UT2004 Models for UT99

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

flashn00b

Bored.
Apr 6, 2006
Is it possible to convert UT2004 models to the format UT99 uses? If so, are there any converted models released?

Master Roshi

Troll
Jul 19, 2003
P.A. United states
I don't think so. Even if it was possible they would be too big. That's if the game gould even use them. those models have more poly's in them than ut99 models do. It just might be too much for the older game engine to handle and might crash your game if you tried to use them.

flashn00b

Bored.
Apr 6, 2006
Someone managed to convert malcom to a UT2004 model, but does not wish to post it onto skin city

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I've got a couple cases of UT2004->UT99 Models, but they all were polyshaven and of course, skins redone (As UT99 can only hand 256x256, 256 color, PCX-format textures.)

For the record, the default models are about 500 Polys, the ones in Bonus Pack 4 are about 750. A UT2004 Model is anywhere from 2000-3000.

BioBlizzard

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE !
Apr 24, 2006
flashn00b said:
Is it possible to convert UT2004 models to the format UT99 uses? If so, are there any converted models released?

well i dont think its possible ........... and i havent seen any cases so far...

FXD|Shadow

Mad Man, really
Dark Pulse said:
I've got a couple cases of UT2004->UT99 Models, but they all were polyshaven and of course, skins redone (As UT99 can only hand 256x256, 256 color, PCX-format textures.)

For the record, the default models are about 500 Polys, the ones in Bonus Pack 4 are about 750. A UT2004 Model is anywhere from 2000-3000.
ut99 can not only handle up to a max. of 256x256 pixels, think of s3tc, so it's possible to go up to 4096x4096 lol, I'm often surprised that so less people know about the enhanced ogl/d3d render that is available around..
ut99 can also handle models around 2000 polys, as along as it is not in mass-copy ut99 will do that

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
FXD|Shadow said:
ut99 can not only handle up to a max. of 256x256 pixels, think of s3tc, so it's possible to go up to 4096x4096 lol, I'm often surprised that so less people know about the enhanced ogl/d3d render that is available around..
ut99 can also handle models around 2000 polys, as along as it is not in mass-copy ut99 will do that
Yes, but the Engine isn't built for it. Bring in 12 of those models in-view and you'll bog the game down - not the best thing to do in a firefight. And not everyone has cards that can handle the advanced OpenGL Renderers, whereas everyone can handle the 256x256x256 specs.

As for getting screenshots, I will, as soon as I can remember how to lock the camera after going into 3rd person view...

War_Master

May 27, 2005
lol, so thats why hes not releasing it!

since UT2k4 models are smaller once imported into UT99 they will look like Midgets lol. I mean the model looks great and all now all it needs is to re-import it again and increase the size value of the mesh and will give him the best looking model for UT99 and ready to be released :). Maybe with a voice pack too?

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... i still believe a UT2204 > UT models (player or *weapons*) should obviously be remade. Its nonsense to try a direct port of those, because of what has been said: too many polys, scale, etc... The point IMO, is if someone is willing to "convert" those to UT, meaning make similar (not direct port) of UT2004 weapons, that work right in all aspects, with UT. Thats it...

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Nahand said:
... i still believe a UT2204 > UT models (player or *weapons*) should obviously be remade. Its nonsense to try a direct port of those, because of what has been said: too many polys, scale, etc... The point IMO, is if someone is willing to "convert" those to UT, meaning make similar (not direct port) of UT2004 weapons, that work right in all aspects, with UT. Thats it...

You mean like this port of the UT2004 Sniper rifle and ammo here?

sniper.jpg

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... i'm not familiar with that. Link? In anyway, if it is a proper working remake of the UT2004 weapon, then yes, that is what i mean (for all UT2004/Unreal 2 weapons PLZ :D )...

... convertions from UT to UT2004 are possible, and done already i think. The good stuff would be some skilled modder to bring UT2004 and U2 weapons into UT (for those of us that only have UT :p ). PLZ? :D ...

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Only have the Sniper rifle at the moment as far UT2004 weapons to UT go, but if you want it here it is.

http://www.brdempsey69.com/usmcsniper.zip

The download is about 600KB so it is dial-up friendly. Just unzip the 2 files into your UnrealTournament\System directory and then select USMC Sniper Rifle from your mutators list. You must have Bonus pack 4 installed.

Flaws:
The muzzle flash in 3rd person view doesn't come right from the tip of the barrell, it comes from just slightly in front of it and in player view it's slightly off center, but it's hard to notice unless you are really looking for it.

Player view animations could be a little bit better, they are a little bit jerky.

Bots exhibit jumpy behavior at Defense Points when using it if bSniping is set to true.

Other than that I don't know of any other glitches. The rifle holds 15 rounds upon pickup and will hold a maximum of 75 rounds and the scope works just fine.

Thanatos

Oct 21, 2005
Napali Meditation Room
War_Master said:
lol, so thats why hes not releasing it!

since UT2k4 models are smaller once imported into UT99 they will look like Midgets lol. I mean the model looks great and all now all it needs is to re-import it again and increase the size value of the mesh and will give him the best looking model for UT99 and ready to be released :). Maybe with a voice pack too?

He is actually the same size as XanMk2, its just that screenshot that makes him look small, he is rigged to a skeletal rig like the bonus pack 4 models(So you would need Bonus pack 4 to play,) I had to lower the texture detail because UT99 only allows 256 Colours, that and the rendering of the model causes it to look rubbish.