1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UnrealEd XMP Specific Info

Discussion in 'Unreal 2' started by bendman, May 16, 2004.

1. bendman

bendman budding Dev wannabe

Hey, I was looking for this and thought it was kind of hard to find considering it's so important for editing. I figured what the heck, if your gonna have info about XMP editing you might as well put it into the XMP forums. I may get lucky and they could make it a sticky ;)

This came from Scott Dalton (Legend Designer) in the Atari forums
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=338348

Hope this helps people trying to make maps as much as it did me :)

2. [DF]phalanx

[DF]phalanx bgutblower=true

:)
    now how do i get surfaces on my fluids :(

3. Air7725

Air7725 Urusai

select a texture right click on your fluid surface Go Display > skin > add > then hit use (it will use current selected texture

4. Twigathy

Twigathy New Member

5. bendman

Thanks, I'm making a level with a heightmap now :) Good timing

Except it says access is denied :(

6. Twigathy

Twigathy New Member

Ah, well if you sign up then I _think_ access is allowed. If not, poke me again and i will fiddle with settings again.

7. bendman

Hey, does anyone know of a good source on how to do triggers...

I'm trying to make a castle with a 'drawbridge' by using the shieldwalltrigger from Alcazar and making it horizontal, but I have NO idea how to even begin.

8. Twigathy

Twigathy New Member

To be honest, I think you would be better off using a mover and a hacktrigger, check out Rapant or Face 1vs1 for some nice examples of doors :)

9. fireball

fireball Reach out and torch someone

Myr's SkyIslands has a drawbridge.

10. bendman

Where do I get that map? And where do maps that are downloaded during play end up, because it doesn't seem like they're in the maps folder.

11. Twigathy

Twigathy New Member

Check your Cache folder (e.g. D:\Games\XMP\Cache\), open the text file. It shows you what file is what map. Then you can just rename the file, delete the entry in the text file, transfer the renamed file into your XMP Maps dir and have fun :).

e.g. 2A0CF5B04A313390F9A5E0977119A811=XMP-GEOmassif.unr (In the .INI)
    rename 2A0CF5B04A313390F9A5E0977119A811 to XMP-GEOmassif.unr
    Transfer XMP-GEOmassif.unr to your Maps folder
    Delete the line 2A0CF5B04A313390F9A5E0977119A811=XMP-GEOmassif.unr (In the .INI)

12. bendman

Thx, I got a map working and all with the test play feature in UnrealEd (not the one I was making before, this one took me about 20 minutes) but when I start a server with it and try to play it over the network it's all messed up.

When you start it doesn't let you choose your class and you can't move or anything, anybody know what I did wrong?

13. fireball

fireball Reach out and torch someone

Add a loader (under actors) anywhere.

14. bendman

K, I got a drawbridge working (garage door mesh in Rampant) as a mover, but right now it opens when you shoot it, because that's all I can get to work.

My goal is to have a switch to the side of the door the color of the base owner, but it can't be hackable, and when used it changes the keyframe of the door from 0 to 1 or back again.

I got it working great with the shooting thing, but this is only for now, as it could be really annoying in a game, having an enemy ranger close the door on a person from across the map. Not to mention if a tech shoots it twice with his assualt rifle it doesn't do anything.

EDIT: I added some screenshots so you don't have to go off of imagination alone. Keep in mind there will be a river under the bridge and things inside, so I can't go too big. (and if you're curious, this isn't the level, its just the beginning of one base for experimenting with)

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      74.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      74 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      64.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 22, 2004
  15. NRK

NRK Nercury

A lot of info about Static meshes, texturing them, even if you dont have 3dsmax.
    Static Meshes: From 3DS Max 5 to Unreal Ed 3 - Contents Page:
    http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/kelbeau/max2ued/html/contents.html

To change node color in 1st picture bellow, just add 2nd skin to replace existing under Display->Skins.

To Make TeamStaticMesh actor to react to HackTriggers in 2nd picture, add Alternate Skins to it, 0 for red 1 for blue and make sure the tag is the same as HackTrigger's you use.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  16. Lysander

Lysander «§²»Shadow2.0

All i get on unreal ed for xmp maps is that it can not find a startin point.

I have placed lots of player starts by my deploy points and set them up as red team and blue team but despite all of this just get same message when i come to play test. Cannot find a start point

You guys musta got the same at some point any help please?

17. Ðork

Ðork Dork online, since '99

XMP doesn't use player starts at all, but you must have one deploy point each for Red and Blue (Team=0 and Team=1) which are not hackable (bUsable=false).
    If you have got this and still get the "no starting point" message, upload the map and someone might take a look into it.

18. Lysander

Lysander «§²»Shadow2.0

TY, i didnt hav em busable = false, still i was lookin at garden map for help and it has bout ten player starts round deploy so it thru me big time

Cheers Dork

19. bendman

Yeah, I have no idea why they put player starts around those, maybe they used them when testing or something? But the official maps are (usually) the only ones that have player starts around them, because a map works just fine without them.

20. Lysander

Lysander «§²»Shadow2.0

Can anyone tell me how UT2k3 maps are brought into XMP?

The Anubis map in the AP pack is straight out of UT2k3 and although i hav software that can remove textures from it i cant use its maps or staic meshes. Be interested to know, then could start really do interestin maps for xmp