1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Useless maps in Nali City...

Discussion in 'Nali City' started by Nahand, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Nahand

Nahand !!! God Of Random !1?

... as said. This is a topic that's been talked about over and over, in time, but i feel that i should bring it to light once more. The matter here are useless maps in the database. When i say useless, i mean real maps that no one desires, not even as a n00b constructive comment work.

Even first try maps (aka n00b maps), have some kind of value if they are original and show interest by the mapper in learning and eventually giving the community good mappage. These should be preserved and encouraged.

Then, there's maps that remarkably show no skill what-so-ever, and his author doesn't seem to want to take it to the next level. These maps usually have even almost a "joke" feeling to it, as if someone was merely poking with the site or its users. I feel these maps should enter deliberation for deletion, by NC staff and maybe user feedback as well. I fully understand the theory behind NC that it should be a comprehensive map database for Unreal games, but IMO there's no reason at all to keep these maps around wasting space.

I'm talking about some very specific cases of mappage here, like AS-Panzerpower or DM-Morbias Fun. These clearly are the crap of the creep and don't have any use. Like this, others might exist that now elude me. Also, i don't want to turn this into another "witch hunt" in NC, where aberrant maps will be deleted by the tons (even if i agree with part of it). I'm just adressing these extreme cases and similar.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  2. MassChAoS

MassChAoS echo "NaliCity";

There are also useless reviewers on NaliCity... but we seem to keep them around.

Not pointing any fingers.

3. Hourences

Hourences New Member

It would take far to long to search and find them, the benefits you would get from doing it are minimal and are not in balance with the time put it and you cant start to say this map can go in and this map not

4. tgm79

tgm79 New Member

There really are lot of crappy maps here and I know what i'm talking about because i've played nearly 95% of every UT99 map this site hosts. However most of them aren't crappy because their author wanted it that way but simply because he lacked the skills needed. Even in the most stupid and annoyng map there is that little seed of "life". I've seen them all - map full of pupaes that kill you right away when you spawn. Stairs with insane step height going nowhere. Concrete floors covered with plants. Flames placed on unbelievable spots - even on water. Rooms covered with mirrors facing each other. Maps consisting of one 256x256x256 cube and with witty names like DM-Claustrophobic or DM-1cube. Let’s not forget the “Bathroom” clan series, which I despise the most. Countless Deck16 variations. Tons of ****ty “City intro” maps. What about the Hagman maps – they are easy to recognize even without looking at authors name (he has his own stile though). Maps that come with twenty texture files – one for each single texture. Maps that require from you to replace many of your original texture files with new versions. Maps that crash your computer when you press the “StartPracticeSession”. Maps that kill you instantly when you spawn and touch the floor. (Hm, those two types of maps definitely are pretty useless.)
    However I don’t think they must be deleted. In many of those maps there is something that is worth seeing at least once. Other are just experiments with the Unreal Engine possibilities and present to you some features that you can never come across. The good thing about Nali City is its diversity and abundance of maps for every taste.

5. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

I've always thought of this place as a vault for UT maps over the years. Of course there are gonna be loads of crappy maps, but there are always people who will download them and they shouldn't be cut off just cus they suck. NC is one of the founding map storage/review sites, why tarnish that history by shutting out certain maps? It is just as easy to not post a comment or not download such a map if one does not like it. Some people feel the maps we give 9s and 8s here are the ones that suck and they play the ones that would normally recieve low scores. My point is removing all the shiit maps would make us "elitists" and there are enough lamers out there who spread that crap about the site already. Keeping these maps here is just another testimony that NC is the kind of place that doesn't force you out if you aren't "good enough", despite some absurd beliefs.

6. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

Hmm, I couldn't do that.
    I did this once for doom2 though. Had a cd with 2000 levels. Played every single one of them. Ended up regretting it so much, I promised myself never going on such quest ever again.

For UT I've probably played over 1000 dm/ctf/as/dom maps. I think that suffices...
    0_0
    I don't even want to know what kind of map f.e. "dm-shootthewalls, sized 19 kb" would turn out to be...