1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal XP

Discussion in 'Unreal' started by Clavius, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Clavius

Clavius New Member

I have tried to play Unreal using the 224v patch, with the Open GL patch on www.oldunreal.com, the 226f patch, and with the Open GL patch. All I get is the splash screen for a millisecond on the desktop. Suggestions?

XP Home
    P 4 1.4 GHZ
    384 MB RDRAM
    GeForce Ti 4600
    Direct X 9b

2. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

look in your Unreal\System directory and open Unreal.log to see if you got any errors during runtime.

3. Clavius

Clavius New Member

The Unreal.log is blank.

4. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

Unreal won't always run using Windows XP.

Do you have Unreal Tournament? Because if you install Usaar33's Oldskool Amp'd mod (http://www.usaar33.com), you can integrate your Unreal maps and music into UT and run them perfectly with full savegame functionality.

That's what I've done, as I have XP Pro and Unreal won't run.

5. zynthetic

zynthetic robot!

try running in safe mode first.
    If that runs then experiment w/ the differnt command lines safe mode uses. By default it'll disable about everything except software video. Enable everything one by one until you've determined the problem.

6. dinwitty

dinwitty DeRegistered User

Xp is supposed to have a win98 compatibility mode.

other things to check

latest bios and motherboard drivers
    latest vidcard drivers
    audio drivers

I find it silly I could install WinXP on this system, which is on Win98, and I see a problem like this crop up, its just dumb.

I wish MS would wake up.

7. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

I know it's fun to hate Microsoft, but I don't think it's entirely fair to expect their software to be compatible with every legacy application.

IMO, the good of Windows XP far outweighs the bad - once I've used TweakUI to disable a few things, that is.

8. dinwitty

pentiums are backwards compatible to the XT.
    I could install an old DOS prog and it would work.

MS is just playing the obslescense game technically on us...

Unreal should WORK on XP.

duh

9. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

I know, I've seen several DOS apps run on XP. But you can't support everything.

Pentium / AMD chips won't be backwards compatible forever. When the 64-bit PCs come along, the old apps are screwed :).

10. ingen

ingen Seek peace...

Disable DirectSound... it worked for me!

11. Sir_Brizz

How can you expect that? 32-bit processors STILL support 32-bit applications. It's a fallacy that Intel has lead the industry to believe...that 32-bit apps could not possibly run on a 64-bit processor.

The Athlon 64 (hopefully out by the end of this year) will support both 32 and 64-bit apps.

12. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

I thought I heard that they were breaking backward compatibility so that the chip wouldn't have to be too over-engineered. I may be wrong.

13. dinwitty

AMD will be backward compatible, Intel will not.

if you ask me, that will break intel with that decision.
    If anything, someone is going to make a 32 bit emulator for a 64 bit system

14. Sir_Brizz

Athlon 64 is widely accepted you can be sure Intel has an answer up their sleeve.

Personally I think it is dumb to break compatibility in this day and age. Unless there is some mind-boggling chage it is retarded.

15. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

On the other side of the coin, it could be argued that it's dumb that the 10GHz Athlon 128-bit processor, when and if it arrives in the future, should still have to support machines as early as the 4MHz 8-bit Intel 8086, as it would have to be overengineered to f**k. But I see where you're coming from.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2003
  16. dinwitty

I see no reason why the instructions cant be in it, technically you'de have 8 distinct processors working 8 bits of data possible.
    and you know someone out there is going to be stupid and try to run a 32 bit prog or 16 or 8 bit on the 64 bit system and wonder why it crashes. It's sure to ahppen.

ah duh, mr techie person, I try to ran my old game on my new system but it freezes the screen and it dont do nuthin, what is wrong?

I can see a bunch of tech helpers banging their heads against the wall on this one.

"You CANT RUN That PROG On That System!!! GRrr Argh When aaYA gonn learn?!?!?!?&$*@^$(*&^%!@#$"

It's solveable, but the makers better try to avoid people making phonecalls like this.

You may as well just build a MAC instead.

17. Sir_Brizz

I don't see why it would necessitate OVERengineering, as all it would do is redirect each 8 bits to another 8 bit address on the processor... it ought to just make it run 16x faster because it can process 16 sets of 8 bits at a time.

[edit] comparing to your 128 bit example lol :eek:

18. MrMaddog

MrMaddog Flak Monkey

Yeah, I've been checking out sites that go into detail about the Athlon64 and here's how it is compatibily-wise...

Run a 64-bit OS, like a patched up Windows XP, and you can run 32-bit stuff along side the 64-bit stuff. You can't run 8-bit DOS or 16-bit Windows programs since the 32/64-bit "long mode" doesn't support real or protected modes respectively.

Run a 32-bit OS, like Windows 98, and it acts just like any 32-bit Intel CPU. There you can run your old DOS and 16-bit Windows stuff in "legacy mode".

Oh yeah, as far as running Unreal on XP try playing with the compatibility settings. Or check out http://www.ntcompatible.com

Hope this helps...

19. Hellscrag

Hellscrag UnrealSP'er

If what MrMaddog says is true, you could do worse than to have a dual boot w/ Win98 and WinXP.

20. dinwitty

it will be anti-helpfull to the consumer like me if I decide to buy a 64 bit system
    and I cant run any of my old software on it. Do I toss out my old software or do I toss out my new 64 bit system?

buhbye 64 bit system. I wont buy a 64 bit system unless I know it can do it.