the way I see it.
    Any method that is not fully automatic and/or embedded in the game is fine with me.
    Separate stopwatch/timer/clock software, actual (physical) stopwatches/timers/clocks, timing in your head, coordinating with teammates, etc. are all fine with me.