1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT Nightmare

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by AndyK, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Dr Cropper

Dr Cropper Plan, Do, Study, Act.

No Not that either,

Any Ideas.

Considering a new MoBo!

What Bios settings could I tweak ?

1.1 T'Bird (Not OC'd)
    Abit KT7A-Raid
    IBM Deskstar (45-Gig)
    5.1 Soundblaster Live! PCI Slot 3.
    Elsa Gladiac Geforce 2 GTS (32) DA Driving Value
    Via (4.29)
    Intelimouse Explorer P/s 2
    1 stick of 128 Crucial at Turbo.

2. Kray

Kray Time chaser

Dr. Cropper, how often do you have lockups now? It may be that the effectiveness of Via drivers are system dependent. 4.29's are rock solid on some system, yet unstable in mine. So, you might want to try each of the 4-in-1 as a last resort before getting the new mobo.

For my system, I use the 4.25 with the AGP driver set to standard mode during the installation (default is turbo) . I still get the occasional lockups, but most of the time I can get 1-2 hours of online play without any lockups. Hope this helps.

3. Dr Cropper

U Got Point Kray

Now U mention it, I have had more lock-ups with the 4.29 but then again is it just random?

I'mm gunna try out "Cacheman".

I Do not reckon it will make any difference, but what the hell.

Surely some one within the UT Community can speak to some "Experts" out there. I have seen this Forum Post far too often.
    I Have only come across 2 "fixes" (Both changed MoBo's)

- is it a 436 Issue?
    - Or Via/Athlon specific

What do you think Kray,

Dr Cropper / [DEA]Nemesis :)

4. Hannibal_L

Hannibal_L New Member

I am sure that EPIC are aware of the problem whether or not they willl do anything about it is another thing. Its a ridiculous situation when a game that has been out for as long as UT still has issues.
    As good as UT is I will not even entertain the prospect of buying a new motherboard to get one game working.

5. OshadowO

OshadowO Irregular

I'm not sure if anybody else has tried this yet but I've been running UT in software mode due to the same problem for about 3 months now. My first crash was today and I don't think it was the same old problem cos my system has been acting up lately.
    It's not the best way to play but an option if you're desperate enuff.
    Specs follow
    A bit Kt7a(surprise surprise)
    Athy 750Mhz
    128MB PC100 SDRAM
    Diamond Monster Sound MX300 (vortex 2.0 drivers)
    Voodoo 4500 AGP
    Zoom 56K dualmodem.

6. Dr Cropper

Abit KT7A-Raid

Just seen a post about MoBo's.

Guess what I Found out.

The Abit KT7A-Raid & Abit KT7-Raid motherboards have been REMOVED from AMD's Official "recommended motherboard list".

Check 4 yourself if ya do not believe me.

That Suck's :(

7. OshadowO

OshadowO Irregular

Kt7's still there for my processor speed, tho no Kt 7a. In anycase I think the problem is with the via chipset.
    BTW anyone tried this?
    What's your UT cache size set as?
    Mine was 96/128MB ram, I reduced it ti 16MB and played UT with graphics turned back up. Ran fine and did not freeze for two sessions. Don't know if this was a fluke but would be interested in hearing other peoples takes on this.

8. Dr Cropper

Gotcha Shadow, will look @

Using Cacheman in 3D preset mode at the moment, will check out the UT setting !

Updated the Bios for MoBo and Elsa Gladiac card, No change:(

Yep, not long B 4 I flog this PC to my Bro (he wants a cheap netsurfer and spread sheet / letters Desktop PC)

and get a nice new P4.

Asif LOL
    A new MoBo P'Raps

9. Hand

Hand New Member

Still no fix for the keyboard/mouse lockup problem?

10. DeaJae

DeaJae taking a month's break

your right. theres a problem with the Via chipset on the KT7 i had this board and it died so im using the Asus A7v much better for me, as for SB16 emulation i tried that and didn't fix it. i suspect you guys are using Liveware 3, which states in the manaul of the Abit " is incompatable with this board...." as far as im aware the kt7a doesn't have this prob.

11. Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless Cold Turkey!

I've followed these threads with some interest as I have had the same problems with my rig in UT.
    Athlon 700
    256mb
    Geforce2 MX
    3COM Ethernet Card
    Cable Modem
    Gigabyte board
    Windows 2000 Pro

it only crashes during online play. There were several probs. One W2K uses ACPI and assignes various devices to one IRQ (9 in this case). So I removed the ACPI driver. Getting better. Then there was the problems with AGP and VIA chipsets. However Service pack 2 is now out and all problems are solved (120 mb download).
    Additionally I also stuck a Golden Orb Heatsink and a 3 fan intake cooler and an exhaust fan. Lowering the CPU temp by 10 degrees. System is now very stable and fast.
    Hope this helps people thinking about a W2K upgrade

12. Dr Cropper

WoW this thread still runnin?

Hi all,

I'vve still not fixed it:( I hav been using the 4.31 drivers and even tried the Breeze VIA patch no diff.

Asus board lookin good!

13. DeaJae

DeaJae taking a month's break

looking back thru the post ic about 99% of you guys have the KT7 or KT7 raid. i used to have the KT7 until i discovered the caps were breaking down on it. i also had random lockups with SBlive which were not solved by disabling sb16 emulation or lpt sharing. i had a massive shuffle of cards inside when i discovered the breaking caps. i found various articles on SBlive and KT7 incompatability. some of which can be found on windrivers forums. and the KT7 faq ( www.goto.kt7/faq i think). i gave in with a broken board and brought the ASUS, more stable. and guarenteed to run UT for more than an hour

14. TomWithTheWeather

TomWithTheWeather Die Paper Robots!

true true :(
    its the k7t mobo cause the same capasitor problems are happening to me. My computer wont even boot half the time. The MSI K7T boards just like to crap out after a few months. I disabled SB emulation, have a ps2 mouse and keyboard, disabled serial ports(to get more irq's) and I have not had any UT related lockups.

Athlon TBird 850 mhz
    MSI K7T Pro mobo
    256 Ram
    20 gb HD
    SbLive XGamer
    Netgear NIC
    3D Prophet III Geforce3
    lotsa cooling fans
    SB3100 Cable modem
    Hp printer and scanner
    crappy Intel Webcam usb
    Intellimouse Explorer Opitcal

Thats my setup if it helps.

15. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

UT locks up... sounds familiar to me.
    I had that problem for a long time and with different games: UT/UnrealED, Diablo 2 and others. Basically these used 3D graphics, sound and NO network. That's right! As long as there was net traffic it didn't lock up! The problem also disappeared when the PCI network card was disabled or I used an ISA network adapter.
    The problem disappeared completely afer installing the drivers from my network adapter's drivers disk, even on a pc using a different net adapter.
    If you run Win98 (maybe second edition) you might want to try this driver. Just extract it to some directory or to a floppy disk and run Upgrade.bat in the Win98 subdir, remove the driver of your net adapter and reboot. Then windows should install a 10M Ethernet driver and everything should be fine (I hope).

16. sfxwe

sfxwe New Member

Hey all, just an idea, and I am probably way off base...but here it goes anyways.....

What OS u guys running, I run Win2K, and I know there is an update for Win2K and AMD for AGP programs hanging up....here is the addy, http://support.microsoft.com/suppor...=amd&rnk=4&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000 , article # q270715. There are also some updates for AGP stuff on AMDs site, for Win2K and Win98Me if I am not mistaken, http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/bin/ , anyways, like I said I am probably way off base, but I hope this helps someone....

Good Luck All.....

17. CST|10|

CST|10| New Member

what resolution are you guys running UT in? i was having this same problem and i was running in 1024x768.... but i kicked it down to 800x600 and it doesn't do it as often. it's almost playable now... i'll get up to an hour or so before mine just kicks out w/ a page fault. 8) oh and i use the direct3d since radeon works so well w/ the openGL... 8(

18. natedogg

natedogg New Member

I fixed mine!!!

Hello, I was having lockups randomly and I fixed it!
    It would lockup, sound would continue... Single and multiplayer...
    Here's what I have

Windows 2000
    Athlon TB 850@945
    A7V133 w/ latest BIOS (BIOS had no effect on prob)
    VIA KT133A Chipset, of course
    256 MB RAM
    Geforce 2 GTS
    SB Live Value PCI
    3Com Ethernet card
    Cable Modem
    Latest Unreal Tourny Version

This is what I had when the prob was happening:
    Windows 2000 Pro
    NVidia drivers 10.8 and/or 12.41
    Via 4in1 4.29
    Direct X 8.0
    UT Cache=64MB

This is what I did to fix it,
    Updated my 4in1 to 4.32
    Lowered my UT Cache to 16MB
    Installed DirectX 8.0a for Win2000 (downloads as 8.0)
    Kept Detonator ver 12.41
    Installed service Packs 1 and 2 for Win2K

And it's fixed.
    I was so pissed for so long, and now it plays skip free and doesn't crash.

I hope this helps

19. NarnBatSquad

NarnBatSquad New Member

Something to consider is interupt sharing. Some modems and network cards get really pissy if they have to share their IRQ with anything (*cough*linksys*cough*).

Check to see if your network card/modem is sharing an IRQ and if possible change it to a free one. Consider different network hardware as well (I eventually moved to a netgear FA311, only $25 and works beautifully).

Windows sometimes likes to put everything on IRQ11. To fix this look in device manager and disable IRQ steering under PCI Bus. Be warned that this could seriously mess your computer up if your motherboard depends on it, and is a VERY BAD IDEA under win2k.

20. natedogg

natedogg New Member

Actually, splitting up the IRQs is a great Idea in Win2K.
    Especially if you have an ACPI compatible system.

a Sign of having an ACPI system is having all your devices on IRQ11.

To disable it (or to see for sure if it is enabled)
    go to:

Right Click, porperties on MY COMPUTER.
    click on HARDWARE tab then DEVICE MANAGER.
    click to + sign next to COMPUTER.
    It will say STANDARD SYSTEM or ACPI COMPATIBLE SYSTEM.

If it is ACPI you really should disable it for speed increases and stability in Win2K.
    I have been gaming with all my LAN buddies on Win 2K for months and disabling ACPI is the only way to fly.

Warning: It will reinstall ALL your drivers, so be prepared to put your driver disks back in or point it to the right folders.

Mine automatically, without a click, installed everything besides my SB Live.