1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - General UT 2004 Question

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by SimonDenton, Mar 23, 2009.

?

Is UT 2004 capable of making a GTA mod?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No!

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. SimonDenton

SimonDenton New Member

I apologise if this sounds impossible and irritating:

Is UT2004 capable of making a GTA mod out of?

Because I want to make a GTA sort of mod :D

2. Phoenix_Wing

Phoenix_Wing Official Kantham Stalker

Yup it is. The vehicles, weapons, people, all can be done in the Editor, UScript, and 3DMax and a few other programs. It will be a hell of a time though coding everything, definitely not a one man job. Why don't you build it off the UT3 engine, it has more realistic ragdolls, Karma, Textures, and Meshes and plenty of other things. Nothing is impossible with the Unreal Engine.

3. SimonDenton

SimonDenton New Member

So I should buy UT3? Is it the retail version of can I buy UT3 Black from steam?

Wait, isn't making a GTA mod out of a complicated engine a bit ambitious?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. madspacemarinemustdie

madspacemarinemustdie ...

Learning to model stuff, learning the editor and learning to code might take a bit of time, unless you already know some things already.

Prepare to learn for a few years. And then you can start with the mod! :D

5. SimonDenton

SimonDenton New Member

I am good at mapping, I mapped Deus Ex which is on Ued 1 and 2 so is ther much more to learn? :p

6. Phoenix_Wing

Yes, you need to know a LOT more than just mapping. You need to know how to link bones in a skeletal mesh for vehicles, plenty of coding experience, modeling skills. I doubt with just mapping skills alone you could get this done. UT3 isn't more complicated, its just WAY more realistic. Play it and see what you think. Yes UT3 Black on Steam comes with the Editor too

7. SimonDenton

SimonDenton New Member

Okay, what programs do I need and how do I learn the coding and modeling skills?

I am happy to be an unreal modder! :D

8. Phoenix_Wing

Ok for coding you need Unreal Editor, and Notepad. Simple as that. Modeling you will want 3DMax or Maya, both of which are not free (or cheap) but are very good programs. If you need a free one, have a look around im sure you will find some. Here is a good coding tutorial for UT2003 to get you started, the language is the same in UT3, Ut2k4 but with changed things in it. BU Wiki has the changes on there. http://www.angelmapper.com/gamedev/tutorials/coding1.htm

Its a lot harder than you think to make great things.
    For modeling tutorials simply ask Google