1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[UT2004]Weapon - hand animations importing problems -

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by CheekyDevil, Dec 23, 2004.

1. CheekyDevil

CheekyDevil Earth Assault Design Lead

For the mod I am working on all the 1st person weapons will be held by your hands (revolutionary concept, I know) and my current job is to figure out how to get all this working properly.
    Now, I have a couple of problems. First of all, I know that I can just import the hands as a part of the whole weapon model BUT since this is going to be a class-based mod, there will be 5 classes on each side, each with their own distinct hand models, and around 20 weapons total. So you can probably understand that I REALLY don't want to have to deal with 200 different weapon models to import and set up in Unreal. Thus, we have decided to have the weapon models separate from the hand models, and my coder will deal with getting the right ones to display, line up, etc.
    I've already got some weapons animated and in-game to test (without hands) and am trying to import some hands to try out. The way I am doing this is as follows (please tell me if I'm going about this all wrong):
    - I imported two ik rigged arm models (left and right :p) into the Maya scene with the already animated weapon.
    - I parented both arm's wrist handle to the root bone of the weapon, and aligned both hands to the model (so it looked like the hands were holding it).

When I play the animation in Maya, the arms look fine, as they bend appropriately, and the hands stay firmly wrapped around the grips.
    Now, just to see if this worked, I exported the whole setup as one .psk, and .psa file, and then opened up UEd and imported them. This is where I am baffled, because when it is imported into UEd, the weapon is animated fine, but the arms are bent off at a 90 degree angle from where they were in Maya. When I look at the bones, they are animating fine, it's just that the arm models are not attached to them.
    I have tried the same thing, with JUST the arm model but I get the same result.

Please, anyone familiar with animating in Maya lead me in the right direction here. I am usually a Lightwave person, but since you can only import animations to UEd from Maya or Max (I am using Maya because of the PLE) I am not sure if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

2. PigBear

PigBear New Member

Ya this is a common problem, even in MAX ( a program that came directly from GOD himself ) . It seems like if UnrealED treats bones in a diffrent way from Maya.

Try to create a dummybone ( called that in max ) like the bone_tip weapon. Algin it behind your weapon and hand model and link both hands to it and then link weapon to right hand, thats how I have it working in EB.