UnrealEd mouse problems on 'new' computer

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

faded_memories

Mar 4, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
I used to play UnrealTournament all the time. A couple of years ago I needed to remodel a business and decided the editor would be a way for me to figure out the layout of the new elements and give me some drawings to turn over to an architect. It worked great!

I am now getting involved in a new business and want to layout again using UnrealEd.

My last round I was using a couple of PCs, and I now have an Intel iMac. While I do still have the older machines, it will be WAY more convenient to use my main desktop machine now.

I loaded up all my old files to the iMac a couple of days ago, and everything went pretty smooth. (Running VMware Fusion with Windows 7.) Got it installed and was actually surprised by how fast it booted up. Awesome.

I quickly started playing around with it. (Been a long time since I used it at all.) Holy crap, I can barely control it! WTF? The mouse seems overly sensitive.

I have tried changing the windows mouse settings (tracking), and on the Mac side too. I can get my curser DRAGGING across the screen, but once I click in one of the viewports it zooms all over the place. If I work in the 3D view I can quickly lose track.

It gets even weirder. Sometimes when I drag in one direction I will see the window move a little one way and then continue in the opposite direction. About half the time it doesn't go the way I expect at all, and sometimes the views start spinning.

I hope someone can help me tame the mouse issue so I can get back to learning the editor for the 3rd time....

Thanks!

iMac 1.83 Intel Core Duo
2 GB Ram
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (wired)

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I have never used that program but if your mouse works fine on the Mac and lousy once in Fusion, I would imagine it's a problem with the program. I would mess around with any settings it offers for acceleration and such. I'd also probably look at what kind of mouse drivers Windows 7 reports and see if you can do anything with those.

There's only a few Mac users on this forum AFAIK.

faded_memories

Mar 4, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
Aren't you supposed to be able to use the arrow keys in UnrealEd as well? To help nudge brushes for more precise alignment? My arrow keys don't do anything either. Perhaps another valuable clue.

I don't have access to a KVM, so going back to an older machine is not very attractive, but I need to get to work on this project.

I played around with the software on my older laptop and did a couple basic adds subtracts and intersections. The interface LOOKS nicer on the iMac but the controls are almost impossible to move brushes around.

Sigh.

faded_memories

Mar 4, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
The machine is an Intel iMac, so the software isn't running on an emulator, it is actually running a full version of Windows 7.

I gave up and started using my old Compaq laptop (Vista), but it is a pain moving everything around between machines. (I don't have a KVM switch.)

I got back into things enough to get the basic layout done, now I am trying to figure out how to import my own textures. I have done it in the past, but my last couple attempts didn't work.

I cropped an image to 256x256, reduce to 256 colors, and saved as .bmp and .pcx but neither one did anything when I tried to import. Not even an error message, just nothing there.

faded_memories

Mar 4, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
I finally gave up on that and just have the laptop on my desk hooked up to my big monitor.

I think the problem actually lies somewhere inside VMWare Fusion. (I migrated a copy of my laptops Vista into Fusion and still had the same problems. What a PITA.)

Now I'm having a problem all of a sudden where my textures wont scale down below about .27. (And I run many at about .125.) So, I started a thread on that and remembered to update this one.

Thanks for reading, and any help on my new problem much appreciated.

-eric

Taaske

HappySucker
Jan 7, 2006
Hi,
same problems here with the spinning content in the viewport. Started since i am using win7; no problems in XP. Leftclick in viewport start an x-y (horizontal) spinning. Rightclicking starts z (vertical) spinning. I am using a G5 logitec mouse with in setpoint the OS as leading.
Any progress on the matter?
grtz