UT2k4 Onslaught

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pxtl

Lord of the Files
Jan 30, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
From the horse's mouth:

# ONSLAUGHT Onslaught is a large scale, team and vehicle based game mode in which players battle for control of huge exterior settings. Since these settings are so large one naturally needs a way to traverse these distances, hence there are a variety of vehicles that can be used in Onslaught. These vehicles are built to not only move but also destroy your foes.

Each team has their own vehicles and you cannot steal your foes vehicles unless they unlock them by first getting into them. If your enemy jumps into a tank and then leaps out to pick up ammo you can then hijack it and turn the tables on him!

The main objective in any Onslaught game is to destroy your enemies' "Power Core." This critical point is usually located in the heart of your opponent's base. Sounds simple, right? Here's the catch - a Power Core cannot be damaged unless your team has a link to it.

How do you acquire a link? By controlling the smaller "Power Nodes" on the map and making a connection from your own Power Core to your opponents. Power Nodes begin as neutral points in the level and once they're touched they begin to build for your team. At this point the opposing team can attack and try to destroy the Node as it is being constructed. If they manage to destroy it it will go neutral again and can be re-claimed by either team. If they fail to destroy it the Node will be built for your own team and a link will be made to your own Power Core.

The next step in an Onslaught map involves proceeding to the next Node. Since the enemies Power Core can only be damaged if there is a link to your own Core you'll have to take over a number of Nodes in order to make this connection. It is extremely important to note that you can ONLY take over a Node if you control an adjacent Node. You must progress across the map, taking over point by point, in order to stage an assault on your enemies' Core.

Since death comes quick in the Tournament it is also good to know that once your team controls a Node you can then choose to respawn at it. This allows a team to have an advancing presence on any given map.

----------------------------------------------------------

All I can say is wholly fscking sh1t. UT is becoming Tribes. That sounds hella cool. Hardcore clan action.

I hope they put vehicles in other gametypes.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I'm just thankful it's one game type, and I never have to play it. I hated Tribes, the comparison does not encourage me to try it.

Pxtl

Lord of the Files
Jan 30, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Well, I enjoyed NeoCairo CTF, and other vehicle-based mods, so I'm looking forward to this. It has all the appeal of the large-scale warefare aspects of tribes & friends, but none of the inappropriate class-based action that makes the game unplayable for pubs.