1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unrealadmin

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zur, May 12, 2011.

1. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

Has been down for a while. Anyone know what's happened to the site?

2. Jrubzjeknf

Jrubzjeknf Registered Coder

3. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately, since there has been no Unreal news over the last 4 years and nobody has much hope of their being any Unreal news in the near future, it is probably likely to expect that more and more Unreal focused web sites will start disappearing. There has never been a gap like this in the history of Unreal. Quite sad to see :(

4. BITE_ME

BITE_ME Bye-Bye

Just make some fake news.
    The USA does it all the time.

5. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

Guess when Beyondunreal was created, it was named to be future proof ;)

6. Vitamin-Carrot

Vitamin-Carrot If

I dont understand why - i mean BU does well enough doesnt it? - the UE3 seems to be selling rather well - i guess it is really only a problem for those sites that are specifically about Unreal and UT

7. Sir_Brizz

BU gets by. If we didn't try to cover non-Unreal games and already have a fairly large, dedicated community, we'd probably be gone by now, too. Epic is nice to us (or, rather, certain people at Epic are), but even so we don't get any favors for being one of the last stalwarts. It takes a lot of effort to run a site like UnrealAdmin and if there is no support and nothing going on, there isn't much reason to expend the effort.

8. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Only reason people come here is for Off Topic and the community. :lol:

;)

9. Sir_Brizz

I wouldn't say it's the only reason, but that is where most of the activity is.

10. AWW SNACK

AWW SNACK New Member

The Unreal forums are mostly dead, but there's still quite a bit of good info hidden in them (Leo TCK and his Unreal 1 beta version info comes to mind), and it's kinda neat looking back in the archives on the Unreal 1 and UT99 forums back when BU was still a part of Planet Unreal.

11. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

There are still large SP campaigns and other maps being released for Unreal 1 and UT1. Not quite dead yet.

12. M.A.D.X.W

M.A.D.X.W Active Member

Everyday the active members number drops on BU. I've been monitoring it.

13. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

Never seen so many fatalists in my life :lol:.

14. thewalkingman

thewalkingman ssssssssssss bugger!

I only visit here to pass on coded messages onto my al qaeda brethren.

15. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

:lol: qft

16. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

It's not really so much a lack of unreal news. It's more to do with the state of epics pc community as a while. Bulletstorm was recently released. I would have thought udk would be more than enough for us. Despite this the community remains apathetic.

17. Entr0p1cLqd

Entr0p1cLqd New Member

It takes quite a bit of effort and a heck of a lot of knowledge to do anything interesting with the UDK so it's not so suprising.

I've just started investigating mechanisms to allow procedural level generation using the UDK. But my focus is the code, and trying to figure out if it's even possible (maybe, under certain conditions; not sure yet). To be able to do anything "meaningful" I'd need a slew of modellers and artists simply because the base "art level" of a game has risen significantly.

But real life will soon intrude on the time I can spend toying with the idea and the code I've produced will join the great heap of unfinished projects I have on my HD.

btw, I'm not apathetic, I just don't think I have anything to say that is particularly interesting. I've still not really forgiven Epic for not releasing Gears 2 for the PC; and Bulletstorm's potty mouth put me right off the game.

18. Sir_Brizz

I think UDK could be enough, but there aren't a lot of people working on "community" projects. And I think a lot of the problems people are having in this community right now with Epic are around a few points such as using GFWL despite being told by practically everyone that they hate GFWL and don't want to use it, their comments on the PC in general (from Cliff, Mike, Mark, and a few others), the fact that the Gears series premiered on PC eventually but will get no sequels... I could probably make this list go on but wow those are pretty frustrating things.

19. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

UA.org has been without real, active admins for a long time already. (I have been promoted to "admin" but I'm neither really active nor do I really have admin access.) In fact, you'd have to wonder why the site worked without problems for this long.

20. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

Who is behind UA.org ?