1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT Won't Run

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jlamb_vo, Oct 30, 2005.

1. jlamb_vo

jlamb_vo {GD}Spunky{Pfc}

Arghh... took forever to dig up my Beyond Unreal account info. Forgot it was using an email address I haven't touched for 3 or 4 years :)

So I had this irrestistable itch to play some Infiltration again since nothing else really does it for me after all this time. I go through the arduous process of re-installing UT, all the patches, Infiltraiton, map packs, etc etc etc... open it up, the screen flips to black, and then... my desktop.

I launch normal UT and the same thing happens.

It seems to launch in safe mode, and generally with only "no sound" enabled in safe-mode options, but it none of my input devices work after actually loading a map and it eventually freezes after some odd display problems (many of the meshes will not draw, sometimes my gun is visible and sometimes not).

I reinstalled UT and tried to run it at each step of the process, i.e. without the 436 patch, then with it, then with Infiltration installed, etc.

I've heard some comments that there are issues with UT and the Athlon64. Is there a simple incompatiblility issue here, or possible fix? I just want to shoot the Infiltration guns again damnit!

System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe
    Athlon64 3200+ (Winchester core, running at 2.5GHz)
    1GB dual-channel memory (running at DDR500)
    Geforce 6800GT PCI-Express
    Audigy 2ZS

DirectX 9.0c
    78.05 GeForce drivers
    current Creative Labs drivers, don't remember version offhand

2. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Welcome back :).

First, don't overclock. UT is pretty sensitive to it, and besides it will hardly push an A64 3200 very much.

Next, there is an issue if you have any kind of power savings enabled, since UT can't handle the change in clock speed. There's a thread around here somewhere about it...

3. ExBeginner

ExBeginner New Member

This is a common issue, with the most newer CPU's with HT , Quite & Cool or Dual-Core.
    Mainly the good old UT Engine doesnt feel pleased with dynamic switching of clock rates or if the UT process is transfered from one (virtual) core to the next availble core.

First of all,

Do not use the N.O.S or other dynamic overclocking features (of ASUS).

Second,

Add -CPUSPEED=XXXX to your Infiltration link command line

Third before you start Infiltration make sure your power mode is set to "Desktop"

For hardcore gamer (actually only for myself) I wrote a tool which automatically changes power modes depending on which processes are running on the system.

It is more an admin tool but shall NOT be used by noobs ;-)
    It allows you define service and process black lists which will be automatically terminated as well services to be stopped & restarted under certain conditions.

HT/Dual core users will prevent the famos stuttering gameplay on AMD dual cores since the tool binds automatically the game thread to one CPU and so prevents context & core switching at the worst moment.

For that what you need, the simple mode is sufficiant.

Hardcore gamers & freaks like me may use the admin mode at there own risk :lol: .

One more thing before you start downloading.
    Originally I wrote this tool only for myself so the power modes are in German.
    Go to the processes.cfg (in your install directory) after you entered a process to be monitored and you will find something like :

---------------------------------------

Infiltration
    UT2004
    BF2
    notepad
    3DMark05
    blackListedProcess=wordpad
    blackListedService=mysql
    defaultPowerOnMode=Desktop
    defaultPowerSafeMode=Tragbar/Laptop

-----------------------------------------

Change the last two lines to whatever is valid for your language !

Here are the two prerequisites.

1) Windows XP should be installed
    2) Microsoft .Net FrameWork 1.1 (see MS update page) must be installed

You can download this tool (name is "ProcessWatch").

For those who dont know what to click at, type into your browser : http://www.smartconsultant.de/inf/Setup.zip

Since I have no time to work on the tool or to provide extensive support I which you a lot of fun with it but realize I wont have too much time to invest.

However suggestions for improvements are welcome.

PS.: That tool is not only made for INF.

Take care & have fun,

ExBeginner

4. jlamb_vo

jlamb_vo {GD}Spunky{Pfc}

Thanks for the welcome, Crowze :)

I'll try some of these as soon as I get home tonight. Thanks for the help, hopefully I'll catch you online soon!