1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE2 - UT2kX UnrealEd Volume Texture Help

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Madame Bunni, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Madame Bunni

Madame Bunni Queen of Everything

Ok, so. I'm new here and I just started this game design class at school. My first project is a simple little labyrinth with a fountain in the middle (and exploding sheep statues! Yay!). I've created the fountain using random static meshes...kinda thrown together to look like a fountain. Well, I'm trying to create a water volume inside the fountain, and it's a really funky shape. So my teacher created a brush from the static mesh to get the shape of the fountain and turned it into a volume.

So here's the deal. When you walk up to the fountain and shoot, it's behaving like there's water there, but the texture I'm trying to apply won't show up, in game or in the editor, and I can't figure out how to make it work.

Ultimately, all I want to do is make it look like there's water in there. It'd be cool to splash about, but honestly this thing's due Monday, and I care more about the aesthetics at this point.

Seriously, if there's an easier way to do this, I'm all ears. I just want the appearance of water, whether it's a volume or a fluidsurface, I don't really care. If you wanna take a look at the mesh I'm using, it's the tower top thingy (not the broken one) in the Albatross Architecture package.

Oh, I should also mention we're using UT2004 for this class, so keep it old school. ;D

Any suggestions are much needed and appreciated!

2. Phoenix_Wing

Phoenix_Wing Official Kantham Stalker

The Water Volume just makes the area swimmable, a Fluid Surface makes the floaty wavey water that you want. Make a new FluidSurfaceInfo, arrange its size to fit the fountain, then go in the Display tab of its Properties go down to Skins. Click there, then you should see a little button on the right that says Add. Click it. On the new line add your texture reference there.

If its sticking out (if you have hexagonal, circular, etc fountain) then you will need to use an Alpha channel on your texture so it only appears on your fountain

3. Madame Bunni

Yeah. XD;; That was gonna be my last resort. It's actually the matter of figuring out how big that fountain is to get the Alpha channel the right size that makes me wanna cry. But I'll probably end up having to do that anyway. I tried using that xProcMesh but even my teach couldn't figure that one out. Sorry, for my noobness; this is the first time I've messed with a program like this. It's really easy to understand...but there's just so many options. XD.

Anyway, thanks for the reply! Seems like that's the simplest option (for me to understand anyway. XD)

4. Phoenix_Wing

Phoenix_Wing Official Kantham Stalker

You could always use a plain added brush with a water texture pasted on to it. It wont go splash, but it would work and save you a lot of trouble

5. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

I'll move this to the Mapping forum btw, since more people who actually work with this stuff and may be able to help are more likely to see it there. :)

P.S. Exploding sheep sounds awesome! Are you gonna show us the end result? :D

6. Madame Bunni

Pheonix_Wing: That was the very first thing I did, and it was making the brush into the shape that got tedious. But I ended up using an xProcMesh and it did what I needed (despite a few scaling issues)! Thanks! ;)

hyrulian: Love the name, and the avatar! XD I thought about it, but it's so noobish that I'm embarassed to show it publically. It's my first time messing with the program from scratch, so it looks kinda silly. But those sheep will definitely make a person paranoid. :D