(UT) Layout tips?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
little bit of history, ive been doing far too little mapping, going far too slowly for ages now, and have decided i need to get more serious again.

problem is, you see, my last two completed maps were both outdoor maps, big and questionable. whatever. basically, ive had very little experience in indoor-style arena layout.

i wondered if anyone has any good tips, they wish to share... eh?

you know, principles, theories, links to good tutes, anything. help me out here, im struggling enough with archetecture!

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
Wiht regards to Z-Axis

One Level Bad
Two Levels OK
Three Levels Good

Sarevok

Jun 4, 2002
Kuwait
I think DavidM has a gameplay tutorial at his site and Hourences has an architecture tutorial at his site, those should help
but I think the best way to learn is through experience and studying other maps

darth_weasel

I won
Apr 20, 2002
UK
darth-weasel.tripod.com
problem with trying too hard to avoid room corridor room is you end up with a map that feels like a few big subtraced brushes with ramps added in *cough* seraphim *cough* and about a million others i can name :) not that they aren't good maps they just have no uniqueness to them.

The Twiggman

Instagib 4 Life
You wanna make a map where almost every aspect of the map is visible from some point, and flow where you can keep moving and have multiple paths to choose from. Lifts and kickers to replace stairs and ramps. Teleporters and warpzones if your a hurting unit.

Ya I really don't like the single floor style, but if you want lots of carnage, it is a way to get some nice kills, but I'd rather be flying all over the place and kicking off walls and stuff. Lol, thats a mint idea, kickers on walls!