Ut2003 Content with runtime

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Atropine

Oct 16, 2003
I was wondering if we can use static meshes or textures from ut2003 with the runtime. of course for non-commercial use. ;)

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Static Meshes and Sounds crash the editor totally, but textures and animations both work (meaning the packages of course). *Cough cough* Ahem, not that I've been trying anything like that......

// walks away whistling innocently.........

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
Both the UT2003 and Runtime EULAs forbid such things. Plus, it's copyright infringment and blatantly illegal. If you want to make a mod that uses UT2003 game code or content, use UT2003.

Last edited:

nfactorial

Oct 17, 2003
FWIW UT2k3 content works fine with the UE2Runtime. So you can download models that aren't a part of UT2k3. ie. models from polycount.

I have nice newly written 3rd person controller I wrote and use a polycount model to run-around with. Although it seems the map provided with the runtime is of a different scale than UT2k3, as my uber-marine looks amusing as a midget :)

Note, if you release something with a polycount model, give credit and at try to contact the author for permission.

n!

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
One last time. Using art, models, meshes, anything that you do not own or have the rights to is not only against the Runtime EULA, it is copyright infringement and illegal.

To "give credit and at try to contact the author for permission" is not enough. You must actually have the author's permission to use their work in this manner. Simply because something is available on the Internet does not mean copyright law does not apply.

nfactorial

Oct 17, 2003
That depends on the author of the original work, if it says 'use this for any non-commercial work but give credit' then you can use it, I meant still try and contact them.

Obviously, if the model\texture\whatever doesn't say the above (or similar) then you need permission or new artwork.

n!

MeanFish

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Ok, I'm just curious...you said that ut2k3 content works. Does this mean that there is a way to use the Maya PLE exporter tool for my own original content for U2R? I'm very new at modelling, kind of at a crossroads in that respect.

baptistas

Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
Maya PLE works with UT2003 unrealed but not UE2R unrealed

El_Muerte_[TDS] said:
the unEditor.MII just pipes the data to unrealed, if you set the Unreal base dir to the UE2R system dir it will use the unrealed of the UE2R.

I tried to "pipe" the unEditor.MII to the UE2R editor and Maya says it cannot do what I'm asking for. It works on my computer with the UT2003 editor.

Does "pipe" mean making the change to the environmental variables path?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also if I were to get the static mesh package working in the UT2003 editor would I be able to open it in the UE2R editor?

brethomp

Jun 9, 2004
Has anyone found a good source for royalty-free static meshes that can be used with Unreal Runtime?