1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ut2003 models

Discussion in 'General and Off Topic' started by Curve[UK], Sep 27, 2003.

1. Curve[UK]

Curve[UK] Twist Your Perception

Anyone else as unimpressed by the models as i am, its realy the way they feel i just cant be arsed to skin them. Might have something to do with the fact that i cant stand ut2003 either lol :(

2. Ðîk KÑÎght

Ðîk KÑÎght UT Level Designer

the models for 2k3 were not all that good, so ya I'm unimpressed as well

3. JackReacher

JackReacher [SAS Mod]

I disagree, they arent great, and they arent that original, but they arent bad either.

4. RJGexplode

RJGexplode Renegade of Funk

can't say as i don't have UT2k3 (shows how impressed overall i was :tdown: ) but from what i've seen of the the models they do seem rather bland

5. Kirin[SC]

Kirin[SC] 恐いハチミツボイ

The first time around, it was a bit complicated to work around the models but eventually I learned to improvise. It was similiar to skinning a Quake3 model to be honest with you. You just have to play around with what's on the model when you start skinning it.

6. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

I think the default models are pretty good.

The only 'problem' is that skinning them can't be as easy as it was for UT, because you're kind of forced to follow the outlines & details of the model if it has to look good.

/me thinks that 'pure skins' (like we used to have for UT & older games) are a thing of the past for games like UT'03 and beyond, because of the 'high'-poly models being used in games.
    It's going to be model & skin if you want to do something really original.

7. JohnnySix

JohnnySix Caffienated Haemoglobin

I won't be able to do my Xan skins on the new Xan model, and I don't have the game, but the models are pretty kick ass.

If they included the ability to mask out certain skin aspects, like for example, Xans fins, on all the models, that'd make it a little easier on the hobbyist skinner to get creative.

A skinner can do the best skin interpretation on a model ever, but still people will see past it and whatever it's reskinned as, people will still recognise the poly shape as what it was originally. For example, the thigh pads on the male soldier, the back pack on the male commando or other less obvious details.

No amount of creative skinning can removed the head-set microphone on most of the UT models for example . :)

Here's looking at UT2004 to make offer a few more opportunities for custom skinning. :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2003
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher [SAS Mod]

Or maybe about time you learnt to model? :D

9. JohnnySix

10. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

You can use masks to remove bits and pieces of some models already.
    The 'gasmask'-like thing that one of the male mercs is wearing is one such example. And I think the hair on the female mercs can be modified a bit with such alpha-masks as well.

It does require support by the model if is to be effective and easy though, but at least it's not impossible.

11. Kirin[SC]

Kirin[SC] 恐いハチミツボイ

But Sabbie ... you can mask out stuff on models. Except the more reliable function in Ued is called "bAlphaTexture" ... they use Alpha Channels now for transparency instead of some masking colour in a colour pallette.

TeH bAlfaTexcha = Teh True :D

Attached Files:

12. JohnnySix

Cool, maybe one day I'll get enough money to upgrade and actually run the game. :) - Or at least Upaint

13. Curve[UK]

Curve[UK] Twist Your Perception

Now im intrigued, i wanna do some massive eyeball thing thing could be handy.

14. Maxx

Maxx Bite Me

*hardcorebump*

:lol:

15. Turret 49

Turret 49 Doomer at heart

Was it that tempting? :)

16. daloonie

daloonie sex boobs nude

Now just tell me, what freaking fart art thou doing!? 2 years...

17. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

:/

Now that is a cruel "joke"

18. Sahkolihaa

Sahkolihaa Ow...

Some times the way you talk confuses me :hmm: