1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Using textures from Desert Storm mappack

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by smeerkat, Jan 28, 2006.

?

What should I do with the Desert Storm textures?

1. Import them all as MyLevel

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Just assume everyone has installed the DS mappack

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  3. Include the texture packages in my zip file

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other options (please post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Don't use those textures at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. smeerkat

smeerkat Hello, old friend...

I'd like to use textures from the DS mappack, in my map. I've got some options here:

- import them all as MyLevel
    - leave as is, assuming everyone has the DS mappack
    - include the texture packages in my final zip file
    - other options?

2. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Don't bother, everyone has the DS mappack.

3. smeerkat

UT textures: can I use them, without having to include the packages?

Polys/Nodes: do you recommend 200/400 ratio?

Uniforms: can I select which uniforms will be used by each team?

Locations: do I just use ZoneInfo > Location, or is there an INF specific actor?

4. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

- yes

- if needed in some areas, you can easily go for twice as that (you're talking about performance right ?).

- no, it's a server setting

- that, or if you don't wanna mess with too many zones you can also use "locationId"'s

5. smeerkat

More n00b questions, sorry:

The Desert Storm mappack was installed as a subfolder of INF/maps. So when I try to open the DS maps in the editor, nothing appears. Is it safe for me to move all the DS related files back into the INF directory?

I was looking at a DS- fixed map (those I had put in the right place), and it had a Pulse Gun and Redeemer. Why is that?

Originally, I thought it would be cool to put the Attacker PlayerSpawns on the helicopter, then move the helicopter to the top of a building. But how would I get the bots to jump off? I don't think a simple LiftExit would work. From what I've seen, Attacker PlayerSpawns are in an area, protected by EASSniper.

EAS-INF-Mostar: I notice the whole map is one big zone! Yet it doesn't lag that much for me. Is that credited to my machine, or the engine?

Yes, I will try to stay under 200 polys / 400 nodes. It's always tempting to add more brushes to avoid the blocky look, but I don't want the map to run slow.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  6. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

When i said twice as that, i meant you can easily push the engine to a 400/800 ratio. A lot of maps have this many polys, although in most cases you should try to keep it a bit under this value.

As for mostar you'd better ask the mapper himself. I can just tell you that zoning does not always improve performance, in fact it's not really recommended for outside maps (afaik you should never have to many zones in sight).

I'm not sure about the DS mappack, but i think you have to edit your ini for the editor to load the maps (be aware that some folders have .unr and .u files in it)

And about the pulse gun and redeemer, Inf automatically removes them, so they just act as standard navigation points. Some say that UT goodies make it more likely for bots to use a specific path, but i've never been able to witness that myself.

7. smeerkat

I was running through DS-Venture, and the polys/nodes were pretty low. I don't think I can get it quite that low, but I'll certainly keep an eye on it. I'll never go as high as 400/800. DS-Jerusalem was pretty high.

I'll try that path trick with the ut_shieldbelt, and see if it's true or not. :)

8. Demosthanese

Demosthanese .

And what if my name is Steve? Don't I get an option to vote for that?

Anyway, I've told you that DS textures are perfectly ok to use.

The bit about placing redeemers about the maps to get the bots to move around is seems like more of a myth. I havn't taken the time to prove or disprove it, but I really don't think it matters as INF removes those items.

It's ok to move the DS maps to the main folder, but you can also edit the editor INIs to look into those folders.

As to polygons: Keep it low and use textures and deco to add details, just like in UT.

Okay, guys. Click here:
    http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/view_author.php?aid=158

and click here:
    http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=5395

9. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Inf removes the pickups, but the pathnodes remain. Bots tend to value the big powerups (redeemer, shieldbelt etc.) very highly, so will more often try and get to those pathnodes.

10. smeerkat

y helo Steve. :)

Don't click on those links, guys. Just my crappy UT maps. :shy:

DM-Casaloma does not use "realistic" measurements. I can't stand narrow doorways and corridors, especially in a UT map. That is my only criticism of Mostar, all the bots get jammed in the stairs leading up to the bridge.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  11. smeerkat

Can we just right-click a regular Pathnode, go into Properties and make it more desireable? Rather than putting in redeemers and shieldbelts and flak cannons. Or does that require scripting?

12. FieldMedic

FieldMedic Less good UT Player ever

I don't know, but i confirm the fact putting an object bots will "desire" in a certain spot will make such area more valuable for the AI.

I remember a year ago, i edited a map to test a bit how things were working and noticed the INF bots always ignored a part of this map.

After reading some notes about AI behaviour in UT , i tested adding a redeemer in that area and had the pleasant surprise to notice the bots decided to explore it.

So instead of adding some more scriptings, as those extra objects are removed from the game by INF , but still have a "presence" for the AI, this should be the best solution for specific zones

But what i don't know is what happen if you put too many AI "desired" objects, will the bots be even more confused ?

13. smeerkat

Can I use something else like an AmbushPoint to entice the bots?

14. smeerkat

I just checked out EAS-INF-Ruin. There are all sorts of Unreal and UT pickups and weapons. :eek:

15. Demosthanese

Demosthanese .

Note: Look at OldGeezer maps for tips on how not to make a proper map.

16. smeerkat

what's wrong with his maps?

17. Demosthanese

Demosthanese .

Poor development and poor objective layouts. He did a lot of copy and pasting of the same brush of a cube building stuck a CD by the defender spawns and an extract by the attacker spawns and called it a map. Generally very dull and uncreative maps.

18. smeerkat

Are you referring to all his maps, or the Bocage one?

19. Demosthanese

Demosthanese .

Pretty much all of them. He had one where he put in more objectives, but it was pretty poorly done.

Conversly, most things by fatmarrow are pure gold.