1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT 2k3/2k4 RainbowSix mute would like some testers

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by meowcat, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Kyle Kellahshehskee

Kyle Kellahshehskee [^..^]Kyle

Arm wobble OPTION, your DM maps setup for...?

Lots of good news in your reply. Especially with integrating my body movement sounds and the jacking up of the flybys. :)

Thanks for explaining the ballistics for each mutator. I think I now know why the CoD mut is my favorite. :)

Your DM versions of the maps you're making, are you planning on incorporating the missile crate system? It'd be nice to get maps that can be solidly relied on in regards to getting decent spawns.

Adding arm wobble due to excessive breathing would be a VERY nice addition. Personally, I'd like to see it folded into the CoD mut, as that's the one I'm continuously drifting towards due to its broader implementation of round penetration capabilities. Perhaps make "arm wobble due to breathing (stamina)" an option that one could activated via the UI for each of the mutators, so if a player wants it, it's there. If it's activated, it'd be great if the bots were affected by it too, otherwise, the only participant being penalized is the player. A recurring gripe regarding INF's bots were that they were immune from any stamina effects. If that could be avoided with what you cook up, that be a solid bonus.

I'd also add an UI option for "tracer grenades" to the mutators. That way, if a player would like the benefit of having them sparkling through the air for training purposes, they'd be there on demand. Once they've mastered the system, they could disable it.

The more I hear about your next release, the more I like it. :D

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. Kyle Kellahshehskee

A measure for adjusting sounds...?

Meow,

I was just struck by something that may assist you in setting the some of the volumes in the game.

I was taking my kids for a walk, listening to how loud my (non-military) clothing is as I walk, and then I listened to my wee ones scuttling about, and all of this movement is quite loud.

What might help is to first set the body movement sounds' volumes first, then adjust any others as necessary.

One of my friends who experienced a lot of combat said that incoming rounds snapping by are quite loud: close ones are loud enough to cause a tickling in the BONES as they zip past. He couldn't figure out if this was due to a true interaction of actual physical forces, and/or due to a psychological response to realizing just how close to Death one is when the rounds snap by.

So, once the body sound effects are setup, try out the round fly-by's as they should be easily heard over the sounds of one's rustling and rubbing clothing.

Have to go!
    :)

3. GalZohar

GalZohar New Member

Rounds snapping by are definitely pretty damn loud. Borderline-earplug-requiring kind of loud. This is from first hand experience.

Of course that effect shouldn't be happening with bullets that fly slower than the speed of sound (aka pistol rounds).

4. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

I too have heard the sounds of passing rounds 4-6 feet overhead (though fortunately only while working the targets downrange rather than being shot at), and yes they are very loud :) For the purposes of being able to even hear them in game though I had to do two things: 1. Slow down the projectile playing the buzz sound so that you would hear it as they passed (they travel about as fast as a normal UT rocket); 2. Limit the volume so they don't overpower everything else (which early on they were).

I will play around with the volume (and more importantly volume radius) to try and balance them, but I will probably end up making the variable configurable so that you can adjust them as you go until it sounds right.

[EDIT] A few updates (3 January 2010):
    1. Ok, I've got the volume increased for the bullet buzzes and added config vars. The audio system kind of limits me though in that I've maxed the volume of the buzz .wav file (without maxing/saturating the sound) and bumped up the volume in game. It seems louder (at least to me).
    2. shortened the MA5G grenade trail a lot.
    3. Improved the snow and dirt impact effects a bit
    4. added player movement sounds (right now only play when going prone, crouch/uncrouch, and beginning sprinting)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  5. Kyle Kellahshehskee

That "sounds" like a great start on the additional effects, Meow!

Pun intended, of course!

;-D

6. Kyle Kellahshehskee

Meow,

Is there a reason why the leaning sound effect isn't planned for the upcoming release? Is it more difficult to code than the rest of the sounds or...?

When I first experienced some of the mods for OFP that made leaning possible, and then after convincing leaning sound effects were added, it went a long way in deepening the experience.

Just wondering.

7. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

@ Kyle: I'll add sounds to the leaning as well, and yes I whole heartedly agree that it adds a lot to the immersion factor (and reminds of good old Rainbow Six).

I've got the base model for the M68 CCO completed, now just have to UV map and skin it. Which M4 loadout would be most appropriate? (SOPMOD?)

8. Corporal_Lib [BR]

Corporal_Lib [BR] Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)

We could have the M4A1 SOPMOD, full "pimped" (supressor, M203, tac light or AN/PEQ2, M68), but the M68CCO could be also be used on the TD´s Car-15 model (camouflaged at least) just like that pict I´ve posted lol

kick ass

9. Kyle Kellahshehskee

Trickin' out...suppressor...camo scheme...

Meow,

I'm VERY happy to hear that you think that integrating the rest of the new sound effects play a significant role in enhancing the level of immersion for the mod. I can't wait to hear the full package "in action!" :lol:

In regards to how to trick it out, yeah, an over-the-top SOPMOD with the M68 sounds just fine. Swinging it Corporal_Lib's way wouldn't hurt either, although, not to burden you too much now, ;) but if it wouldn't be too much trouble, it'd be interesting to have a version that comes with and without a suppressor (the suppressed version using the appropriate subsonic flyby sound). I just wish that I could find an article that had "definite" information in regards to how much damage subsonic rounds do. Pretty much all of the articles that I've read over the years "agree" that the subsonic round's range is truncated but there's disagreement as to if it does less damage. Most of the articles mention that a subsonic round is larger, and that the added mass keeps its lethality higher than what one would expect. So... Do with that what you will!

Oh, and offering a variant with a M302 (preferred) or M203 would be sweet too, with/without a suppressor.

If push comes to shove, and you want to get a release out more quickly, then I vote in releasing a version without a suppressor. That can be added later!

In regards to giving it a camouflaged skin, if that routes pursued (not an absolute necessity in my opinion) I'd advise going with a "terrain neutral" scheme, that is, something made out of a range of grays, from very light to very dark.

I saw a newstand magazine several months back that had an interior advertisement for such a scheme, and it looked stunning and its terrain flexibility was without question. I can't recall the name of the manufacturer, but the patterning looked a lot like the ones found here: http://www.hyperstealth.com/consealment/Spec4ce/index.html

While the patterning was very similar, it did not have any kind of color to it at all; strictly a range of cunningly thought out grays.

An aside question: do you think it's likely that someday we'll see an Aimpoint scope mounted atop of an ACOG, and have both sights operational at the player's discretion? I honestly feel that the way you have the Halo weapon setup so that it's an EASY to remember and an EASY to use means of accessing a different attachment is brilliant. If you could combine this selection system with the aiming aide choices, that weapon would be a big draw to the players.

Again, I'm excited to hear about the latest fruits of your hard work, and can't wait to get my mitts on them.

:)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  10. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

Things have gone a bit slow lately, but here is a shot of the Aimpoint sight skinned, both first person version (~728 triangles) and low poly third person version (~162 triangles).
    [​IMG]

I chose orange for the tinge on the front of the sight (only ever seen in third person). I am open to suggestions for it. Not sure how soon I will get this and an M4 in game though. I've also been working on a BlackHawk helicopter vehicle, and a few "critters" (Utahraptor & TRex).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  11. Kyle Kellahshehskee

Our "friends" to be feathered...?

Looks good to me! :)

A T-Rex and a raptor, eh? When your mod's single-player campaign comes out, it's going to be surreal. A realistic first person simulator where the formerly-extinct are now The Norm. :lol: Our job is to make them extinct again!

Are you planning on fully-feathering the raptor? If I'm not mistaken, the most intact fossil of it yet discovered makes it beyond debate that it was covered in feathers. As far as I know, no mod nor commercially released title has yet to feature a raptor that's up to date with the latest discoveries.

And if you think a feathered version Velociraptor would be less scary than leathery lizarded one, well, I'd think again, especially if being hunted by a flock of them (they were also the size of today's wild turkeys--much smaller than in Jurassic Park!):
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article2500236.ece
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Velociraptor_dinoguy2.jpg
    And the coolest blood-curdling images of our feathered "friends":
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehabsfan/2970652573/
    http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/uploads/dinocomp.jpg

Oops! Just caught the "Utah" part in your posting. Yeah man, those are bigger than the badly proportioned ones in Jurassic Park. From what I've just researched, they were fully feathered as well. Come up with some wicked colorings on those feathers if you go that route!

Also, I came across some images in the past that speculate that the T-Rex had feathers too. Debate rages to what extent though. Almost certainly the young ones had feathers for insulation, but some postulate that the feathers were retained on the forearms of even the eldest T-Rexes. The mind salivates with the possibilities!

A hit effect on the raptors could have brightly colored plumes flying!

Make tasty eating I'd bet.

;)

12. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

The reason I decided to try and make some dino models (never mind trying to fit them into a SP/CoOp story just yet) is that there aren't too many man-hunter critters around these days (which is a good thing I suppose) that would be quite as scary, and I just could not go with humanoid enemies only. I'll probably stick with the featherless versions for now since they are easier to skin/texture. (feathers or anything with alpha maps can be tricky to get right without distortion during animation)

I have also been thinking a lot about potential Boss battles, and fighting the T-Rex (just like in good old Turok: The Dinosaur Hunter) might be kind of fun, or not... we'll see. Other boss Battles will probably include fighting some armored vehicles (copters and maybe tanks), and some teams of high health Special Forces type baddies. Oh, and after having played Turok on the old N64, my SP enemies will definitely throw lots of grenades (the Turok humanoid enemies were really well done for the time with both melee, projectile and lobbed attack methods).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  13. fty

fty New Member

meowcat
    Thank you for the great mod YARM!
    Faces of soldiers is the only thing that I hate in YARM.
    Sounds, dino models, vehicles are great, I think.
    But THAT faces! They are weird.
    Is it possible to make it look better? Or make masks for them. Please.
    I registered only for that. Sorry.

14. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

Hi fty: No problem, this is exactly the kind of feedback that I need! Any particular face skin that you dislike most? (or is there a specific "weirdness" that maybe I could fix on all of them?). I can definitely redo the skins (and I actually have a few more face skins made), and roughly a third of the models use some sort of balaclava. If you can post a screenshot with the part of the skin highlighted that looks strange that would help!

15. fty

fty New Member

Full list of bad YARM models here.

And here is my favorite skins and models. I hope you will do YARM models like this. You can do it. I know.

And thank you for the YARM again.

16. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

hmm, I've taken a look at your favorites model set. Is it the camouflage/armored models that you prefer, or those just as examples of faces? (I tried to view the ugly.7z file but it did not extract, you could post it here in the forum as an attachment if the pic is not too big)

EDIT: On a side note here are two pics of the Black Hawk "based" vehicle I'm working on. Right now it has the pilot, two gunners, and the ability for crouched players to climb into the cargo area. I will probably add a combat load (some missile pods) and maybe a nose mounted machine gun for the "CoPilot" to use.

[​IMG] <-> [​IMG]

EDIT 2: More pictures now with the Pilot's armaments included (a "dumb" rapid fire missile pod, and air-to-air seeking missiles)
    [​IMG] <-> [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  17. fty

fty New Member

My favorites model set is example of tough enemies. Soldiers. Mercenaries. Dangerous. Simply cool models at last. New skins of standart Brock model looks great. Another soldiers also very cool.
    And now look at this gallery of clever faces from latest version 128 (december).
    [​IMG]<>[​IMG]<>[​IMG]<>[​IMG]<>[​IMG]<>[​IMG]
    Bandits. Or like this. But never soldiers.
    I know, you wanted to make low-poly models but now it's a time of Crysis-like games, multiprocessors and 4Gb RAM. You can make more attractive models. Farcry mercenaries in UT2004 is my dream, but I don't have a time and will to learn 3ds Max & Maya. May I request you about something like this?

Cool helicopter. When you will make a release?

P.S. My avatar is a portrait of one of the 'bandidas'. I call him 'horn-nose'.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  18. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

Check the Content Release thread (in the BU forums, rather than here in the INF forums) for the latest version of the TD Warfare vehicle pack (with the helicopter). I thought I included a soldier style model in the last release, oh well there will be one in the next release.

And just because you have a high end computer does not mean everyone else does too ;)
    The machine I work on now has a 1Ghz Athlon CPU, 512 of PC133 RAM, and a 64 Mb GeForce4MX video card. If it wasn't for the fact that my other newer, barely UT3 capable, computer failed (either the RAM, MB, or CPU died) I would not be spending any more on any more computers at all.

19. Corporal_Lib [BR]

Corporal_Lib [BR] Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)

Nice Blackhawk, Meow! Hey, do you mean you´ve already released it? Why didn´t you posted the link and advertised it here? 8X (or maybe I got it wrong... anxious to see the pimped m4a1 ingame soon ;)

[edit] Just dl and played... wow, the blackhawks really rocks! but the missiles and rockets could have a limit (8 for the hellfires and 32 for the rockets) so it doesn´t get too arcadish... now we need a Stinger for the soldiers lol

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  20. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

@Corporal_Lib[BR]: Thanks for trying it out! My main goal with completing the BlackHawk was actually so I could use it for the SP portion of YARM (Coop mission involving flying around to various objectives etc.) I thought about limiting the missiles (or maybe give them a "recharge" time). I'm not sure though....I'll probably get back to it in a few weeks.

At this point the M4 is going to be much like the M16A4 with EOTech, except it will use the Aimpoint and I may change the damage stats a bit. It will also fire full auto. Eventually (a couple of months), I will be adding a new RPG/Missile Launcher with laser guidance and heat seeking.

Here are some screenshots of the upgraded foliage detail in the previously released GhostTown remake map. I've made a few more jungle type plant models/textures and I really like the detail (I sort of have to make a jungle SP/Coop map now).
    [​IMG] <-> [​IMG] <-> [​IMG] <-> [​IMG] <-> [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010