UT2004 to Return to CAL

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
The Cyberathlete Amateur League (CAL) is planning on bringing UT2004 back to its ladders.
The Cyberathlete Amateur League (CAL) announced today that it intends to open up a series of new divisions this year start with two new games and the return of an old favorite. Making appearances soon will be: Lord of the Rings - Battle for Middle Earth, Starcraft and returning to the league will be Unreal Tournament 2004.
You can read more at CALs website .

Thanks to CyMek for providing us with this news tip.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Pfft... I guess Painkiller wasn't good enough for them? Or was that one of the other pro leagues?

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I remember spending like three hours triyng to get my avatar to fit in those stupid profiles. I wonder if I'm still in thier database. :D

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
TraCK said:
amature league gaming. WTF is this like AAA Baseball?

It's called amature because they run the CPL, the professional lkeague, as well. SO unless you can take down CombataCarly or fatality or Lauke or anyone of that caliber, I suggest you start with the amature league first. CAL runs all of the well regarded ladders in a number of games, like q4, Cs, css, hl2dm, painkiller, and a few others.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
TAM will probably get a EuroCup this season by the looks of things.

It's a little like ClanBase in Europe. For the big games, each season has an OpenCup, which is for everyone, and a EuroCup, which is the for uber-teams. Having said that, the top divisions of OpenCups have a pretty lethal level of competition :D

TraCK

Amateur Sketch
Apr 14, 2005
Kansas City
So if your as good as combat carl they just won't let you in? What do they say? F U ur too good u no play wit us yo. It doesnt make much sense to me.

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
TraCK said:
So if your as good as combat carl they just won't let you in? What do they say? F U ur too good u no play wit us yo. It doesnt make much sense to me.
it does to me

It's for new players that want to get into competitive scene without competing against people that are rankied 10th in teh world and etc.

This also would encourage more clans to sign up, if they knew they didn't have to compete against teh highest ranked.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
So how would one get from 'amateur' to 'pro' ?
What makes *them* decide that you're not 'good enough' to be in the 'pro'-league ?

In other words : what use is it to sign up for 'amateur' if there's no chance in hell you can get to 'pro' even if you want to ?

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Simple, really.

Most "pro" tournamanets you get via invitaion (which is pretty much automatic if you're at the very top of the game), or by qualifiers (so you have to be the best to get there). There's nothing stopping anyone from being at the top. They just have to be good enough to get there.

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Yeah amatuers are usually overthinking things, or just don't have the sharpness to get to the level pros do, and pros know that they only need a little bit of trainging to maintain their sharpness.

Pong is something else though, because you need to lots of muscle repetition and etc.

Most amatuers in games probably couldn't get better if they practiced 12 hours a day, because they have mental barriers or bad technique they ignore.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
or perhaps most amateurs are 'only' amateurs, because they know there's more to life than playing a ff-ing game with zero chance of earning a living doing it ... (heck even that Fatality-dude only manages to make a living, because he can sell his name for money)