1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal XP

Discussion in 'Unreal' started by Clavius, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Reign

Reign The only candy with the Petey crunch

Odd. I don't see why Unreal doesn't work for him unless it has something to do with openGL
    My System:
    XP Home
    P4 2.6 GHZ
    512 MB DDR SDRAM
    GeForce4 MX420 64MB
    DirectX 9

I've never had any problem running Unreal1 226f patched or the Editor.
    I never use openGL support though as I perfer Direct3D support. It runs like a dream for me so I doubt if XP is the problem.

2. Lynxx

Lynxx New Member

if you would like to get a small idea of how the AMD 64bit proc performs on a few applications, pick up the Dec. issue of Maximum PC. Apple's latest offering is benchmarked side-by-side. you MAY be surprised.

3. MrMaddog

MrMaddog Flak Monkey

Some people have been known to dual-boot between XP and 98, which makes sense considering Win98 runs the most stuff including DOS and older Windows games without problems.

You can still run your old stuff on a 64-bit PC to a degree. Windows programs should have no problem on XP (though you may have to play with compatiablty settings sometimes). It's DOS programs that need an older 32-bit OS (win98 or even MS-DOS) to run, but it can still be done if you partition your hard drives.

4. Lynxx

Lynxx New Member

it has been looking as tho the 64bit from intel will not be running 32bit apps. the AMD chip runs 32 and 64 at present.

edit- btw microshaft will release a 64 bit version of XP soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2003
  5. dinwitty

dinwitty DeRegistered User

I think it was in MS's plans XP to have a 64 bit version, If I buy a 64 bit system I would buy XP for it.

but it better run 32 bit apps with AMD.

AMD has their 64 bit chip out now? where is Intel, anyway?

6. MrMaddog

MrMaddog Flak Monkey

Intel's 64-bit is only meant for servers and not desktop PC's, and even if it does run 32-bit stuff it's only through slow emulation anyway.

Athlon64 will run 32-bit stuff just like how 32-bit Intels can run the old 8-bit and 16-bit programs. There's no way AMD would release it otherwise :)

As far as the 64-bit XP, MS will release it as a patch like UT2004 will be. Only you'll have to pay for the pleasure of downloading it of course :rolleyes:

Right now I wouldn't recommend a 64-bit PC until a decent 64-bit OS comes out for it. Oh you can run the usual WIndows on it, but it's a bit of a waste with how much money you pay on it IMHO. The high end Athlon XP's are coming down in price though :D

7. UnrealPschyo

UnrealPschyo TCA Commander

Hah! Mine ALWAYS worx! J00 suck!

8. Hyper

Hyper Hyper.nl Unreal Services

There is tons of 32-bit software. Any 64 bit consumer processor that does not support 32-bit software will not make it to the stores. That's why AMD64 is such a good solution: Ready for 64 bit but also runs all existing 32-bit software at fast speeds. Believe me, there will be 32-bit software on our PC's for still many years to come, coexisting with new 64-bit software.

9. BITE_ME

BITE_ME Bye-Bye

No one is going to replace all their 32 bit software with 64 bit software. Microsoft is going to start loosing money.

10. Slim Vision

Slim Vision God

Going back to the original topic, I can't run Unreal either... Although my problem's largely down to the fact I used Windows Server 2003 as a workstation... The whole compatability thing is pretty much thrown out the window (heh heh, get it?) with that. Modern games work, old one's don't.

Unreal trys to start up, get's past the splash screen and then the screen goes black for a second, then it goes back to the desktop, but the top left side of the screen remains black. Unreal appears in the TaskBar, then after 2 seconds the black thing disamappears, as does Unreal from the TaskBar.

Application properties does contain compatability options but none of them work. I don't actually think compatability is enabled on Server 2003 by default anyway and I canney be arsed to find the service for it or whatever.

The Unreal.log file remains blank. No User or Unreal INI file is created. If I try and run UED I get an error about some DLL file being missing. If I try and run Unreal in safe mode it crashes immiediatly with a general protection fault and a load of gobbledygook.

Basically, Unreal is conbuggerated on my system, but I live to accept that.

/end seemingly pointless post.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  11. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

I've managed to get the game installed. except I can't play it because my disc is scratched to hell and back. :( lol

I really wanted to ply some retro unreal after finding it in a box of old stuff

12. Delacroix

Delacroix Successor of Almarion

Going back to the original topic:

- revert to D3D support, or even software rendering.
    - try OldSkool Amp'd & Unreal Tournament
    - buy Unreal Gold instead. UG works on Win XP with no known problems. Besides, it includes the mission pack and a nicely done GUI (cloned from UT's of course).

13. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

You can just patch it.

Of if you want to play the original version, just go to C:\Unreal\System and edit the Unreal.ini then find the line that says something like CDPath= and change it to C:\Unreal

14. Slim Vision

Slim Vision God

A question springs to mind. Does the mission pack RTNP work on XP without any trouble?

Only I have that and I know how to make Unreal run on it without the need for a mod to be installed.

15. Delacroix

Also another way is to copy the Unreal direcory and select it as CD path. The patch WILL detect all required files and use them

Return to Na pali works (as well as Unreal) fine on XP. If anyone has problems, it is NOT the fault of that OS.

16. Slim Vision

Slim Vision God

Whom (or what) is at fault then if it isn't the Operating System?

17. Delacroix

For instance it could be the conflict of video card drivers and the OS itself - if you forget to uninstall the previous drivers when installing new ones, this might be the case. D3D acceleration can sometimes be faulty when playing at nVidia cards - use OpenGL whenever you can. Revert to the latest version of the game (226 final, not 226a or 226b) as it includes D3D support taken from UT ver.420. Still doesn't help? Check the processor. Old K6III and Celeron models don't quite like Unreal.

Besides, I never had a single crash since I moved to Unreal Gold. Before that - only a few crashes on the non-patched version. And that is really all.

18. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I've been able to run Unreal fine on any computer. Except it runs double time on X2's.

19. Delacroix

Yep... Unreal doesn't cause problems. Unless one has scr**ed something up in the system files.

20. Slim Vision

Slim Vision God

Hmm. Thing is, mine doesn't just crash after it's loaded. It doesn't load full stop, and that's with the 226f patch installed as well. No user or Unreal ini is created. It begins to load then just craps out before it get's anywhere. It's not a Direct3D problem either, I turned acceleration off completely and tried the game again (so it should have loaded in software rendering mode right?), but it still wouldn't work. My card drivers are the latest, but I haven't installed them over old ones (In fact I had only just reinstalled the entire system when I tried to play Unreal so it was essentially fresh).

2K3 does have the same compatability thing in the properties as XP does, but I tried it on various settings such as compatability mode for Win 95 or 98/ME, even 2000 - didn't work. The only thing I didn't try was OpenGL because I couldn't be bothered to redownload that 226f patch with openfgl support. But That I reckon that wouldn't work either, since, again, with D3D off, the game should have loaded in software rendering mode, but it didn't.

Safe mode is a no go, and UnrealED crashes with an error. So as it stands there's not a lot suggesting to me that this isn't a problem with Unreal or the operating system. At least in my situation anyway. But it's not a problem. Chances are RTNP will work. Thena gain chances are it won't.

But I can't be bothered to try anything anymore.:(