1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT Nightmare

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by AndyK, Jan 13, 2001.

1. AndyK

AndyK New Member

I have an AMD T-Bird 1gb on an Abit KT7 Mobo, Voodoo5 5500, SB Live etc.
    I can play UT off line for as long as I want with no problem at all, my problem is that when I play online games my PC freezes, this can be after 1 min or 30 mins, it varies, I have noticed that Deck 16 is particularly likely to freeze after 10 mins or less (often 1 min).
    Now, I build PC's for a living, I have changed my Voodoo5 for a PCI Voodoo5, and removed all cards from the mobo except the voodoo, still same, so I formatted and reinstalled WinME, installed UT with Patch 436, Inoxx pack, Bonus packs etc, still same problem.
    Thought that as it only happens online (although I can play practise while connected to net in background fine), I would try another modem, I tried a different external and a diamond internal, same problem, have tried 4 different ISP's still same problem.
    I am tearing my hair out and am out of ideas, anyone got any suggestions?
    I have a new mobo and chip coming on Monday, that will be entire system changed, but I fear that it will not cure ther problem.

2. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

Only with UT??

3. AndyK

AndyK New Member

Yes, and only online

4. ZZMaj

ZZMaj New Member

Welcome to the club

I have exactly the same problem, almost did all what you did and it still crashes, and yes, only ONLINE.
    I tried everything. I noticed that there is sometnig happening in background, but UT freezes and can't let you access windows or anything It has to be a cold reset.
    So, I changed OS from 98SE to ME, still the same, sometimes even worse. But very strange fact is that sometimes UT works perfectly all day/night and tomorrow it would freeze 10 times. Last night I tried something else. I started UT and than went back to windowed mode, and while UT was listing servers, I was browsing around. I was kinda busy so UT was still active for about 20 minutes or so. Than it happened, Computer jus freezed. Nothing came up to desktop, I had to restart. Later on, whioe I was playing, suddenly UT minimized nad I got an error that wuauboot.exe has performed illiegal operation bla bla. Wuauboot is windows auto updater. I don't think this was the problem before but you never know.
    Maybe it's SB Live. Lot of people I found posting messages about this type of crash have SB Live. Me too :eek:)
    so my system specs:

Athlon T-Bird 900MHz
    192MB Ram
    MB MSI K7T Pro
    ASUS V6600 GeForce 256 sdr 32 MB
    SB Live value
    MS Explorer mouse

all hardware and software have latest drivers installed
    OS WIN ME

so, can any one figure out what's wrong here?
    cheers

5. spaceyuk

spaceyuk New Member

i have been having the same nightmare !!!

systen 900 Athlon 256mb ram, Abitkt7Raid MOBO
    Geforce 2 SB16PCI

No Viruses
    updated bios & 4in1 drivers
    etc etc
    still F**ks up and P***ing me off !!!

sometimes i can play for 2hours and close down no probs
    sometimes 5 mins
    IF ANYONE KNOWS DEFINITIVE SETTINGS TO STOP THIS BULLS**T
    I WOULD BE V GRATEFUL
    IT OFTEN OCCURS ON DECK 16 BUT I OFTEN PLAY THAT ANYWAY

6. ZenPirate

I think the problem is Athlon related.I don't have a problem with UT,but I get a similar problem with Need for Speed 5,and have found that Athlons are unstable at best (but I still love 'em :) )

7. AndyK

AndyK New Member

Sh*t ZZ_SdL²

I have got an MSI K7T Pro2A on the way, was hoping this may sort the problem.
    My cousin has an identical set-up to me, same board, chip,V5, Sblive etc, he has no problems at all, so I cant see this being a general Athlon problem.
    I built my machine at the same time as I built his, installed all same VIA drivers, Voodoo drivers etc, like I said the systems are identical but UT fine on his.

I am baffled

Forgot to mention, UNREAL is fine, just a UT problem

8. ZenPirate

hmmm....well if you do find a common denominator let me know if you can.
    I have : Duron 600@850
    Abit KT7
    Elsa Gadiac GeForce 2 GTS
    192 mb Crucial RAM
    SB Live
    VIA 427,Detonator 3(v634),Liveware 3.0
    Windows Millenium

9. Kray

Kray Time chaser

I thought I was the only one...

I too have similar problems. I can play UT offline for 24 hours straight without crashing. But as soon as I play online, it varies between 5 minutes upto 3 hours before my computer freezes and I have to reboot. I've always thought my system is low on resources that's causing the crash, but after seeing your (monster) specifications, I don't think that's it.

My only theory left is that it must be related to (bad) phone line, ISP or modem. How else can you explain similar symptoms but such variance in system specification?

-----
    My system: P2-300mhz, 128Mb, Savage4 AGP 32Mb, Via Apollo Pro 133 mobo, on-board sound, Win98, directX 7, JGC tweaked driver 1.1, 56k modem.

UT: ver 4.32

10. Fomhoire

Fomhoire Internet Addict

Winmodems causing the problem? Something to consider, since they use processor time, and between UT and the modem, the processor gets tied up.

Also, I've seen a lot of people put pci modems in the #1 PCI slot, which shares something with the AGP. One of my motherboards will not allow the first PCI slot to be used if you have an AGP card.

11. AndyK

AndyK New Member

WOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Problem cured (but unfortunately not diagnosed)

I installed a new MSI K7T Pro2A mobo and T-Bird 1gig (straight up to 1.2, lol)
    I can now play online with no problem, still a mystery to me what the problem was, although I have installed another SBLive as well.
    I didnt even format or reinstall UT, just went in safe mode and removed mobo resources etc, booted with new board and chip and hey presto.

I am lucky enough to own a PC company so have access to substitute components, I hope you all get sorted

Andy

12. Gres718

Gres718 New Member

Just a theory

Just happend that I am on DSL line and running
    firewall software and I know :

some severs running as a decoy :

e.g.
    I ping to them 50ms.
    As soon as you join them I start feeling lag.
    Ping still is good, but lotsa Packet Loss and laggy feeling.
    And my firewall going crazy:

All my ports getting scanned.
    They trying to connect to me!!!
    Ofcourse becouse, of firewall they got slim chances.

But who knows what they do to people without FireWall.
    Who knows what could couse all those freezes,
    especially if that just happens online.

13. *frenchGURU*

*frenchGURU* New Member

Hi everybody,

I have two problems like this one but I think this two bugs are not linked together.
    First, indeed UT freeze and all is locked : nothing move but the sound continue to work. It seems due to my graphic card because I encounter this problem as well with UT as with Rally Championship 2000, Half Life, Need For speed 4... It is more frequent when I use 3dfx rather than D3D.

Second, sometimes (frequently in fact!) my keyboard and mouse do not respond. All other things work correctly : sound, connection, UT engine. Only keyboard and mouse seem disconnected. Other players continue to kill me, I reappear, then they kill me ! It's a nightmare. The only key available is the soft reset (or the power button).
    After that 5 or 6 minutes are required to reboot, run fsck, reconnect to Internet provider , run UT and reconnect to server ! And I restart with 0 kill !
    This problem appears only with UT and online (?).
    4 or 5 years ago I encountered the same problem with Doom in LAN Deathmatch games. At this time, I have simply to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard plug and all was OK (It was the old time of Win 3.X !).

My config (very poor indeed comparing yours !):
    AMD K6-2 400MHz
    64 Mo
    3dfx card Voodoo Banshee (Guillemot Phoenix)
    Win98
    UT 436
    I think I have the lastest driver versions.

If you can explain me how to fix this @#%!?* bug, I'll be grateful to you for ever !

14. You-Suk|BuF

You-Suk|BuF Getting ready

OK, i have a question for you all
    when you're playing (or trying to....:) )online, how many of you are 56k players.

i had the same prob, this ended by replacing my modem
    (wich was a soft modem) by a hardware modem

maybe a solution for a some of you

15. DamationAngel

DamationAngel New Member

I have this problem with a cable modem and win98 version b 256 pc100 ram voodoo5 p3733 machine i built myself ive tried everything all of you have tried. NO LUCK. My question is this. Why has epic not addressed this problem its has been on the message boards for a long time now for a lot of people. Someone help us

16. Kray

Kray Time chaser

I'm using 56k

Good theory there, I was thinking along the same line as well. But I've had this problem while I was using my (no-name external) 33.6 modem, and now I've changed to Artnet 56k external modem (serial) and the problem still persists.

17. *frenchGURU*

*frenchGURU* New Member

I mean it isn't a modem problem. Indeed I had the problem yesterday OFFLINE.
    I don't know if we are speaking about the same problem. My is an input problem. Suddenly, the keyboard and mouse no longer obey. If I lean against a wall, I continue to go alongside until I stick in a corner. It is as if the forward key (in fact the last actionned key) stays locked.
    That can't be due to the 3D Board or Modem.

18. You-Suk|BuF

You-Suk|BuF Getting ready

19. minkie

minkie New Member

UT Freezing

Wow, does your freezing problem sound familiar! I was running UT just fine. No problems at all. Then I installed a 3-com nic card and after installing it, had the EXACT same problem that you did when trying to play UT online in "multiplayer" mode.

I have a Pentium III 800EB/133 MHz. Tyan motherboard (S1854), 128 megs ram, SBLive, and a Nvidia TNT2/64 video card.

For over a week now, I've been unable to play UT online. Then last night I ran SiSoft Sandra (a system Utility) and
    changed 2 things on my system that the program recommended. Because I changed 2 things, I'm not sure which one worked, but my game WORKED AGAIN!!!!!!!

When I installed the 3com nic card, it installed to IRQ 9, but I got an error message that it "wasn't working properly" I changed the I/O address, rebooted and it worked fine. Trouble is, that now I couldn't play my UT game on

Here's the 2 things that I changed last night:

When I booted to the System Bios last night, it said that IRQ 9 was a secondary IRQ. I changed it to "primary". I doubt that this was the fix.

Using TWEAKUI, I shut off "Windows Animation".

I then rebooted and went back online to play UT. It DIDN'T FREEZE!!! I played 3 or 4 games and shut it down normally. This is the first time that I didn't feeze up and have to CTL/ALT/DEL to get out. I don't understand how the 3com could affect the game, and I don't understand how those two changes might have helped-- all I know is that it did. I actually played UT ONLINE AGAIN LAST NIGHT@!!!!!!!!!

Hope that you get your problem fixed. I really do sympathize with you.

Cheryl

20. PsychoSy

PsychoSy New Member

I've had simular issues. Video'd freeze but sound keeps going. I had them in Quake 3, however. It only happened once to me though and I cured it with the "vid_restart" command from the console. My rig is a turtle compared to all of you folks here tho, we all do share some common hardware.

I'm using a Gigabyte GA5-AX Rev.5.x board with a lowly K6-2 500, 256MB RAM, Elsa Gladiac MX w/ Ref. 6.49 drivers on a fresh install of WinME and a SB Live! I haven't got around to re-installing UT or Q3 yet but my brief experiance happened before last nights big format.

Having been building PCs for some time now, I think these lockups with ongoing sound may not neccessarily be CPU related. Like one user said, swapping his MSI K7T Pro2a helped but that swap might not have been necessary. I believe that these problems could be a quirk with the OS or drivers. Check your Device Managers and see if ACPI is installed because ACPI implementation is often buggy. I've seen ACPI completely cripple a system and I've seen it do crazy stuff like routing EVERY device to IRQ9 in Win2K. And WinME users might benefit by turning off System Restore. Nice little addition to WinME that usually likes to run while your playing a game thus bringing even the fastest systems down to a earthworm crawl. :mad:

The "Black Screen Of Mouse Pointer" problem upon exiting UT seems to be a bug with either UT or Nvidia's drivers. Personally I think this may be a problem with the way UT releases the calls to Nvidia cards since that's the only game I get the "BSoMP" ordeal when exiting.

Just food for thought! :D