1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

USB Flash memory stick in windows 98

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Old Gil, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Old Gil

Old Gil °J2°'s resident lagger

can anyone help me out with this? i just installed windows 98 on my old laptop, and i need a driver for my USB flash memory stick, i don tknow what brand it is, but on the chip on the inside (see through case) it says

Samsung 334
    K9K2G08U0M

i checked www.samsung.com but it doesent show that they even make memory stick drives let alone supply drivers for them, does anyone know if i can use any USB driver? or perhaps find the one thats imbedded in windows XP and use it in windows 98?

2. Swedix

Swedix Retired from UT2004

If you look at the bottom of This page, under the colored table, you will see USB Flash Disk Driver for Windows 98 with some different drivers.

If non of the works, you might try a driver from here

3. Old Gil

sweet bro, i downloaded the first 2 ones (last one would take me a lil while to do...) but i dont know how to install them.. its just a zip file with 4 files and no readme or anything...

EDIT**** i tried the first 2 drivers from samsung site, i just put the files in a folder on my C: drive and when i entered the wizard i told it to look there for a driver for my device, but no luck, and i downloaded the Disk On Key driver, but that didnt work either :(

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  4. Swedix

Ok, I downloaded the files and checked them.
    Do like this:
    Unzip the files to a folder.
    You have two inf-files.
    Rightclick on the inf-file which is NOT named Uninstall.inf, and from the menu, chose Install.
    It will install the files for correct folder and add the registry key needed,

Try the different versions one by one. If the first doesn't work, you can uninstall it by right clicking the Uninstall.inf and select install from the menu.

5. Old Gil

first off, you are a god....

and second off, where do i find this driver that it installs, when i click install it does nothing, and i restart my computer and nothin happens and when i go to install the driver, it prompts me to find the location for it, i try the folder that the 4 files are in, but once again no luck :(

and when i say choose from a selected driver, i look and find something called "memory drives" or something like that, and i tried all 3 options in there, but still no luck :(

6. Swedix

I'm sorry. I have no more ideas.

Either try a newer version of Windows or if you don't Win98SE, try to get it.

7. 8-4-7-2

8-4-7-2 New Member

They won't make drivers because on modern operating systems you don't need them

It's just that Windows98 doesn't have USB support. That only came with SE, and even there it's not always working properly

8. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

Use a version of Windows that people support. That fixes lots of things, cause, like, the drivers are all already there. Windows 2000 is a great choice. ;)