1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Useful math functions here!

Discussion in 'Programming' started by usaar33, Feb 5, 2002.

?

Did you find this info useful?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. mr.s-d

mr.s-d CHiMERiC Moderator

For those fortunate enough not to have experienced the UK education system.
    High school starts at year 7 and finishes at year 11 (when you're 16).
    The national curriculum (i.e. what all schools must teach) is divided into key stages. Key stage 4 is the final two years of high school, and leads to GCSE qualifications.
    Education subsequent to high school is voluntary, you can attend 6th form (if your school has one) / college to do A-levels or GNVQs. From college you can go to university to do a degree (such as in my case, BSc Comp Sci).

2. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

I was lucky enough to finish my school education just before they brought the national curriculum in.
    The level in maths GCSE (16) and A level (18) has definitely dropped. While I was at university the department were having to choose between dropping the Analysis course from 1st year, or making new students take a summer catch-up course, because coming form A levels they no longer had the basic grounding. :(

I've created a new page in the Wiki for my maths functions. usaar33, you're very welcome to come & add yours too.
    http://www.imahosting.com/unrealwiki/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?Useful_Maths_Functions

FAQ & info about the UnrealWiki documentation project is at: http://www.imahosting.com/unrealwiki/.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2002
  3. butto

butto Red Orchestra Coder

In the US, normally Algebra I is taken in 9th grade. Many schools allow students who are more advanced to take it in the 7th or 8th grades. After Algebra I, the order and names of classes may vary in different school systems. My school had Geometry (which covered basic trig at the near the end of the course), Algebra II, Pre-Calculus (which covers trigonometry thoroughly), Calculus I, and used to have Calculus II before our idiotic new superintendent decided it wasn't needed. Any further math would have to be taken at college (colleges and universities are the same thing essentially).

4. Eater1

Eater1 Coder

If you're in a US school and taking Algebra I in the 9th grade, you're likely to be partially retarded (no offence to anyone whom that offends). In general, the US has a depressingly weak math program in schools... Oh well.

Eater.

5. mr.s-d

mr.s-d CHiMERiC Moderator

Yeah tarquin I agree with you, the UK education standards are definately dropping. You'd have to be pretty darn stupid to fail GCSEs these days. Heck GCSEs are much easier than the old O-levels, making the jump to A-level huge. For example when I started my A-levels students who'd done the intermediate Maths GCSE (such as my self) had to take a special course to be allowed on the maths A-level.

6. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

Not really. Many schools simply do not provide the opportunity for students to get ahead (a friend of mine who was vastly superior to myself in math ended up a year behind me).

I can't comment on the programs, as I've never seen other countries. It seems foolish though to talk about the US as a whole however, as education is generally controlled at the state level. (my state, California, is amongst the lowest rated :Poop: )

7. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

8. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Every page in the WikiWeb is editable. There's a link at the bottom of the page that says "edit text of this page". Click that & you'll get a form with the text of the page inside it.
    Wiki has its own markup, but it's very very simple & you can pick it up by following what's on a page so far.
    (there's a markup reference page too.)

Read http://www.imahosting.com/unrealwiki/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?New_Contributors_Quick_Start and if it isn't totally clear to a newcomer, improve it :D

9. Captain Kewl

Captain Kewl I know kewl.

That, and any math you take in high school beyond Precalculus really *isn't* going to help you in college, anyway. College calculus is on an entirely different level from AP (personal experience.)

10. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

eh.. that sounds like someone can essentially delete all the material?

11. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

:) yeah, everyone worries about that, but it doesn't seem to be a problem with most wiki sites.
    Go see www.wikipedia.com, that was made with the same system & they've accumulated 20,000 entries in one year.

The system keeps recent versions, so if someone deletes a page, anyone can just as easily restore it.
    It's not much of a risk IMO and the advantages of the system hugely outweigh it.

The server there seems to be down at the moment :( but anyone from the coding forum is very welcome to come & take part.

12. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

I've had a cunning plan about the Wiki -- we could use it to hold open source snippets of UnrealScript, eg Quaternion rotation.

UsAaR33, can I add the maths function page to the list of open source stuff?

13. ChimpyNutz

ChimpyNutz Major Dilema

I work for a 16 Billion $ company in MIS department as lead developer on a programming team.
    I did more than my fair share of drugs growing up :).
    As long as you remember that things need to be done in moderation you'll be able to handle the stuff around you. For instance, drinking isn't illegal, but I work with a lot of people who would do much better at their jobs if they didn't drink as much as they do.. of course their jobs may be why they drink as much as they do. ;-P
    Also... I work with people who have gotten their Masters Degree in Comp Sci, or MIS, and frankly.. they really don't have an interest in programming.. so they blow at it. They just like to have the "degree" to make them appear smart. But their coding style bites, they don't understand the benefits of re-usable code. Their code is cryptic, unstructured and difficuly to understand. Which in the MIS industry is a bad thing. No project ever ends.. There are always mods to be done and it's never the original coder stuck doing them.
    So.. if you like programming.. enjoy it... be moderate in any recreational "activity"... make sure you aren't getting stoopid!!

Good Luck

14. TaoPaiPai

TaoPaiPai Commisaire Van Loc

Yes.
    That and Just stay out of any drug/addictive substance if you have the possibility to do so.

15. TaoPaiPai

TaoPaiPai Commisaire Van Loc

Hey HEY!
    ( :p sorry I'm still in my NFG bad trip from yesterday...)

Whatever ,if you guys are really into the useless math fetish stuff I can provide you with some decimal ->balanced ternary algorythm (that's about the most complex math algorythm I've written :p )

Actually Uscript provides enough tools to ignore the trig stuff in many cases (rotator to vector to rotator conversions).

16. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

I was thinking we could build up a collection of classes too.
    For example, last week someone posted here about a trigger that can listen for several events.

If things like that were open source on the wiki, it would cut out a lot of "reinventing the wheel" scripting for us all. :tup:

17. Eater1

Eater1 Coder

But reinventing the wheel feels sooo good every time I do it (even if it's my own wheel I'm reinventing).
    Perhaps I'm just an unusual person.

Eater.

18. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

Sure, why not?

19. ChimpyNutz

ChimpyNutz Major Dilema

I'm sure very few people will agree with this... but I think it would be useful to post/adopt naming standards and conventions for any open source code that was to be posted.
    1) The original poster would get credit for it when it's referenced in other code. What I mean is all open source stuff would have particualr names indicating it's open source. so if you use it "as is" and others see your code, they know where/how you got it and who really deserves the credit.
    2) The naming of items would be consistent and easy to understand.

Just an idea... I do this for all my own code i write (granted that is only about 50 lines in UT so far ..hehehe) but in other languages I do the same thing. For instance I can always tell the scope/type of a variable simply by the naming of it.