1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE2 - UT2kX [UT2004] Looking for co-programmer for Conquest-based gametype

Discussion in 'Recruitment' started by WaveHack, Jan 6, 2011.

1. WaveHack

WaveHack New Member

Summary
    I am creating a new gametype for UT2004 called 'Conquest' and I'm looking for a co-programmer to help me out with both advice and coding. The project is relatively simple, although I'd like someone who can support me with it, as I think this project has great potential in the terms of 'fun'. :) This is a non-paid position.

The project
    Conquest is a team-based gametype where teams must capture and hold control points (called 'nodes') on the map. A rough description would be 'double domination meets onslaught without vehicles'.

Nodes are identified by a flag and descriptive decoration/scene around it, and are captured by spending an amount of time near the node with your team (or alone). The enemy team can hinder your node capture by also being in capture range and (probably) engaging your team. The amount of time to capture a node depends on the amount of team members and enemy team members near the node.

A typical Conquest map would hold three to five nodes, depending on the preferred amount of players on the map (although anything ranging from 1 to (insert number) is possible). Conquest comes with it's own map type (CQ-Mapname) and support for "converting" existing maps (using preconfigured node locations using .int files) can relatively easily be added in the future.

Current progress
    A basic layout of (pseudo)code along with a more detailed description (including a few sketches, etc) are present in a design document. No playable functionality exists yet, other than a few base classes/objects.

What I'm looking for
    Because my UnrealScript knowledge is limited, I'm looking for someone who can help me out with the project. As said in the summary, someone who not only can help me out with some coding but also with advice with the code (regarding performance, network synchronisation, ideas for optimization and the like). Subversion (SVN) experience would also be nice, but not needed.

If you're interested and have UnrealScript experience, please drop me a message (with possibly your experience or a bit of your work) through this topic, PM, or a mail at ('beyondunreal' at 'wavehack' dot 'net'). Since this is a relatively easy project, I'm not realistically expecting someone exceptionally skilled (although it would be nice), but some experience with said topics would be nice.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012