1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT Nightmare

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by AndyK, Jan 13, 2001.

1. You-Suk|BuF

You-Suk|BuF Getting ready

#$%!~^$#^%@&@%

well i'm back, now i'm having the problem AGAIN !!!!!!!
    it just started after i reinstalled Windoos and UT (of course)
    sudden crashes, with the sound hanging around
    only action is: reset !!! :mad:

i just disabled the sound emulator, hoping this will work

specs:
    -Windows 98SE
    -3com nic 100mbit
    -Soundblaster live (1024)
    -cel566@850 (temp is fine) -> golden orb cooler
    -512mb 133mhz (no name)
    -Leadtek GTS II 64 mb (temp is fine ) -> detonator 10.80
    -ABIT BH-6 (yep,i know it's old) -> SS bios
    -WD 9.1 (7200 rpm)
    -IBM 40 (7200 rpm)
    -Patch 4.36
    -Directx 8.0a
    -Ut cache 50
    -Resolution 1024-768 (32 bits) everything set high

BTW. cover is open and there are no irq problems

i'm getting sick and tired of this :mad:

2. DD

DD Goober

I really wish I had read this thread before I bought my AMD 1.3 Ghz with K7VZA mobo and VIA KT 133 chip set. I have been monkeying around with this thing for last week trying to get UT to not freeze. The amount of money I saved from buying a P4 does not really make up for the grief I endured trying to get this to work.

So far I have:

-Upgraded to 4in1 4.32

-bought a new sound card after trying all types of fixes to get the SB Live to work

-tried irq, voltage changes

-patched to direct X 8a

NOthing has worked.

I am not going to reformat :mad:

I am probably going to have to go Pentium 4 and return my AMD and Mobo :(

3. You-Suk|BuF

don't be too fast, i have the problem with a P III :(

4. alchemist_o

alchemist_o New Member

Long Post + 1

Lots of stuff and probably more than one issue with throughout this post.

Be sure everyone put in the latests drivers for there V-card, S-card, Mobo along with any BIOS upgrades, especially for the MOBO. Be careful on these upgrades.

Another thing to consider is some background programs that may be egaging when online with UT. I have turned of WEBTV and several other WinME accessory applications which fixed my problem of crashing after 10 minutes or so online.

I have a A7V Appolo Via 133 with a Athlon TB-1 Ghz, a GeForce II Ultra and D-Link and LyncSys Ethernet cards on a Cable modem.

1. Disengaging these WinME accessory programs help the online lockups with nearly everything.
    2. Upgrading my Mobo BIOS and Drivers helped my other lockups online after 10 or so minutes, usually on a browser page with a lot of flash.

After making these changes My system is running great with everything running fine. Another warning regarding tweaks, make sure you have not made the wrong tweak. Especially stay away from old tweaks, that is teaks that were really ment for older machines.

My two cents.

5. DeaJae

DeaJae taking a month's break

some1s actaully worked with via to fix this the addy on on the boards somewhere...
    but on a p3 system?
    id make sure your liveware is installed correctly.

6. You-Suk|BuF

yep i know it's weird
    just did a full UT reinstall last night, no crashes yet :)
    hope i've seen the last of this

had another prob though, my setup prog refused to work
    had to copy the entire UT cd to disk

7. OshadowO

OshadowO Irregular

For thos of you running a via based motherboard it a via chipset problem(don't we love em)
    install the following at your own risk. It is unsupported. (read the read me on the site for more info)
    In my experiecne the only issues I've had is sometimes windows takes a while before it loads up...so there is a boot delay but PCs been stable and most important of all I have not had the crash problem since installing this patch.
    686B Bug Patch v.14 is the patch you want under georges patches. The URL is http://www.viahardware.com/download/viatweak.shtm
    I hope it works out for you guys.

8. DD

DD Goober

FINALLY!

well it looks like I have solved my problems. I have not had a crash in 3 days!

Having read throught the VIA hardware forums and trying out almost every suggestion I finally seemed to have solved the problem.

Go into BIOS and disable the ACPI function. ACPI enables the PC to turn its peripherals on/off for improved power management. I got this suggestion from an exclanmate who had the same problem. I hope this helps somebody else :)

9. 68minimag

68minimag funicular goat

to the french guy with input hangs(keys ,mouse)

i had the same problem with my p2 266, 64 megs, voodoo2(killer rig 4 years ago). the ps2 bus requires some processor bandwidth and will just quit when the processor is getting taxed to its limits. this happens on older mobos with less robust ps2 bus. using serial or usb keyboard and mouse will help. the only way i could shutdown without soft reboot was to put in the cd causing the autodetect to try to install the game, cancel, which booted me to the desktop and i would shutdown/restart with my serial trackball.

10. Kray

Kray Time chaser

Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

My system is fairly stable now, and I don't want to start tweaking and wrestling with it again unless I absolutely have to.

11. Sir_Gnade!

Sir_Gnade! And I speak as an expert on explosives..

Memory?

I have the same setup as you +-, also had that...Are you using 512MB memory with Windows 98 SE? Take some memory out or upgrade to Win2k... me thinks.

12. DD

DD Goober

Well if you have a stable system I would not tweka anything. The #1 rule of pc use :D

Well it has been quite sometime now and I have not ever had a crash in UT since so yes it does work. This was a UT specific problem so if you are not having it don't change it. If you are having it you can always try it and if it doesn't work change it back to the original setting.

13. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Well if you guys got it fixed then I must say congrats, cause I have 3 systems, and 2 of the 3 UT crashes on with this same error (http://clansfx.com/download/pics/ut_error.jpg):

1st System - 1.2 Athlon with 256 DDR and sound built into MB FIA AD11 MB (I Removed SB Live Plat) Win XP - UT Crashed all the time

2nd System - P IV 1.8 512 RDRAM SB Live Plat Win XP Intell MB - UT Crash all the time

3rd System - P III 700 256 SDRAM SB Live Digital Intell MB Win XP, This does NOT Crash ever.

Here is my Error Code, and I have been fighting this problem for over 4 months now :(....Still no luck, anyone have any Ideas? What does this error mean? BTW, I know it says something about Coret, but today it has crashed on me atleast 8 times, and I haven't played Corret, in days , lol...

http://clansfx.com/download/pics/ut_error.jpg

Thanks Again

14. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

sfxwe,
    not knowing much about error messages, looks like you have a texture problem in Coret. I would think what ever file(s) holds this map and the textures should be reinstalled or just copied from the UT CD.

15. Stillborn

Stillborn PHEAR IS JUST ANOTHER 4 LETTER WORD...

I'm still experiencing these freezes in UT :( Game locks up and I hear a looping sound ---> Cold reboot...

Specs...

AMD Athlon 1.33Ghz + Dragon Orb 3 cooler
    SB Live 5.1 digital (newest drivers)
    ECS KV7ZA MoBo (latest bios and VIA drivers 4.37)
    Voodoo5 5500 (3dfx w9x 1.04.01beta)
    768MB 133 Kingston
    George's Latency Patch installed (v 0.19)
    Win98se (going to upgrade to winXP within a week)

A funny thing is that this seems(!) to be server related... I can play forever on some servers and on others I can crash 4 times in 20 minutes... :( And it's always the same ones...